Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, February 06, 2022

falls


There are many things for which elders are told to watch out. Blood pressure, blood sugar, pains, etc. etc. One of them is falling...

Before I was an elder, or whatever you call old folks, I took falls at various times but always about tripping on something, like on a hiking trail or walking up from the fields and my toe catching an uneven edge of the field. Then there was the time I broke my nose falling after I caught my toe on a carpet that was uneven. That one could have been bad since I landed on our bedroom's rock floor. It was scary-- all falls are. But overall, my nose survived and it made me more aware of our Oriental rugs.

The fall that I took the 26th of January didn't involve what I expected and could have been far worse than it was. I had decided to walk out the door to our concrete patio, pick up our small cat from a chair and carry her into the house. I got to the door, put one foot up onto the house when the other foot began to slide. I knew I was falling, but I worried also that I'd hurt the cat I was still carrying. I went down hard, hit my head on the screen door and then the concrete, I laid there a few seconds while I tried to figure out if my fall had crushed the cat. She was long gone. Then, I felt of my head. I had a lump sticking out from my hair... Not good. I got myself to a sitting position, into the house, and crawled to the sofa where I could use it and the coffee table to be sitting there when Ranch Boss got back from the store. He told me that the cat was fine. More or less I thought I was, although I wasn't sure about the meaning of the lump, which quickly went down.

I could go into more details about the next days, but the reason I am writing this is because of what I learned about head injuries, most of which I had wished I hadn't known. You don't need to lose consciousness for a head injury to be serious. You also, don't need to fall a long ways. What matters is what the brain has done as it hits against the skull.

My curiosity about this got into what happened to Natasha Richardson in 2009. She was on a beginner's ski slope, fell, hit her head on hard packed snow, was immediately back up, thought it was nothing. She was wrong and died 3 days later when she was brain dead from what her brain had done against her skull.

The other thing I learned is it can take a month for the worst consequences to show up with some head injuries. The lesson here, might be don't go to the internet for more info as it can be scary. Still, there are some symptoms of serious brain damage which include pain, nausea, unsteadiness, and more if you want to check it out.

We found out why my other foot slid-- loose dirt under the mat by the door. So, the lessons are get the mat away from the door, and do more exercises to have stronger leg muscles (something I knew was a problem at my age due to the lack of long walks).

So, this is here for warnings to others... as well as to quit thinking about what the heck I did that led to what happened.

10 comments:

ElizabethAnn said...

Hoo boy, scary! Hope your outcome is minor! We just had a major ice storm here, so the risk of falling outdoors is sky high. On the other hand, I go stir crazy staying indoors. But I do have ice grippers. Wouldn’t have helped in your situation though.

Rain Trueax said...

Thank you. Ice is always scary. This thing just surprised me as I wasn't prepared at all.

Tabor said...

That was a very useful post. I have had a few falls in recent years when walking on trails. Never hit my head, but really crashed. I have not fallen her at home, but with the new dogs and her enthusiasm for food, that might be an issue. I remember the Natasha Richardson accident well and that reminded me that any symptoms, small or otherwise need to be checked out!

Ingineer66 said...

Oh wow that is scary. Hope you are back to tip top shape soon. I just heard that Bob Saget had a head injury that lead to his death.

Rain Trueax said...

I just found the article about that, ingineer. Exactly what I'd read. It is scary as people just don't realize it. Head trauma led to Saget's death.

Rain Trueax said...

Tabor, and the cats make me aware of that too as they run in front or between legs. I love pets but they require being alert around them.

Joared said...

That was quite a fall you took, plus hitting your head on concrete especially concerning. Glad you haven't had any complications from that -- you were lucky.
Glad you learned that any hit to the head can result in brain injury (TBI) and you may not even have a visible bump on your skull. Doesn't take much sometimes. When someone falls, the first thing to ask is, did you bump your head? So, if you're going down, try to protect your head. Quite often it can be wise to contact your physician who might want to give you a neurological exam and might also recommend a brain scan. Important the person stay awake as they may be inclined to want to rest, fall sleep, and then they may never awaken.

Rain Trueax said...

Joared, until I took this fall, i had no idea as none of my falls had hit my head the same way. After research it pretty well said it can last up to a month for what might happen. Fortunately, I am past that :)

Greybeard said...

Ingineer66 beat me to the punch. I was gonna make the Bob Saget comment.
Hitting your head results in two collisions- your head against the immovable object, then your brain also collides with an immovable object... your skull. Your brain has the consistency of Jello, so your skull will win this battle.
Maybe we "elders" should be walking around wearing helmets all the time?
(I ask that only partially facetiously.)

Rain Trueax said...

That is funny, Graybeard, but it might impact why I no longer walk gracefully but watching where each step goes lol