Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, June 10, 2023

To be or not to be

 


 To start, I want to define a word, esoteric-- intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest. Where it comes to the subject of writing, I think some of that applies. If we just enjoy reading, then specific understanding of what we read is not of interest. On the other hand, if we want to write, it does apply.

There is a difference between a theme for a book versus its plot. Theme is the heart, the message throughout the book. Plot is what takes the reader there-- or does it have to? I have read popular books (many are like this) where I'd say the theme is all that mattered. Plot? What plot? It's not about that but rather the feeling, the heart of the story. Yes, things happen, but not in the sense of a plot. I must add that often life itself seems without a plot.

I like writing plots. All of my books have them. In the case of Moon Dust, there is a plot along with the theme. Are both needed? Maybe not for many readers. But, we are talking now about my interest as a writer.

From where do my plots come? Some from the characters and my own desire for an interesting book. I learned some of what I use from reading but also from Joseph Campbell's books regarding the journey of the hero. What made some mythologies survive until today and others be forgotten?

Campbell encouraged a book to begin where the hero starts (which could be heroine). Where is the life they led and what would it take to remove them from it? That's the gatekeeper experience. We start with a stable experience and then along comes-- why would that person leave it for something else, maybe scarier? It has to be strong and seem worthwhile to the reader. The fact that it has lasted in mythologies means it has lasted.

One of the things I learned, a long time ago with writing, is the W. There is a moment of huge energy and then a moment of relaxation and peace, of considering what had happened,  before another high energy event. Life  does not have to, but can do that. Fiction isn't always about life itself. It's about writing on emotional events. Plots provide this. We would like many peaceful moments, but they aren't always what makes us grow the most.

So, plots give us the W, the ups and the downs, that in the end take the story where the theme intended it to go. I believe that happened with Moon Dust. Two people without a lot of professional energy to create dynamism (a principal and decorator) but it's what happens to them in the plot that forces them to grow beyond their expectations for themselves. This excitement is what takes the reader along for the ride.



2 comments:

Tabor said...

I think that those of us who like to read, do not like the guts and nuts and bolts part of writing. But having written that, I am taking an online course on sentence structure because I love the juxtaposition of phrases and words. Go figure.

Rain Trueax said...

Tabor, you write a popular blog that many enjoy regularly. That's enough reason to care about sentence structure. I have to care about it too, of course-- though don't always get it right.