Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, May 06, 2023

Backlists


This time I have a question for readers. I know that most of you don't comment here (sad as I used to get a lot of comments but thus goes the times), but I'd very much appreciate it if you'd think about the question below for yourself and then share your answer for the benefit of other readers here, including me.

Here's the question: If you like an author, I don't care what genre, will you look for older books by that author or is it all about the newest books, perhaps even by that, author?  Along with it-- if you like an author and they change genres, say had been sci fi but now want to write mystery, will you give the new direction a chance if your favorite has always been where they had always written?

There is not a right or wrong answer, but I am curious how many readers do follow all the work by a favorite author-- even from years gone by. Should a writer consider pulling those older books or let them set with the hope someday they will be discovered? 

An adjunct to that question is for writers-- how do you deal with your own backlist? Most of us have one. One possibility is pull them and rewrite them with our current skills. I've seen writers do that, before working on new ideas.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to go back to find other books by my favorites, or new favorites if I have found a book and loved it. I also will follow an Author to different Genre's to give it a try. That is how I discovered Women's Fiction.

Anonymous said...

If i find an author i seriously like, I’ll look for everything they have written. If it’s just a good book, probably not. But if i absolutely loved it, i will definitely look for any older bills to read from them. Even across genres.

ElizabethAnn said...

If I really like a book, I will look for other books by that author. Sometimes it’s a disappointment, sometimes not. If it is a genre change, I am often disappointed, I guess my tastes at this point are rather set. But I do try to give it a shot.

Rain Trueax said...

I've also found that is true that what they wrote before wasn't as good. We all grow in our skills, but sometimes it's a pleasant surprise and they do have the same elements in their books.

Tabor said...

I liked a book in the Three Pine series and have gone and started reading the series from the beginning and in order. If it is not a series i sometimes read more of an author that I like. If ghere is a change genre I may read that author if I like the genre.

Rain Trueax said...

I think it's good to recognize an author's point of view to find new ways to see their work. I've never heard of the Three Pines series but will look for that