Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, September 21, 2007

Sarongs

Sarongs are ancient and easy to wear garments, worn by men as well as women. For older Americans, a certain style of sarong has been equated with movie star, Dorothy Lamour, who made a lot of films where she beautifully filled out her sarong. They are not, however, only for those with perfect bodies.

Sarongs have been called by different names in different countries. In Tahiti and Hawaii they would be pareos. In Southeast Asia, it's surong. In India, it's named sri. In Africa, kanga and in ancient Rome and Greece, it was called a toga. The name isn't important, what the sarong can do is why it has such value in my wardrobe.

I got my first one in a New Age bookstore in Portland. It's a simple piece of cloth with fringe but it wouldn't have to have the fringe. What it has to do is be of soft fabric that drapes and is easy to tie. Mine are slightly different sizes but about 46" x 66" with the longest length always what I wrap around my body.

Want a long skirt? Tie it right at the upper edge. Shorter? Roll the fabric to whatever length you want. When I wear one to say a farmer's market, I use a plain safety pin midway down to be sure it doesn't open too far when I walk. When you pin it at the waist, instead of tie it, it just looks like a skirt.

Because I don't find it easy to find soft cotton house dresses and enjoy wearing them when at home or even back along the creek, the sarong with its many ways to tie, is perfect-- at least when the temperature is warm. To go out to dinner, it doesn't take much to turn it into something dressier. My sarongs do double duty in my wardrobe, giving me several styles of dresses and skirts, even shawls. Tied certain ways, it's obvious what it is but in others, nobody would know. I have an old belt that is elastic and I sometimes use it to give more form to the dresses.

Except for the one from along the creek which was taken a few weeks ago, these photos were all self-timed and taken when I decided to write on the versatility of sarongs. At first it felt silly to be posing like a kind of model, but then it got to be fun... like hmmm is this how they do it... then I got sick of it again, but I felt seeing the variety of possibilities might encourage others to give it a try for more than beachwear. Looking online, I found a lot of places selling them. It wouldn't be hard to make one.

The beauty of the sarong is it's a plain piece of cloth that you turn into what you want. I think it's equally flattering to full and slim figures. Around here, my favorite way to wear it is as a skirt or what I call the grandma sarong (examples the first two photos), tied at the side of my chest, secured part way down with one safety pin, and hanging straight, no form, no shape and all comfort.

And guys, it's as useful around the house for a man as a woman. It's not just a woman's skirt. If you don't believe me, look online.*s*

10 comments:

robin andrea said...

I have always wanted to wear a sarong, but I can never figure out how to make it look right. Also, I am always afraid that it will just fall off of me. You look so great in them, rain. Great modeling. You make me want to try again. BTW- Your house is gorgeous. That view out the window is so lush. Wow!

Ingineer66 said...

Hey Robin I have a sure fire way for you to learn how to make one look right. First, Go to Hawaii, preferably not to a city, an example would be near the Captain Cook Monument on the Big Island, and go to a woman (not a kid) who is selling sarongs and ask her to show you how to tie them. I guarantee you will be pleased with the choices that she will give you. If you just go to a flee market or a store in town you probably won't get the same level of service as out in the sticks.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is fascinating, Rain....The differences in oeople and their :style" choices....The SARONG is pribably the last item of clothing I would ever cjoose for myself...So very many reasons, I won't even start to say why...BUT, I see the beauty of it and can appreciate that for someone ekse this is a fabulous addition to their wadrobe...Like yourself! It looks GREAT on you! And the versatility is quite amazing!

Joy Des Jardins said...

Rain...these sarongs are just gorgeous...and you look beautiful in them. These pictures are really lovely.

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful woman.

Unknown said...

In the late 1970s my husband and I went with friends to Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora. It was then that I bought a few pareos from the locals who made them on Bora Bora. Club Meds encourage the wearing of pareos, or in some clubs, nothing at all.

As I am in a frenzy of getting rid of "stuff," I haven't had the heart to get rid of the pareos yet, but now that I see you wearing yours, maybe I'll get a few back out and wear them around the house. You are far more accepting of your body than I am, Rain. I loved your post about the "meaning" of sarongs. Well thought out and written.

Rain Trueax said...

I am likely no more accepting of my body than you are, fran. I feel overweight, want to exercise more, but I also have to recognize this is the body I have. It won't be getting better as I head into old age. What I want is women to feel free to not have to cover up, to enjoy what they do have, not fret over what they do not. That's what I try to work on for myself

Taradharma said...

Rain, your living room carpet is the same as MY living room carpet! Small world! And the basket on top of your frig - I have that, too. Geez, were we separated at birth????

I love sarongs - yours are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I've never worn a sarong, but really enjoyed seeing yours. They're quite flattering on you.
And your house......oooh, I love that room you were standing in. What a GREEN view! SO nice. AND those books....really great.
So thanks for the little tour and the sarongs.

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks for all the compliments on the house. It's funny that we'd have the same carpet, taradharma but I am not too surprised since I found this one at a small shop in LaJolla many years ago during a time they were selling things cheaper. I have loved it.

Out my windows, all of them, it is a vibrant green and i have thought about doing a blog on just that as it's so lush and very rich in color at this time of the year. I would like to see more sky but nobody gets it all, I guess :)