Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, December 17, 2006

Floods

Living on a creek has a lot of wonderful advantages with the summer beauty, the potential to irrigate pastures, all the birds and animals it supports, but it also has its moments, as with the Northwest's recent severe storm, where one wonders exactly how high the water is going to rise.

In the nearly 30 years, I have lived here, it has never come closer to the house than the edge of our driveway. One particularly bad year, we drove into the nearby town where they were giving out sand for filling bags. We brought home enough sand to fill some bags, formed our little bulwark against the rising water, saw the water come to the edge of them but then recede. (By the way, disposing of sandbags after they are no longer needed isn't the easiest thing in the world.)

In this flood, although the creek went over its banks, and the rain poured down, it didn't threaten the barn or house. Since we fence the livestock away from it, we didn't have to worry much about animals drowning; although with two new calves, I worried a little anyway.

For a little while, this creek became more a river than a creek. The rising water did some damage in knocking down trees, forming natural dams that can potentially become a future problem, and eroded a few banks. The beaver have been contributing to the downing of trees. Too many beaver can denude a creek bank as much as too many cows. Our beaver are bank beaver, don't build dams in the creek, but they still gnaw down trees.

These pictures are when the water had gone down some. The day it was the worst, pictures were out of the question, not only because of the high wind, but the sky was so dark that my camera thought it had to be dusk. It kept demanding a flash which didn't do much for illuminating anything in the distance.

The storm sounded fearsome. I never like high wind, but we didn't get the brunt of it. The farm lost no trees from the yard, no buildings, and only had power out for an hour one night. Some not far away are still without power. I love living along a creek. Value it highly, but it's not without some problems.

10 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

It's hard to weigh the pros and cons of living near a creek. I would just love it; but I would feel the same way you do Rain. The flooding might definitely take the joy out of it; and even though I LOVE storms...I can see the hazards that go along with it. Still...I think the benefits and the beauty of a glorious flowing creek might be well worth the risk. I love your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, Rain....I had heard about the horrific weather up there and but didn't even think you might be affected. Thank goodness you had no damage.
And I know what you're saying, about living near a creek. Kinda the same thing as living ON an island in Florida...lol
You have new calves? I didn't know that. Did I miss the photos? Do you have any? Oh, gosh, I bet they're SO sweet!

Rain Trueax said...

I guess I tend to mostly take baby animal pictures when there is some story connected to them. When all goes as it's supposed to, I don't think to do it-- not to mention the barnyard has enough mud and water to pull off even my muck boots if I was walking across it. I might give it a try if things dry up a bit more.

Sad that they found a body of one of the climbers. I think we all hoped against hope that all 3 would be saved. There is still a faint hope for the other 2 but that hope definitely is slim. Mountains can be hazardous at any time of the year but especially in winter :(

Anonymous said...

Wow you were lucky through this mess weren't you? I just got my power back, and I had to throw out everything in the fridge. GADS! amazing what you find when you empty one.

I am so sorry they found that climber dead. I am still hoping the other two are safe, but I have a feeling they are not. Oregon has taken it's toll on people in the wilderness hasn't it?

Anonymous said...

Had wondered about your safety and well being during all this. Glad to know it only touched you rather than knocking you down as it did some on to your north.

Anonymous said...

Geez I know that creek ! :)

Anonymous said...

I have also had you on my mind. Glad you all weathered the storm well and are safe and warm.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for considering the calf photos, but don't go getting stuck in the mud to do it.
Yes, I heard about the climber this morning on the news. So sad and tragic. I'd seen his family on tv last week...holding out hope for the other two.

robin andrea said...

Glad to hear that the creek didn't come up so high to flood your house and barn. We had quite a bit of rain and wind, but fortunately, did not lose electricity. This has been quite a winter, so far!

Yes, so sad about the climber on Mt. Hood.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm glad you didn't lose any animals. Whoever thinks that man has any real control over nature, or ever can, is a fool.