Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Ghosts of the Forest

After seeing the Finley Wildlife Refuge elk herd (which doesn't mean they stay there as elk have a regular circuit they usually follow that can encompass quite a few miles), I was interested in the Dean Creek Elk Preserve which is east of Reedsport just off Highway 38. We stopped there on our way back from the Oregon Coast this week-end.

There, 1000 acres have been fenced and set aside for the elk with the lower pastures improved to their taste. For humans there is a nice parking lot, restrooms and sidewalks; so anyone can see these beautiful animals without a hike. The fences I saw there didn't seem to me they would really keep them in if they wanted to jump out, although they appeared quite content to stay where they were when we saw them February 6.

The Coast Range has several of these preserves, but this was my first time to visit one. I do see elk every so often in the area where I live-- never when I plan though.

When we were in Yellowstone this summer, I got the closest (in the wild) I have been to Rocky Mountain Elk. They had no reason to fear people. The elk at Dean Creek, Roosevelt Elk, do have reason as there is a hunting season in Oregon although they would be safe in their preserve and since it provides pasture and hills, it gives the habitat they need. I am not sure how they thin the herd but there are barns and corrals nearby; so maybe it's a managed range in all ways.

The pasture section, just off the highway and Umpqua River is a restored wetlands where not only the elk benefit from the safety but also migratory birds which consider this an important resting spot on their way north or south.It was interesting to see the different grouping here. Often I do see the bulls not with the herd as they will linger back in the woods-- their hunting season is longer than that of the cow. This time though the bulls had their own little group, the cows in the largest herd and a bit down the road were the yearling calves with their own gang. Farm Boss thought one older cow was with them but to me they all looked young. I suspect the calves were being pushed off by their mothers as they will have been weaned as the cows put their energy toward the baby growing in their wombs which will be born in May or June.

7 comments:

Paul said...

Lovely pics and majestic animals ! Thank God for Teddy Roosevelt ! :-)

Anonymous said...

There is a place on Highway 1 in northern California between Crescent City and Orick, where a herd of elk can often be seen. I loved making that drive especially for the chance to see them. Such beautiful creatures.

Anne said...

I really want to see this. Your pictures are lovely, and it is so close to home, I should get Jerry to take a trip. Thanks for writing about this elk preserve.

Unknown said...

Some of these I recognize from the day before when we tried to take pictures and I tried to sketch. My sketches didn't turn out well. I tried to do ink over pencil and lost every feature and gesture.

Darlene said...

They certainly look like well fed healthy animals. I have seen single Elks in Wyoming and Colorado, but never a herd. Thanks for more great pics.

Rain Trueax said...

If you make it down that far, Anne, be sure you check out Sunset Bay State Park and that whole natural area beyond the fishing village of Charleston. It's like British Columbia beaches for its ruggedness. What I am eager to see is being back there when the Elephant Seals are calving in the area.

I've been lucky enough to see some big elk herds around us, Darlene, but never the division to the level I saw in this one of the ages and sexes. But breeding season was November/December and our rams tend to pal around more with each other except during breeding season.

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful information you ргоviԁe in your artісles.
Ӏ'll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

Feel free to surf to my web-site ... green egg