Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, December 11, 2019

nature's gifts

by Diane and Rain
 

 Arizona sunset 12-4-19

With Diane taking a break until 2020, due to her need to be there for her husband healing from major surgery, her hanging a new show at her town's library, and computer problems, I will be posting all the blogs until after the New Year. I'll keep a regular one on Saturdays, as always, but the others may vary for which days or some might just be photos, such as the one above.

It turned out that sometime back I had put in a Word doc what Diane had written about a small stone she had given me and a painting she had done inspired from it. I instantly loved the stone, loved to touch it for its shape and smoothness. Of course, I had to buy the painting. With it she gave me a poem she had written. The stone and painting are in Oregon. I had taken photos of them thinking someday I might use them in a blog.


This seems the perfect time and season for the words and images.




Primal Pebble
By Diane Widler Wenzel

I picked up a cool pebble at our Cibola camp.
If she could see and speak, she could tell us an epic story.
Rounded and polished in the Colorado’s glacial floods,
Then her skin was blackened by air and sunlight,
The shiny black conceals a heart of hot iron colors from a fiery birth.
Ages ago, big sister rocks were visited by native hunters
Who carved through her blackened skin to warm life colors?
Prayerfully on the rocks imagining their memories, 
maps and dreams the hunters made 
 the blackened rock a character in our history.   

I have the rock alongside my Oregon desk where I write. On the same table are prayer beads, an old grinding bowl, a small skull, a tool that was found in our creek, and a Triskele, which our son and daughter-in-love gave us from their time living in Ireland.

The Triskele is an ancient Irish symbol, over 5,000 years old that stands for unity of the three. In the case of Celts, this is the physical, mental and spiritual. It also symbolizes the eternal life, the flow of nature, and spiritual growth. I debated whether to bring the stone and Triskele with me. I left them for the Oregon home to use while we were gone from it and hoping it will bring blessings on our son and his family.  

Diane wrote about that trip at her blog at that time    

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I missed that Diane was taking a break forsome good reasons, but this stone reminds me of a book I read and now I will have to research to find the title!

Rain Trueax said...

If you find the title of the book, I hope you'll mention it here. I always like to learn about books.

Annie said...

I love your photos! The Arizona sunset is especially striking!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thank you Rain.
I am pleased to report that my husband is beginning to eat a little more of my cooking. His needs for easy to swallow food is making me a better cook and kitchen cleaner. I am thankful that he is well enough to travel to Portland so we can witness one of our granddaughters graduate from Concordia University in Secondary Education with a concentration in Math and she coaches softball.
Still working to get all his health concerns covered with needed care. Still trying to keep a variety of foods dished up in small quantities a multitude of times a day. I thought I would be making lemon meringue pie filling without crust. But I am thankful to Marie Callinger’s frozen pie.