Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, August 14, 2019

by Diane; Henri Rousseau's THE DREAM painting and my textured surface ecliped inspiration from my garden


The 12' square canvas board last week made me feel tight. I did not possess the skill to render a miniature of Rousseau-like foliage. So this week I worked on a larger  24" x 36" stretched canvas but thankfully the palette knife textured surface forbid the fine detail of Rousseau's jungle painting.


Before cataract surgery the painting appeared more gray than lavender.
The grays made it more cohesive. Now I considered it unfinished
so I turned it upside down and started painting another version of  "The Dream". 


 I am comfortable keeping to my impressionistic style of the landscape when using Rousseau's work as a reference. Not tediously painting every leaf led me to consider his story content.

 

Le reve exotiqu or Le Songe, 1910
From my perspective in 2019, almost 120 years after Rousseau's painting was completed, the rainbow skirt had me wondering what was the relationship between the African snake charmer and the nude. Unintentionally my nude kept wanting to be flirtaceous - eying the snake charmer. The nude's head was on top of a bright red splotch from the old abstract.  The bright splash of color gave the impression of flowers in her hair like Frieda Kahlo, a sexually free experimenter. I kept trying unsuccessfully to make the charmer masculine. Furthermore the orange tree with ripe fruit reminded me of Miriam's orange.  Maybe with all the wild animals and foliage my painting wants to be a lesbian Paradise paralleling Adam and Eve. Or maybe Yadwigha is an enticing  mermaid.  I started researching Rousseau's painting on line.
Henri Rousseau wrote a poem to  explain his painting. Another explanation he gave was that the nude was on a couch in Paris dreaming she is in an African jungle.  Below is the translation from  French in Wikipedia.

The  Dream
Yadwigha is a beautiful dream
Having fallen gently to sleep
Heard the sounds of a musette
Played by a well intended snake charmer.
As the moon reflected
On the rivers or flowers), the verdant trees,
The wild snakes lend an ear
To the joyous tunes of the instrument.

Yadwigha was Henri Rousseau's Polish mistress from his youth.
Symbolically the  curve of  Yadwigha's thigh and leg parallel
 the similar curve repeated in the snake. Symbolically meaning
that Yadwigha was the other snake in his picture
both soothed and made docile with joyful music.

 

My painting is a day dream.- not a night dream like Rousseau's.  


 In Rousseau's painting the snake charmer was African with dark skin in the shadows of night while the nude was in the light. In 2019, I don't want to put dark skinned people in the shadows compared to the lighter skinned people because in my times diminishing the value of a person by putting them in the shadows is a hateful practice. Furthermore my painting is symbolically about celebration and light. In Rousseau's times the rainbow skirt was symbolic of peace. Since 1978 in San Francisco, Gilbert Baker made the first LGBTQ rainbow flag.

 I fell into a fascinating twist suggestive of another kind of Adam and Eve story. This detour amused me in the development of a painting celebrating my love of the wildness of my flower garden.  My painting took another turn back to  the inspiration from our flower garden. I removed the nude.  The lions remained because there are mountain lion sightings in our neighborhood. The The deer were very nervous this week so the running lavender colored deer remained.

My ending painting block idea worked.  Taking three unrelated inspirations and bringing them together makes me excited to see what happens next week!

 

5 comments:

Tabor said...

An interesting take on an iconic painting. I did not know the history of this.

Rain Trueax said...

I like this exciting new direction for your work and what has inspired it. Your trip might provide more such :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Yes, my trip is a life long dream to go to Paris and will see London a second time. But this Rousseau painting is MOMA New York. And I have learned to find inspiration where I happen to be. This trip is more a family trip than an art trip. I will do a few small sketches and when I get home I plan to do my usual with immediate response paintings.

Rain Trueax said...

Dream like paintings don't require being there to do sketches. They are about memories :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain,
There is always the possibility, I will see something on the trip that will be a springboard to a painting idea. It has happened in the past. In fact most travel has.