Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, December 16, 2022

Satisfaction

We have had some delightful rain, which some areas might not consider delightful, but this is the desert. The first lasted two days and gave us 3/4" of rain-- so welcomed by desert plants. The second didn't last so long, but it poured while it did. The desert relishes it. We do too.

Lately, I've been thinking why I am so satisfied with my life when it's so simple. I don't take great trips (did some in the past), don't desire to buy a lot of things, and am just happy to be here with the cats and all the birds outside-- sometimes javelina and bobcats but more rare than the quail. What I began to wonder is being satisfied not good for ambition. I've never been a really ambitious person but liked the simple things, but that is more true in old age than it was. Should I be more dissatisfied to accomplish more or is it okay to just be and be happy with that.
The above is what I wrote for Facebook. When I posted the initial thoughts, I received some good comments, many that took satisfaction at its simplest level-- happiness. I do not believe it is that simple.  As when we finish a good meal and stop even though we might like more, satisfaction goes beyond enough to a deeper term of even soul connection to what is-- beyond and within us. It may not be times of happiness but also accepting times of what must be.

 
There can be another view of satisfaction that it keeps us where we are if we see it only in terms of happiness. An example is some of the things I have brought from Oregon to Arizona and then left in sacks or boxes for months or even years. I didn't deal with them until I was dissatisfied to see them as they were. Then, I felt even better for taking care of them-- and giving away some I should have years earlier.
 
Dissatisfaction can lead to ambition but again-- watch out. To always be looking for something bigger or better can lead to an unrewarding personal life.
 
One way, I believe to keep a satisfying life is to enjoy the small things as much as bigger ones. They can be so easily missed.
 
 

 
It is also being aware of tragedies around the world, weep for them, but remind ourselves to change what we can and release the rest. Being angry or in constant sorrow will never make for a satisfying life.
 
So, yes, simple that it is, I am satisfied with my life and my relationships, at this point, as an old woman, but I do have to sometimes make changes as my situation changes to keep that basic level of satisfaction.  Old age is a time of change.
 

 

2 comments:

ElizabethAnn said...

Oh yes, I heartily agree with you. I have been sick with long covid for 2.5 years and actually getting worse not better. Sometime this summer I realized that I was probably never going to get better and that was shocking and depressing, but I came to terms with it. Now I am at peace with myself, if I get better great, if not oh well. One grows to appreciate the small things when that is all that is left. I always love your descriptions of your environment, the place where you live/have lived. I live in a cold wettish environment so hearing about the dessert is quite wonderful.

Rain Trueax said...

I'm so sorry, that sounds terrible and I have heard of others with that problem. Really tough and it must be hard to look past it to come to terms. I have read they are studying Paxlovid (our kids took that to beat their Covid) but it's not for anyone with liver issues and the tests are not out yet. Thanks for commenting. I consider you a long distance friend :) I'll try to do better on the blogging. It's been tough since the pandemic hit for isolating it is.