Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Soloist


Because I like anything Robert Downey Jr. does, because I like Jamie Foxx almost as much, because I have read Steve Lopez's columns in the LA Times, I put The Soloist on my Netflix list. I knew only a little bit about the story but that the film had gotten mixed reviews.

After seeing it, I have no idea from where the bad reviews came. I thought it was a tough but poignant film on mental illness, homelessness, poverty, and the creative process. It is based on a true story and the book of the same name by Steve Lopez.

Basically Lopez, in looking for something to write, [Steve Lopez-- LA Times], became interested in a street musician, Nathaniel Anthony Ayers, who was homeless and mentally ill. I won't go into more about the plot than that it involves Lopez's desire to get a story, help Ayers get back into his music, get off the street, and the impact that all has on Lopez's life. The performances are first rate as would be expected. The plot was interesting and pertinent to our times. The extra features well worth watching.

What blew me away was what it showed about skid row. Like most Americans, I see the homeless sometimes but not like this, not so concentrated where they live. Mostly I see them walking past or asking for money. I thought that the people in the film looked like the real deal and they were. The outdoor set was Los Angeles's skid row. Most of the extras were people who live there.

I don't know if the homeless districts in all cities look like in LA; but if so, what are we doing as a nation to let this happen to fellow humans? Probably half of them are mentally challenged, some physically handicapped.

Some years back, on a trip through California, we stopped to see the mission in San Luis Obispo. A young woman came up to me asking for money. I had seen all of the men hanging around and saw that there was a soup kitchen nearby. She said she had missed the time for food and asked if I could help her. I dug out $5.

Yes, I knew she might well be giving it directly to those watching men; but I couldn't not give her something. She had a birthmark that covered one half of her face, sounded mentally challenged in how she talked, and was way overweight. Life had dealt her a hard hand. I saw her as a sister and even today it's harder for me to not give money to women who find themselves in these situations than to the men. There could go me and sometimes it's a thin line for why we aren't the ones out there decided by the right parents, luck and genetics.

The ones I see where I live run a gamut of ages and seeming mental states. Some truly don't know where they are; some are on drugs or alcohol; and maybe some have chosen it as a way of life. I haven't seen anything like Los Angeles's skid row.

I had read the number of homeless has been growing. I have seen the lines to get food. I didn't know until I began looking more into this that Portland school district this year reports 1706 of their students are homeless. [Number of homeless growing at schools near you].
"Not all the students — not even a majority — are living on the streets. The federal government defines homeless students as those who "lack fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence."

"More than 13,000 students are living with relatives or families. About 750 called a motel primary residence last year, another 1,700 were living in shelters or transitional housing. Finally, 2,264 were classified as "unsheltered" meaning they were living in cars, sheds, tents, or on the streets." from the above link

How often I have written that our big problem is the middle class becoming extinct. I still see that as important because the middle class has been the hope of the poor, a road up that they can see they could reach by hard work or luck. It used to be that way.

After watching The Soloist, I became more aware of how too many Americans are forced to live. Some low income families are just a thin line away from this. You can't even get medical care, like say surgery for cancer if you don't have a home address. I learned that after reading more about the film

It's not just the poverty which is bad enough but our limited ability to help those with serious mental problems. We want a magic pill or some think prayer will fix it as they see it as an emotional or spiritual problem instead of physical. The truth is not enough research has gone into something that can totally rip a normal life away from people. With more and more children being diagnosed with different degrees of autism, what will a future United States look like?

If you get the chance, rent The Soloist. It is a powerful movie that brings home the difficulty of trying to help the mentally ill and the reality of homeless lifestyles. Most of what we are doing today is stopgap-- keeping people from starving, offering medical clinics that can treat some problems, nighttime shelters that sometimes seem so undesirable to the homeless that they would rather sleep in camps.

You know, no matter what the 'experts' tell us, this is looking more and more like a depression. Even if we are in a recovery, will it bring everyone with it? We face many problems today and not the least of which is inner city deterioration.

Bob Herbert wrote a good piece that fits with this topic: Behind the Laughter. Please don't tell me everybody has an equal chance at a good education and job. If you think that, you are uninformed of what it's like for many families as well as the inner city problem. I think it's going to take real commitment, more tax money, people who know how to make a difference, not just throw money around, and some positive planning to have any hope of turning this thing around.

Many years ago my father said that he saw this country becoming a nation of haves and have-nots. He didn't live to see it, but I am afraid it's what I am beginning to see. There was a second part to what he said would happen then that it would turn into a far more violent culture where people shoot others for no reason. Well we are seeing that happen also. What should we do about it?

21 comments:

Paul said...

Robert Downey Jr. is a fine actor ... I only wish that he could stay out of trouble...

Rain Trueax said...

He is an addict and that makes him always have to watch himself but he did get straight in 2003, is happily married (or so it appears) follows some spiritual traditions like some mix of Buddhism that seem to help him and so far so good. The judge who sent him to prison said he did it to save his life and it might not have done that or maybe did but those experiences in prison did turn him from being a liberal and he supported George W. Bush in 2004. (He was helped a lot by Mel Gibson which might've also helped him turn to the right politically). I imagine he'll always have to watch out for the temptation of the drug abuse. He said his began as a child. He is definitely one of the most talented actors of his time coming close to Johnny Depp in how much respect I have for what he can do to a character to make it his.

Ingineer66 said...

Jamie Foxx is one of my favorite actors. He almost always puts out a good product. And Downey Jr. has done some fine work. I remember when he played a drug addict kid in Less Than Zero in the 80's. Then his life nearly turned into what the character went through.

We used to put the mentally ill in institutions, but that was deemed inhumane by the do-gooder crowd. But somehow letting them roam the streets and prey on the rest of us is more humane? I think it is terrible how these folks end up. We should gather up the ones that really cannot take care of themselves and put them in facilities where they can live and get some care. It would probably be cheaper in the long run. And would definitely be better for them and the rest of society.

As for the homeless students, I am sure it is a problem. But part of the issue is they pad those numbers and count kids that are living with grandparents or other relatives or family friends as homeless. Why do they have to inflate the numbers to justify doing something. I guess there is some money angle involved. Why not just focus on the true homeless kids and try to help them. Maybe if they pad the numbers then the kids that are not really homeless go back home they can make themselves feel better by showing that they reduced the number. When in fact they did not really do anything. Another feel good attempt to say that you mean well. But do not "actually do anything". Kind of sounds familiar.

Rain Trueax said...

I think what they said in the article was it's children without a firm home they can count on remaining in, those who stay here or there and that might be relatives but not with a permanent address and possibly now with custody.

On the mentally ill, it's Reagan who did that. It did put a lot out onto the streets but probably saved money.

What I see is we need to do more research into what causes things like schizophrenia and how to treat it. Just warehousing people isn't what they want which is what was brought out in The Soloist. It's like imprisoning someone for something they can't help.; but it also isn't right to wait until they hurt someone. I think we have not treated it seriously enough, treated it like we would diabetes for looking for a cure or a viable treatment. It has had a stigma attached that has made it something to be ashamed of.

Dixon Webb said...

Rain . . Downey Jr. is one of the most talented actors now working, and Foxx is growing to be outstanding. The homeless are a huge and inhumane aspect of urban life in America, but it is important to separate the needs of the mentally challenged from the addicted, the functional but low IQ from the physically sick. Each requires a different solution. By solution I guess I mean to be able to experience a humane life style. One of our primary goals should be to do everything we can to see this happen.

Dixon

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

"The Soloist" movie is very emotionally moving. What I particularly like is "The Soloist" goes beyond documenting an ain't it awfull thing about our modern society. The story reveals the problems of treating mental illness especially schizophrenia. Then it concludes with a solution.

1) The stigma of mental illness was revealed by Ayers agitation when Steve Lopex tells him that he has a schizophrenic mind that can be fixed with medication. Society does not understand that these people have a sense we do not have to preceive a different or enhansed reality different than ours. Our society does not have a nitch for their gift yet. Ayers was more accepted by his mother and she realized that he had a gift and the world would open doors for him.

When we saw the workings of the psychiatric clinic there was a woman who quit her medication and she was saying "you don't understand when I take the medicine, I do not hear the voices that comfort me." The clinic would only take people who were a danger to themselves or others and people who thought they wanted treatment.

Secondly, Ayres feels in music more than people we concider as normal. It doesn't matter what instrument or how he makes his music, he can feel it and be happy. To have his freedom to play with his gift is his choice.

The solution to homeless schizophrenics was revealed through Steve Lopez's personal problem the same as our society's. Steve wanted to make Ayres the same as the rest of us so he would fit in. In the end Steve made up with Ayers wanting to be his friend accepting him as he was. Ayres accepted moving off the streets into an appartment. Vicariously Steve learned from Ayers about something he felt through music. They went to concerts together and Steve started learning the guitar.

In my opinion there are schizophrenics who do well in treatment. As for the others the problem is not fixing them but fixing society so as to make a nitch for them so they don't have to beg and can afford living off the street.

Darlene said...

I love your last comment, Parapluie, about not fixing them but fixing society.

Rain, I am glad you corrected Ingineer on the oft repeated statement that it was the do-gooder crowd that put the mentally ill on the streets. I was going to make that point if you didn't. This is a prime example of a myth being told so often that it becomes reality in the minds of the uninformed.

Ingineer66 said...

Yes I knew it happened in California when Reagan was governor. But he did not close the institutions in the other states. I know you all would like to blame all the worlds problems on Republicans, but he could not have done it without the support of the Democratic controlled legislature. Kind of like W. could not have gone to war in Iraq without the vote of the Congress. Selective memory does not always fly.

Rain Trueax said...

Ingineer, you brought this up by blaming liberals for the current treatment of the mentally ill. You do that all the time and then react as though you cannot believe it when you get called on it. I am referring to what Reagan did as president, not governor-- http://www.sociology.org/content/vol003.004/thomas.html

I don't blame him as such btw as putting people in institutions when you don't try to figure out where the problem came from is not my idea of a good solution to mental illness. I would like to see more research and in many cases halfway houses work better than forced hospitalization.

As for the Iraq war you know that what Bush said was he needed the power to negotiate but he didn't want to go to war. The Congress believed him, foolish though they were. He planned that war from the beginning of his administration and I assume you know that if you pay any attention to anything but right wing dogma.

What gets me with people like you though is you constantly defend that war and then worry about the deficit. Do you not see a connection between war and cost?

Rain Trueax said...

And if Democrats had not gone along with him, we'd still have gone to war as the Republicans had the needed majority. It's too bad Democrats don't recognize they could do the same thing about health care.

Diane Nilan said...

About "padding" the homeless kids' count...not so. The definition (Dept. of Educ.) includes kids who have LOST HOUSING--and move in with others, in motels, etc. Way more kids (with families and without) are homeless than our government acknowledges. It's a far more complicated issue than most people realize. And at the heart of it--kids, families, teens--nearing the plight of so many severely disabled homeless adults. Shame on us. Check my website for more info, www.hearus.us

Dick said...

At the time so many mentally challenged people were turned out of institutions and put on the streets I was working as a service supervisor for the transit system in Seattle. We soon saw many of those people as homeless persons on the streets. What appeared to be happening is that many of them could function pretty well with their medication which could be administered regularly while they were institutionalized but it also had some unpleasant side affects. When they were out of the institution and on their own, many stopped taking their medications either because they thought they didn't need them or due to the side affects and soon returned to the uncontrolled behavior that their mental conditions brought on.

What we apparently need is a kind of medication that will do what is needed without those bad side affects AND the training (or monitoring) these people so that they realize their not really over their condition and can't stop taking the medication.

I am sure that this is an over simplification of the problems faced by this issue but I do think this is a lot of the problem. Unfortunately there is probably no solution that does not involve public expense and right now available money seems to be pretty limited.

Darlene said...

The Soloist is the next DVD in my Net Flix queue. I am looking forward to it.

Rain Trueax said...

I was originally thinking ingineer meant this for the next blog that is more about this war but in case he did mean it for the conversation here on mental illness and the homeless, I am reposting his comment and my reply:

Blogger Ingineer66 said...

Rain, I do not typically defend the Iraq war. You are confusing that with the Afghan war. And I do worry about the deficit. I really worry that Obama has tripled the previous record deficit that W. had last year. I mostly just like to stir the pot though. Remember Pelosi knew in 2002.

2:06 PM Blogger Rain said...

I am assuming you meant this for the other blog, but will answer it here anyway, ingineer. You have defended it in the past and I am not confusing it but just saying it's part of the cost that wasn't added in; so the multiplying looks like more than it is as that cost was there whether it got into the main budget or not. I am not sure how much Obama has spent on the stimulus as a lot of what was promised hasn't gotten anywhere yet; some went to companies that are expanding based upon it. It might pay off but then again, I don't know but I hope at least it'll be real products unlike the banks like Goldman that only multiply dollars, not producing anything except wealth for themselves.

As for Pelosi, she says the CIA lied about what they told her. It is not like it'd be the first time if they did. I have no idea what's the truth but I know what many legislators said about the start of the Iraq war and their vote to give Bush maneuvering room

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog
that's both educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head.

The problem is something too few folks are
speaking intelligently about. Now i'm very happy I found this during my hunt for something relating to this.

Anonymous said...

I am really glad to glance at this blog posts which contains plenty of valuable data,
thanks for providing these information.

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its genuinely awesome article, I have got much clear
idea concerning from this post.

Anonymous said...

Hey there I am so glad I found your site, I really found you by
accident, while I was browsing on Google for something else, Regardless I am here
now and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog (I also
love the theme/design), I don't have time to read it all
at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so
when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.
Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist
with SEO? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted
keywords but I'm not seeing very good success. If you know of any
please share. Many thanks!

Rain Trueax said...

Anonymous, I don't use any label to bring people to my blog-- not a techie person. The words I have under labels are only aimed at helping people looking for a particular subject and it's in that blog. Sorry, I can't help. You might do a search to increase blog traffic and see what you find. I literally never know what brings someone to a blog of mine or why sometimes the numbers increase and other times they are small.