Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, April 06, 2011

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

After having written about psychics and seeing other films about the 'other' side... or not, I found the next title to be intriguing when I saw it listed on Netflix. To add to its appeal, it seemed to be about complex relationships.

Although I am not a huge Woody Allen fan, he does explore complex relationships as well as controversial topics and I would say 'You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger' fits his pattern. The cast is excellent with Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas, Naomi Watts, Gemma Jones, Pauline Collins, and Josh Brolin. The story is a mix of characters that are all at a critical point in their lives.

An older man, unable to face growing old decides he can stay young if he leaves his wife. He finds a much younger lover although does she love him or what he can give her? Is her youthful world what he wants for himself?

His wife is left to make the most of her life when what she counted on is gone. Their daughter is no more settled in her choices. She married a man who is unwilling to take on adult responsibilities. Affairs, mistakes, how another person's choices impact yours, and dreams of something more than what they have are all part of this film.

I liked it particularly for the feeling of 'reality' to what happened. People make choices that often have consequences that they can no longer control. Life has a way of finding a way. I read a review that complained the characters weren't well cast which surprised me as I had thought they were very well cast.

Something that also intrigued me was the question of what makes one person sexually attractive to another or to others. It's not physical beauty per se. Something else is involved and although the film doesn't answer what it is, it does illustrate that it happens through various characters and relationships. Recently I read an article saying better to use the word attractive than beautiful and I think maybe that explains more of why some people can have perfect features but not appear attractive. Woody Allen doesn't really explore this as much as illustrates how it is-- and likewise how someone without perfect features can be very attractive.

Oh and about that psychic... never mind. If it sounds interesting, rent the movie :)

9 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Sounds great!! I put it in my queue!

Robert the Skeptic said...

Not a big Wood Allen fan myself, but recently re-watched "Crimes and Misdemeanors". Allen is indeed very good at poking around in the human mind; in this particular film, how one can find a way to justify any action.

Taradharma said...

I saw this one, and liked it as well. I haven't seen Allen's movies in the past decade or so, having become disgusted by his personal life. Then I decided to "get over it" because, before, he was one of my top 5 favorite film makers. I had a saying, "I would rather see a Woody Allen movie that's a bomb, than most new releases."

mandt said...

In spite of Woody Allen's revolting persona, he does produce superb art now and again. This is one of his 'Checkhov' style films. My very favorite is 'Interiors' ----a somewhat transitional play spoiled by his manic sense of outsider humor.

Tabor said...

While I like Woody Allen movies, I find his insecure character most annoying in the films and that characterization gets weirder as he has aged.

Rain Trueax said...

Fortunately he's not in this one as I don't like him either when he's acting.

Paul said...

Woody Allen reminds me of Bob Dylan-physically unattractive but very talentd...

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I;m not going to read your post about this film because I just put it on my Netflix Queue and I prefer knowing very little about the films I'm going to see, if possible....

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Fascinating, Rain. I'm so glad you have mentioned this as I have not seen it. I'll put it in my Netflix que. Thanks.