Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, December 15, 2006

The Secret

"Your thoughts and your feelings create your life."
"Who you are is not who you were."
"What we are is the result of all we have thought."

While I am not a huge believer in simplistic answers to complex life problems, I am a believer in our attitude being a big part of the solution or the problem. The movie, The Secret, is mostly made up of theologians, authors, counselors discussing the secret that those who are successful have found changed their lives. The secret goes back through history to say the universe is there to give us that for which we ask-- when we know the way.

Sounds good, but to start with-- for what are we really asking? Just being sure of what we want can be a major obstacle to some of us.

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve." W. Clement Stone

Larry King, twice in the month of November had most of the speakers from The Secret onto his interview program. Links to the archives are November 2 and November 16. Reading the transcripts will give you a pretty good idea what the film is about.

"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." Martin Luther King Jr.

The thinking of the film was not new to me and probably will not be to you. I have believed we draw to ourselves both positives and negatives, and that our attitude is key to the quality of our life. Through the years I have made collages to illustrate what I want to have in my life, to help me focus on being the person I want to be.I have written what I want to see in my life, what I want to accomplish. I think I am making progress but I am by no means to the place where I can feel as though I already have what I am working to gain, nor am I always even sure exactly what I want. Which is why I bought The Secret. I figured what could I lose? Maybe it could help me see this in a way that would finally let me break through.

The film speaks of how often what we are putting out to the Universe is the opposite of what we really want. I don't want to be fat. So the energy going out revolves around fat and guess what we get back? I sure don't want to be like-- fill in the blank. Guess what happens?

The secret is putting our desires and wishes into positive statements and following up with the feeling we already have what we have requested. Not the feeling-- it'll never work out.

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

In the essence, it's:
1. Ask 2. Believe it is yours. 3. Feel you have already received it.

It takes time but The Secret says we can change the thought patterns and feelings that have been sabotaging what we most want. I am trying to apply it. Time will tell if... oops.. I know it'll work out!

[Update October 15: Actually I don't and am more than ever not sure any such simplistic answers really help us with deep problems. Maybe they just lead us to find a new way to blame ourselves for things not working out. Maybe there is no 'secret' and it's a lot of possible ways to get to where we need to go. We just keep hoping for that magic button which will let us skip steps and send us straight there-- wherever there is.]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rain check out "Tender Mercies". It's an older movie ,but you will like it.

Anonymous said...

For me in this matter I feel it is summed up in the statement you made...

"The secret is putting our desires and wishes into positive statements and following up with the feeling we already have what we have requested. Not the feeling-- it'll never work out."

Back in the late fifties as a teenager my mom suggested I read a huge number one seller of the day called "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale and the lessons therein have remained with me throughout my life.

I truly believe that the power of positive thinking had everything to do with my success in life.

Anonymous said...

This is a subject I've always felt very strongly about...at least since my late 20's. I firmly believe in energy and what we give out and then take back from the Universe affects all aspects of our life. I've always been a firm believer in positive thoughts and I'm saddened by how many people I encounter that possess so much negativity and then wonder why they're not satisfied or happy. I'll also say...in my many years as an RN...I never failed to see the best and quickest recoveries in the people with the best attitudes.
And I think we're all "a work in progress" but I always feel propelled forward with positive thinking.
I will be THEE first to say that although I've had disappointments and heartbreaks like so many...I have been truly blessed. I'm grateful and I feel so much of it had to do with MY own positive thinking.
Great post, Rain and great topic!

Sandy said...

How strange that your blog is about "The Secret" the very day I get it! I missed the first Larry King show but caught the second one and a bit of when the people who created the dvd were on Ellen. My daughter was quite intriqued by the conversation going on (the show is on at lunch where we live) and called me to come and see what I thought. We spent part of our lunch listening. So much of this is common sense but it's also something deeper that many of us don't think to do. I'm looking foward to reading the book!
Paul, Tender Mercies is a great movie.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

A curious thing that I noticed while watching the secret is that my psychologist years ago said my problem was that I felt I couldn't just ask for what I wanted. My home work was to make lists of what I liked about my life and what I wanted. It has been thirty years or more since I said good by to my therapist but these techniques work for relationships extreemly well. The Secret is a kind of refresher course for me. By the way I was taught by my therapist that a woman has the right to change her mind on what she wants. That is part of being a woman.

Ingineer66 said...

You went to a therapist to find out that women change their minds :-) I thought that was a defining characteristic for most women that they change their minds all the time and often for no logical or apparent reason.

Rain Trueax said...

Ingineer, and men don't? lol But I think what Parapluie was saying is just that it's okay to change our minds. Being locked into a mistake, isn't making it better!

Anonymous said...

I will gladly change my mind (or a personal position) if someone has a compelling argument;however,the truth is that a lot of people are ignorant and know little of the world around them.If you have a divergent opinion express it but use your intellect to express it.

Anonymous said...

I bought this movie some months ago and have been loaning it out. These thoughts are definitely not new to me, but they are presented well. It's a better What the Bleep, I think. I'll schedule a viewing a discussion evening soon and will include some conservative religious. Should make for lively discussion.

Is the bad weather affecting you? My sis in Tumwater took a hard hit. I feel so badly for the guys up on Mt. Hood. Here's hoping they are warm in their snow caves; you can go a long time without food and they can drink the melted snow--if they are warm and dry.