Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Winter Wonderland

People who live where it snows a lot in winter don't understand how snowfall could be exciting to an area that only sees it rarely. Maybe if our snows lasted longer, it'd be less impressive when those big white flakes start to fall, when a soft silence falls over the land, but as it is, I always smile as I see it turning white and wonder how long it will last.

The cats head out the door and look around with horror. If they walk in it, each step involves shaking their paws. I used to grab my boots, heaviest coat, gloves and head out to make snowmen (or women) but now it's my camera I take outside to see if I can capture any of the beauty.

For a short time, with a good snowfall, it's as though the existing world is recreated. For however long it lasts, before it starts to melt, imperfections are covered up, mud disappears. The world is pristine, white and new.

The years when we lost power, I was less pleased with this transformation-- although it's not too bad to use woodstove, kerosene lamps, and candles for a few days.

The worst problem when power goes out comes because our water source is a well which uses a pump. With no power, no water means no flushing. That can be inconvenient to say the least and in a long outage has led to heading down to the creek with buckets. That is really no fun.

Since the year we bought the little power generator, we have not had any extensive power outages. It might be the equivalent of washing your car to get it to rain.

By afternoon, the snow was mostly gone and the world had returned to normal-- which at this time of year is mostly raindrops, puddles, and mud.

(The picture of me was self-timed, shot from a conveniently placed bale of hay where I had to get back to the fence before the camera clicked. The heron was photographed by my husband from the road heading into town. All can be enlarged twice by clicking on them.)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!
I am on the east cost of VA, where we rarely get snow. Thanks for sharing the photos

Dick said...

I also live west of the Cascade Mountains where we rarely get snow but we sure have it now. About ten inches of the stuff. And expecting another four inches tonight before the temp warms up enough that it will go to rain. It is fun for a day but that stops when it continues this long. We have had it since Sunday afternoon. With this much in November I wonder what will happen when winter finally arrives?

I have a few photos that I'll get posted soon that were taken around my neighborhood.

Joy Des Jardins said...

We may be getting some snow coming our way too Rain. Of course, that's not unusual for the midwest...we get WELL past our quota. Other than the frustration of sometimes having to maneuver around in it...I LOVE WHEN IT SNOWS! There's such a beauty in seeing snow draped over the trees and homes that makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. Seeing your pictures makes me hope the snow will come...soon.

Anonymous said...

I am a Michigander so snowy winters have always been a part of my life. The only question is how much snow each winter will bring. But, no matter how bad the winter or deep the snow, the snow drops in my garden always find a way to stick their heads up and start blooming by February giving hope of the spring to come. (Echo)

Mary Lou said...

Isn't it amusing to see how excited most of us left-hand coasters get when it snows? The rest of the continent just shakes their head in wonder! LOLOL I would LOVE to get out there and build a snowman, but THe snow got a lot colder in the past 40 years.

Sandy said...

Westcoaster here too and it did look so pretty coming down, had fun with some kids building a snowman and then work and reality hit LOL. Leaks happening in the roof of the mall, ice starting to happen and of course shovelling that never ends because it is also windy. Ah, winter on the west coast where we so very seldom see it is great as long as you can just sit and enjoy.

robin andrea said...

It is beautiful, and yes, we are wildly excited and invigorated by it. We're worried a bit about not being able to get out of our driveway, but so far, we haven't had to! I think we're even in for some more snow before it all turns to rain and is washed away.

Anonymous said...

Moonlight on freshly fallen snow will always be magically beautiful to me. (Echo)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I enjoy the photographs and writing about the snow because I was away and it melted before I came back. Today looking at the clouds, a storm of sorts must be on the way. I am excited.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks gorgeous--especially snow on Venus Rising. But--I'm a look at the snow kind of person; I don't like being out in it. So, please enjoy it for me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos. I especially like the third one. These type weather events are nice....assuming you don't have to get out and deal with it.

As I speak, "your weather" is about fifty miles west of Little Rock due to hit here momentarilly. First the thunder storms....then the cold and supposedly an inch or so of the white stuff.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes,snow that white fluffy stuff I used to remove from the driveway in the late 80s in the state of Washington! :)

Sandy said...

I do have to agree with anonymous, moonlight on freshly fallen snow is a tough one to beat, it's beautiful. The day was one of alot of work but last night my daughter and I headed out for a walk and we enjoyed it thoroughly, including the snowball "fight" and snow angels at the end of it. Today, we once again are working to keep it from being too slippery, not normally my job but we are short staffed and for some reason everyone that doesn't have to work is coming to the mall lol. No rain yet but they say it is on the way. Will we get more snow? The heavens only know ;)

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous photos and THIS is how I like to see snow. (smile) After almost 20 years in Florida, still have to say, I don't miss that Boston snow at all.
Great photo of you and you timed it perfectly.