Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, September 08, 2008

This and that

[Update: While I appreciate comments from everyone, including with different opinions, if any get to the nasty point, which I have seen more other places than here, I will delete them. Everyone here deserves to have their opinion respected and should respect those of others. Also if someone posts the same thing multiple places, it will only stay in the latest blog, not everywhere. This is a very hot election season and I understand the passion people feel about their opinions. I would hate to have to stop allowing anonymous commenters, or monitoring, but I will if I have to do so. We don't all agree and that's healthy and okay, but we can do so civilly.]

Although I said the next blog would be on what my recent trip meant to me, and although I am working on it (it's not easy), the real world keeps intruding and other thoughts run this way and that in my head.

Yesterday was a beautiful day in the Northwest, a feeling of just a bit of fall in the air, temps in the low 80s, blue skies and made even better when our son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons came out to the farm in the afternoon. That was the beautiful side of life. We all sat under the big oak trees and discussed politics, the kids, life; then waded the creek to pick blackberries for them to take home. It was ordinary and special all at the same time.

This morning I woke to see the latest polls are showing McCain/Palin even more ahead-- 10 points in the USA Today likely voter poll. Depressed? You bet. I can't understand it and yet 8 years of Bush has made me understand what seems right to me does not to a lot of other people.

Gritting my teeth, I know I might have to once again accept that the majority of Americans don't think like me. I have to recognize our history has had many such moments and not just ours but around the world. I still have hope, but it's hard. I also have questions.

How do people bounce around so much on what they think in these polls? What impacts a voter to answer one way last week and another this? Is it all thinking Palin will actually be the president?

Yes, having read around the blog world, I do know how many are chortling over those same numbers and feeling relieved that now they will be safe, god will be pleased, and their taxes won't go up. No matter how many times Obama says he would not raise taxes on the middle class, too many voters don't believe him. They relate more to the rich than the poor.

I haven't given up but it's definitely not a happy thing to see today in the papers. Yesterday was a happy day, although with a kind of heavy cloud over it as our kids see the political situation as we do.

You can't believe how much I'd like to say this won't matter in the long run, get a grip, but wouldn't a draft matter to those of us with grandchildren or kids young enough to be caught up in it? Won't destruction of the environment matter to those of us who don't value dollars higher than anything else? What about endless wars around the world where our budget is further destroyed?

People who vote for Bush/McCain appear to worry more about welfare moms than wars. Welfare and aid to families is a tiny fraction of where our budget goes. Do such people really believe we can fight all these wars with no cost??? Why has it been okay with them to borrow the money to fund them making us more vulnerable in the world and now with a financial crisis that has not yet been handled, only delayed. How much do you think the government can really pick up if more banks start to fail? That guarantee is only good when the government has money to fund the losses. You think that can go on forever at the rate we are leaking money to wars overseas?

Are those who favor McCain aware how much his friend and adviser, Phil Gramm, had to do with these sub-prime mortgage failures? To make the economy look good for awhile, they allowed a lot of loans that never should have gone out but don't worry. They made money on it!

Since issues don't seem to trouble most voters, here's another question: I keep hearing how voters relate to Palin because she's like they are. when did it become good in this country to vote for ordinary people? When did being a good guy at a barbecue or a good mother become a reason to want them leading the government?

When did we stop wanting Thomas Jeffersons and begin to want George Bushes. The new George Bush with a beehive and glasses wears those to look ordinary, or so she says, just as Bush wore his boots, cowboy hat, and bought a little ranch, to look like a cowboy.

It's all about images and somehow a bi-racial and cultural man with a Harvard education and a brilliant mind just isn't ordinary to too many voters. Would it have helped if he'd graduated at the bottom of his class instead of being president of the Harvard Law Review?

And on that good mom thing, since I am writing stream of consciousness. Sarah Palin is supposed to be one; but their family was such that she kept from her own children the fact that she was pregnant until she was 7 months along. If you read the recent article [Fusing Politics and Motherhood in a new way], it shows how she eventually told her children about her pregnancy but still withheld the news of Downs Syndrome.

Inside Ms. Palin’s room, her daughter Willow, 14, immediately noticed her new brother’s condition, according to People magazine. “He looks like he has Down syndrome,” Willow said. “Why didn’t you tell us?”
I understand having a child born with a disability is not something you want or need to share with everybody. As the article indicates, it was a lot for them to absorb (although given their religious views it had to be from god); but their own children, when it would impact them so greatly, why not tell them? With that lack of communication from the parents, it's not surprising their daughter would wait until she was 5 months pregnant to tell her mother. So tell me, is lack of communication a right wing family virtue???

And no, it doesn't impact her ability to be president. It doesn't change what her political values are. Shaking my head. I really do need to take a vacation. Oh wait, I just did :)

17 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Everytime I look at or read the news the past few days I just feel like I'm drowning in idiocy! Where and when does it stop? And are most Americans really this stupid, not to be able to see it's the same old BS we've heard from republicans for the past eight years! Are we still such a nation of racists after all? You're right, we both need a vacation!

Anonymous said...

What is it about Sarah Palin that has gotten your knickers in a twist? Why are you criticizing, even mocking, everything from her hair to her faith?

She is exactly what you feminists claim to want and admire in women: strong, self-assured, a working mom, a political leader. But wait, she is a conservative Republican and because of that you hate her for displaying all of the aforementioned characteristics.

You are appalled that she would keep a Down Syndrome child when she could have aborted him. You are outraged when she speaks of God as if she knows Him, when YOUR only acquaintance with the name is as a curse word, followed by “damn.” You are even disgusted that she has five children, as you think one (or two if you are Obama) is enough.

Sarah Palin is to you on the left what sunlight is to a vampire. Her high heels have knocked y'all back on the heels of your birkenstocks.

SO FUNNY!

Anonymous said...

Uh, Sylvia...the DEMOCRAT congress led by a Democrat woman (Pelosi) approval rating is at 17%...where are THEIR promises kept??? Pelosi has embarrased all of us women!

As a woman, I feel that Obama is being rightfully criticized for both not picking Hillary as a running mate (and instead picking just another of the good 'ol boys...Biden for pete's sake) and the fact that he is SO much more INEXPERIENCED than even I have to admit, Palin.

We should be celebrating Sarah Palin for all her good work for special-needs children and women's issues. At least McCain isn't a sexist!

Rain Trueax said...

If Obama had chosen Clinton, most likely McCain would not have chosen Palin. Obama chose someone he felt could be president if he were killed and someone he could work with and used that as his criteria more than whether it would help him get elected. Will he lose for that judgment? Possibly but any woman who originally supported Hillary and votes for Palin does so because she never cared about the issues at all.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! To answer "anonymous," what has my knickers in a twist is this: every day I learn something about her that sounds more and more like Bush. For example, she abused her power by threatening to fire the librarian in Wasilla when she didn't cave in to the idea of banning of books; she is a pathological liar in that she was clearly for the Bridge to Nowhere when it suited her, but once it became the laughingstock of the country, she was against it; her executive experience as mayor of Wasilla included inheriting a small surplus and she left it $20M+ in debt after lobbying for and accepting millions of dollars in earmarks; she not only believes in but has promoted the shooting of wolves from airplanes, even against the advice of 172 scientists; she laughed when her supporters called her opponent a bitch; she's against abortions even in the case of rape or incest.

So if this is the definition of "conservative Republican," then yes, I oppose her.

We, meaning people who won't vote for her, don't hate her for being strong, self-assured, a working mom, or a political leader.

We dislike her because of her policies and attitudes towards other people.

Rain Trueax said...

sandi, i did not mock her hair. I said she stated she wears it that way to make herself seem more like everybody else. Have you seen pictures of her before she began it? She is a knock out, but a friend of mine, who is on the right, said she thought she looked ordinary. Well she looks as ordinary as a gorgeous woman can look and it's not accidental.

What gets me with her supporters are the superficial reasons for they want her for president. I don't want someone who uses their religion as an excuse for everything they do. God wants this or that. I would not support anyone who wants to use their religion to limit my options. If it limits theirs, that's up to them.

For me with Palin, it's about her abilities (very questionable if you look at her record), her bullying (using her position), and her stand on the issues. She tried to ban books (check your facts as that is one she nearly got recalled over). Palin is a proud christianist and that's not a Christian but a version of it who today cares more about gay marriage or abortion than taking care of the poor. I do know my Bible and most of what christianists have their own panties in a twist about has nothing to do with anything Jesus said.

Palin got put in position to be president because of that christianism, her beauty, her ability with a gun (hey I am pretty good with one too), and what a wonderful mother she is. None of which (even if true) qualifies her to be president and yet she well might become president sooner than later because of people who don't care if she understands finance, foreign policy, government, or anything else.

This is how we got Bush with people who want a leader who prays (or says they do) and believes god answers. My concern is what if he doesn't (which is what I believe spiritually and not just because I am a pagan. I wouldn't want a neo pagan who enforced their will onto others either. It's my opinion that religion is no reason to vote for someone. Obviously that is not the way a lot of others (possibly the majority) see it.

When Palin chose to have a child who had Downs Syndrome, it was her right to make that choice which I believe strongly in as a right. I don't blame her for which choice she made or her daughter either. Palin made the right choice for her beliefs and I would support fully her right to do so (even support government programs to help mothers who choose as she does but don't have her economic resources). She would deserve no moral credit (in anybody's book) for it at all though if there was no choice possible.

Rain Trueax said...

oh and one more thing, Republicans today are not conservatives. They are neo-cons or being duped by a world view that is anything but conservative. There is nothing conservative about using up all your resources, going around the world fighting wars you can't afford, borrowing to fund what you are not willing to pay for.

I hope you women who support Palin will look at more than fox or Rush for what she actually did while in office. A desire to send abortion to back alleys again is not a good reason to vote in a president who could destroy this country through a mix of ignorance and vanity.

Sylvia K said...

uh, Rachel, you obviously need to get a life and stop posting anonymously if you really can back up all your claims. Feminists make me sick!

Anonymous said...

I have never commented before but I felt I had to say something. How can women just vote for a woman because of her sex? She is in favor of censorship. Thinks the war is divinely inspired and embraces everything that Bush has advocated. I feel like you do Rain where is everyone's head? Can they not see the harm this respublican administrationwill keep on bringing?

If you are not rich these people will see to it that you stay that way. They embrace the rich man. Not the middle class or poor. They bring social issues out and claim that you are evil if you believe women need to be pro choice. Or if you voice that our country may be wrong sometimes

One more thing why is being a feminist bad now days?. Would Sarah Palin be where she is if it wernt for the feminists in our history? Why is now bad to say you are a feminist. I think it is just another word for equal

Rain Trueax said...

Always nice to see a new commenter here, last anonymous. Thanks for voicing your opinion. I appreciate all comments, agree or not, because they are part of a healthy discourse.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Hey, Rain, I posted my own comment as a result of a few "Sandi" left on my blog. By the way, she isn't a "real" person but yet another morph of someone who has periodically left really ugly remarks at Sacred Ordinary. If you e-mail her, you'll get a bounce.

But, I have allowed the few comments she/he (pretty sure she is a he) to stand because they were more reasonable than usual.

As for my Maureen Dowd article I posted, unlike you, I was amused in a black humor kind of way. Though she can be mean spirited in her columns, she is the mistress of popular culture influences of the public figures she profiles in her columns (a la Wikipedia). She takes on everybody.

I'm with you, however, regarding trying to figure out why in the hell this swing in support is happening. It seems like such a no-brainer to me, too. Hillary spoke in Florida today and we need a lot more of Hillary's support. I've been listening some to both Obama and McCain stump speeches and they are just condensing their convention speeches. Nothing new here.

I did just get a photo of Obama-Biden as a thank you for my campaign donation. I think I'll frame it.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I was shy about going out and campaigning in our neighborhood. I know in our immediate neighborhood there are some who have a view close to Christian Fundamentalists. This is something I have never done before. But that is all changed. This is absolutely the best way to elect Obama as president. I believe even the neighbors who don't want to talk to me and are angered by my approaching them are less angered by me than any other outreach to them. And because I ended the politics immediately by saying a OK and wishing them a good day, they might come around in the quiet of their own space as events come up itn the next two months. In our neighborhood we sahre the sadness that a house was returned to the bank and the nice hard working neighbor had to move out.

Rain Trueax said...

I think that's good, parapluie and same with our family. Not get nasty or out of control but express what we think about the issues and hope that time will show people the wisdom of our position :) Naturally it might not and when it's family or friends, we have to let it go as breaking a family apart over politics would be tragic. It's a huge difference though and makes it tough. Love though has to be most important.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is all terribly depressing, and like you, I Do Not Understand It!
Here we are 10 TRILLION $$'s in debt....and it is because of the last eight years. The ecomomy is in the toilet; the environment is so at risk here; we are in a war that has nothing to do with 9/11; our rights have been systematically chipped away at and STILL, so much of America wants to keep 'the staus quo'....!
HELP! I feel like I am living in an alternate universe...!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I do want others to reach out to neighbors as I am doing. I am not depressed because it ain't over until it is over. I urge more people to go out and voice the strategy set up by Obama's campaign because it is brilliant. Reaching neighbors could make all the difference. The campaign team knows the economy is hurting us most and we might care to know that he has energised the first group he helped in South Chicago.Notice this is not hand outs but a proven way to get people involved in government to get the education they need to find new work. His Chicago project had real results in empowering the workers who lost their jobs because the steel plant closed. In the programed neighborly script his big message to undecided voters is to assure us that he will fight for all Americans, passing healthcare reform that will save families $2,500 per year, closing corporate tax loopholes, and delivering up to $1,500 in tax relief to hard working Americans. Then there is a question for the undecided on which of six issues they care about most - Health Care, Trade, Iraq, Foreign Policy, Education . The process prescribed in campaigning will only work if more people volunteer and start soon. This grass root approach has great potential. So please give it a try.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Another hopeful note for the Obama campaign is that they are campaigning to sign up thousands of young voters. Have they been polled? I don't think so. To learn more about the new ads for Obama go to http://pol.moveon.org.

Anonymous said...

I've been very down myself for a few days. I'm trying to bounce back to my normal positive attitude, but I have to tell ya, Rain, it ain't easy!
As a volunteer on Obama's campaign, I'm doing phone calls to registered Democrats in my area.......it's been VERY, VERY discouraging! And the thing IS...the women....Good LORD, they've done NO research! And yet, they like Palin. Why? Oh, they think she's a good "family" woman. I finally lost it yesterday and said, "Yeah, you think so? What kind of mother would parade her 17 yr. old pregnant daughter on stage for the world to see? That's not love. That's selfishness on HER part. To further HER career. It was obvious the daughter and the boyfriend were visibly uncomfortable."
So yes...it's very discouraging, but......I STILL have hope! I really DO. I think possibly people will wake up and smell that coffee.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net