Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, June 05, 2011

An eBook cover evolves

Since I have been talking about the goals I have for possibly publishing some of my fiction as eBooks, I thought I'd write a bit about the process of creating the covers. When I first learned that I'd either have to pay someone to create a digital cover or do it myself, I was not thrilled. Like eek.

Then as I began working with it, I discovered it is very satisfying to figure out what images would work. Having created them, I know these characters better than any graphic artist. Plus the probability is I won't be making much if any money doing this; so I'd like to keep my costs minimal.

When I began working on digitals, I came up with the size I would need to approximate a paperback cover for ratio. I began many of them rather simplistically with iconic type images. I'd let them sit and then as ideas came to me. I'd add something, and if it didn't work, go back to the original idea. The surprise has been that in doing them it has helped me with the editing jobs as in personalizing these people, I think it's yielded better dialogue and given me more feel for the characters.

In the past, when I wrote a fiction story, to be honest, I never visualized the people I created. I'd write physical descriptions of them but never, in my imagination went there to see what that would mean. I don't imagine what characters, in books that I read, look like either. They are mostly dreamlike for how they appear to me. I also never imagine them as being played by any movie star.

Which left me with an issue. How do I then create faces for them? I definitely didn't want to use celebrity types as I wanted these characters to seem like real people even as such stories are not really like real life (we hope). I also didn't want to go for the photographic reality thing. I wanted the images to be painterly and done with digital tools.

The process I used to begin simply was iconic, looking at the meaning behind the story, then add this or that as more came to me. The examples below are from one of my stories which is about the trip West on the Oregon Trail. It's one I had thought might work to be published on paper but it doesn't really fit a genre and basically, at 140,000 words, is too long.

Average length from an unpublished author, if they submit to a publishing house that takes queries, is supposed to run from 70-100,000 words with ideal at 80-90,000. This particular story is one where over ten years ago I worked with a professional consulting writer who taught me a lot about writing (it was not cheap but well worth it) and helped me get rid of the excess verbiage. I don't see it being able to be shorter than it is and still tell its story.

The other two historically based stories (one of which is a sequel to this one) both came in at around 120,000 (still too long to attract a publisher) but they at least didn't have descriptions of the trip west with which to add to their length. My goals with the wagon train story was that it be both a love story and of the trip West.

Where length matters to a publishing house, online I don't think it will make any difference. Still this particular one is not one I plan to put out as an eBook just yet as I still hope someday to see it and the one following it to be in book form (but not going to use Lulu as I have no interest of trying as an individual to get books into bookstores).

The question might be asked then why do a cover for this one. It's because it felt like the cover became a part of its completion and they all deserved to be completed. Remember stories like these are like a person's children in a lot of ways. It also presented a challenge to me given it was the first story I ever wrote down and it has some character issues that I felt would make it difficult to do but that made me want to do it all the more.

In wanting it to illustrate the idea of the trip West, to attract a possible reader's attention who was only going to give it two seconds, the cover had an obvious possible iconic subject that would do the job-- Conestoga wagon.


I could have used just the wheels from such a wagon. I have two of them here at the farm probably from the family that homesteaded this property, but wheels suggest it's over. Wagon is better. Wagon might have been enough actually -- except.

I began to wonder if I could create the girl, a character I first created in my imagination when I was probably her age (17) and who I have written and edited over many times until I'd be her grandmother if not her great grandmother. So I played around with it. I had nothing to lose as I still could have gone back to just the wagon-- what I love about digital.

I really liked her face once it came into being. She had the strength and beauty that I felt my character had to have. She looked real to me (in painterly form at least) For awhile I thought maybe that would be enough-- until the challenge kept growing in my mind. What would the hero look like? He was a more complex problem.

This guy really is my major interest in the story although it's the story of both people as they follow the Oregon Trail, deal with the problems along the way, and possibly fall in love. He had to be young (21 or 22) and boys that age often don't look strong enough. My character had gone through a lot by this age, was toughened by that.


My first attempt got me the pose and general face but not quite right. This guy looked a little like a ne-er-do-well. That would never do. My young hero has to have a rough edge, strong, but not look like a bum even to me.

Finally I got to a face that looked as I imagined he might have. The first attempt though had his eyes looking forward or down, which made sense since he's bringing oxen up to hitch into a team. You know with a small figure like his, it's not easy to show the eyes at all and yet I kept thinking his eyes need to change. If he looks down, he looks submissive, not involved. What does he want? Can I show that in such a small image?


Where I really wanted the covers to also say something about the issues in the story, he should be looking toward her as she's staring off to something beyond the horizon. Once he did that, with almost a yearning expression, it did say something about the dynamics between these characters. The last one is the one I will use (unless I come up with something better) if this story becomes an eBook.


There would then, of course, be a title and my name; but I plan to keep the originals of them all as they are more like digital paintings without the necessary information.

Anyway editing these stories, writing some brief synopses of what the stories are about, is what I have been doing as all thirteen now have a cover. By the end of the summer, I'll have the stories where I want them and then hopefully I will have figured out whether creating eBooks is what I want for them and how I can get them seen by readers.

Update: After a helpful comment from one of the readers of this blog, I looked again at my hero's shirt and tie. Where I want to leave the shirt part way open-- this is a hot trip after all *wink* ,( there are some elements to the story which suggest an open shirt is a good hint to the plot) but the tie was obviously a problem. For cattlemen or on a trip like this working with livestock, dealing with the weather, and a lot of dust, a scarf is a serious part of the outfit, but I had it tied wrong leading to the feeling my reader suggested about the hero... He would have also had a hat but I'll keep thinking about that one as would he have to wear it all the time? I like his hair pretty much as it is. Maybe the hat is hanging down his back from a cord. Anyway on the open shirt, you do have to keep in mind-- this is a romance ;).

14 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

I like the progression, but I have one critical comment. The boy needs to button his shirt. Unless he is an Italian or French waiter with 3 gold chains around his neck or is gay, a man would not walk around with his shirt like that. :-)

Rain Trueax said...

*laughing* I will give that serious consideration (the scarf is there for serious reasons if you have ever read of what the trip west was like but maybe I should have it tied a different way too). Keep in mind though that this is a romance, one that got rejected from a Christian publishing house many years ago for being too steamy. I've changed it since then but what I took out was the Christian emphasis (although some of the characters still are) but left in the steam *s* Maybe she had just been with him and unbuttoned that shirt. She had a habit of doing that once she worked out that she was interested in him. There was no sex in the bulk of the story though-- just a lot of near approaches to it. On a wagon train, and unmarried couple would have found opportunities to actually have sex to be limited :)

Rain Trueax said...

Actually whether I button up the shirt or not, the scarf is probably tied wrong and I will change that because it would need to be in a position that would enable quick usage more like a bandit tie ;)

Rain Trueax said...

thanks by the way. All comments of such thinking are welcomed as they will be helpful as this cover could yet evolve.

Kay Dennison said...

I (surprise!) agree with Ingineer -- open the shirt! I really respect the hard work and thought you've put into this! I'll check in when I get back from up north!

Rain Trueax said...

Kay, you mean close the shirt even further than I did with the last one? I suspect I will keep it that open. I have known a lot of ranchers and have seen Farm Boss out around the livestock many times when the weather is hot and shirts don't stay closed up tight. Even if they did though, that would suggest a different kind of story than I actually wrote where steam is part of the story... Keep in mind any photos of the travelers west, and I have looked at a lot of them, were posed which changes what the clothing would look like for men or women. Most women had on aprons but I thought that seemed more apropos for the cooking end, not the walking during the day.

Thanks for the critiques. I appreciate any and all. It's like any art work-- a mix of what others like and what I feel stays true to my own vision but I always consider new ideas for what might make it better.

mandt said...

A big ten gallon hat in his hand would be cool, and suggest he took it off in the presence of the lady. Cowboys are very chivalrous as a rule ( except when in saloons.) My WY cowboy cousin either go shirtless or button their shirts all the way up. Same goes for gays. Only aging straight Peter Pans who sell used cars leave their shirts unbuttoned. :)

Rain Trueax said...

This has been quite interesting on men and their shirts. I was going by what I see from Farm Boss when he's working around here and the rancher friends I have known when they are haying etc. This guy is not a cowboy though. He's a Missouri farm boy who is heading West. He knows how to ride, how to work animals as it's how he's earned his living and enough money to get the needed supplies (no light expense if you went fully equipped which not all did). I did write about him having his hat at different points but would say the ones they wore from his part of the country would be brimmed but not the type we think of as cowboy. Maybe more Civil War style which would be 10 years in the future. Best I keep a hat off his head, I'm thinking lol I had enough trouble making him look strong enough for the character I had created. I do though have a book full of photos from the trail which could be helpful if I really felt I had to have one (and could find the book now).

The interesting part about doing a cover like this is trying to get it to tell the reader what they will be getting-- and this is no novel of the western migration even as it tells its story. It's a love story and of two young people but no book for teens either :)

Rain Trueax said...

When I wrote this story and rewrote and rewrote it, I did a lot of research and right now I have no idea where those materials ended up even if I kept them but this might give a good image of a possible hat if one wanted on for the hero but it's artwork, not a photo. All the photos I have seen of pioneers along the trail were posed and stilted given the way they were taken back then. Oregon Trail Pioneers. One of those hats would be what I'd have used if I wanted him to be wearing a hat in this image.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The young lady is walking. The guy's left leg is so straight and spread out far from the right indicating a strong stance. He is suddenly standing still. Does he sense he coming thunder and that the oxan might become startled and bolt?
The open shirt indicates it is hot in more than one way.

Robert the Skeptic said...

I like it.

Ingineer66 said...

Laughing at all the shirt comments. Mandt said it well too. I like the latest version with the new scarf. I understand it is romance but you didn't want to make him look like he was dancing on a stage in Vegas.

Rain Trueax said...

you were helpful on that comment. I might let you critique the rest of my guys before they get to a final version ;) In this case, the way I had the scarf tied was more like Roy Rogers than any real outdoorsman. Definitely a Vegas feel to it! I didn't mind buttoning a couple of buttons on his shirt also as it still left him looking free and easy, perhaps a little unorthodox for his times which is exactly what he is in the story. This is a guy who rides his own trail although not to Vegas ;)

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

What a fascinating progression of creating your own cover. How I wish I could do that. I'll be curious what you finally decide upon. Again, there's that bottomless creativity that is one of your gifts.