Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, June 07, 2014

Diane Widler Wenzel and a new show

Here is a two posts for one day- Diane Widler Wenzel is in a new show opening Tuesday at the LaSells Center in Corvallis. If you are anywhere near for the opening, be sure you check it out or visit the gallery where the show will be for most of June. 

The show has ten Albany artists each showing ten of their more recent works. It makes it diverse and interesting. Here's what Diane said about it.

An invitation to see Widler Wenzel paintings in a group show
The Albany Artist 10x10 exhibit show cases 10 two-dimensional artists from Albany - all on a different path from one another. Besides myself there will be Michael Linstrom, Marsha Meldfinger, Kurt Norlin, Molly Perry, Rob Robinson, Anna Lee Steed, Irene VanDusen, Michael Moore, Billie Moore at the Giustina Gallery, the LaSells Stewart Center, Oregon State University,  875 SW 26th St. Corvallis , Oregon 97330.  gallery hours Monday-Friday, 9am - 5 pm. The exhibit runs from June 2nd - 26.
Meet Diane and the nine other artists at a reception June 10 at 6:30 - 8:30 pm

 Diane Widler Wenzel's Process

 When I paint my best work, my feelings flow into my work surprising me.  Whether painting with oil, acrylic, watercolor or collage: whether starting with an object in mind or not, one piece flows to the next. Each piece is a record of a facet of my journey. A series of work is a record of my process.  My series include rivers, fishermen and family.  All my work together becomes a visual record of my life. 

When life throws curves or inspiration dries up, I think of my favorite watercolor colors. After painting several similar non-objective color compositions, I ask questions. What if I collaged unpainted, partially folded paper?

Currently I am working on a watercolor collage of some rocks that take on the form similar to an arm in the mouth of a clay cave. Over the wrist floats a well-used, waxed paper envelope with cancelled stamps. The arm reaches for another envelope with a letter and cancelled stamp - Shanghai, July 1, 1900. Symbolism is now again at play.

The painting above is one Diane painted along our creek. She was out Friday starting another one-- a tad smaller :) 

I don't know if the following piece is in this show. She had to narrow it down to ten and she is a very prolific artist, but I am particularly fond of the paintings she does of the ocean and thought I'd include it just as another sample of her work. She really captures the energy of the ocean.





4 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Yes Seal Rock II is in the show. Thanks for the plug.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Wish I cold get up there to see this....(I wish I could go anywhere...) This looks like it will be a Beautiful show! I see what you mean about Diane capturing the Sea.....Wonderful!

Hattie said...

She is very good.

Ingineer66 said...

Very nice. If I was closer I would come to the exhibit.