Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Rango

When I ordered Rango from Netflix, I had little confidence that I'd like it. It seemed kind of odd, a chameleon as a western hero??? But it had two things that drew me to it. One was two of my grandkids had said they really liked it. The other that it had the voice of Johnny Depp for Rango.

What I didn't know is how much fun it would be as it served on one level as a children's movie (although likely not real young ones as it does have some scary stuff) but on the other level as a spoof on westerns-- in fact on any genre films or books.

After we were a bit into it, given how much writing and analyzing of manuscripts I have been doing, I started laughing as it was lampooning all the things I love as well as the things I am writing. Westerns do have those elements that must be in them. The tops though was the Spirit of the West (based on something that was not Western at all), and the surprise as who voiced it.

For anybody who wants a break from depressing stuff and who has been a fan of western movies (we had just watched Tall T with Randolph Scott as our previous Netflix), this movie is a lot of fun. I plan to buy it eventually as part of our collection of kid flicks. For any fan of westerns, there is a lot of humor in it, some great character voices who pretty well cover what a Western must have to be true to its genre.

9 comments:

Taradharma said...

thanks for the review -- the movie sounds good! And yes, I could use a little laughter right now.

Kay Dennison said...

Sounds like my cuppa!

mandt said...

My dearest friend of forty years called over the weekend so say it was a fabulous film and don't miss it!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Gee, this sounds like GREAT Fun! I love JOHNNY DEPP...! And I have never even heard of this film....It is going right on my Netflix List...Thanks so much Rain!

Unknown said...

That was a good film with superb animation. It really spoke to me on a personal level in that Rango was going through a personal crisis and trying to find where he fit into the world and society. It illustrated the pitfalls of trying to insert yourself into a persona that is not really you.

Anne said...

I haven't seen any movie for a long time, but I think I'll have a look at this one. You have tempted me.

Darlene said...

There were only 2 Westerns that I liked; High Noon and Duel In the Sun. My grandchildren are nearly grown now so I don't think I am tempted to order this. Maybe I am making a mistake but my queue is full of movies I am waiting to see. If I ever catch up I will order it because of the good recommendations, though.

Anonymous said...

*,very nice page, i certainly enjoy this website, keep on it, keeping on!

joared said...

I enjoy most of Depp's movies. You've made this one sound inviting to watch as I, too, had some of the same initial reservations you mention.