Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A few favorite quotations for life

If you love something, set it free.
If it comes back to you, it is yours.
If it doesn't, it never was.


On my home front, I've been concentrating on getting rid of debris in my life, editing a fiction manuscript from over 10 years back, to see if it has worth for today (not to mention the difficulty of bringing it to date for things like technology. Stories based in another time period avoid this problem), doing a daily drawing practice, all mingled together with regular responsibilities

As I was cleaning out a drawer of my desk-- a job that took me most of a morning due to the meaningless odds and ends that had been shoved into it (by someone, not sure who)-- I came across a pile of small post-it notes on which I had written some of my favorite, inspiring-to-me quotes. I liked rereading them and thought someone here might also. I combined them with some of my favorite photos from 2010 which were taken by either me or Farm Boss. It's often hard to tell who took what, but they came from what we were doing last year.

If I knew the author, I included it. Some are by well-recognized names. Some words have many who claim authorship. The one above, which is actually a magnet on my refrigerator, is said to be anonymous as might be some of the following. If I have one without an author and you believe you know who wrote it, I'll be happy to add that.

Also if you have a life quote that is especially meaningful to your life, please add it in comments. The following are in no order of importance to me but just as the little papers came out of my desk.

Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a winged bird that cannot fly. --Langston Hughes

Knowledge is awareness, and to it are many pa
ths, not all of them paved with logic. But sometimes one is guided through the maze by intuition. One is led by something felt on the wind, something seen in the stars, something that calls from the wasteland to the spirit. -- Louis L'Amour


Don't we all die someday and someday comes all too soon
? What will you do with your own wild, glorious chance at this thing we call life. -- Mary Oliver

Don't lose hold of your dreams! Dreams are birds in flight, oceans at high tide. Dreams give life wings and let us fly high.
-- although this resembles what Langston Hughes said, it's slightly different, might still be his, but I am not sure where I got it. I liked its additional imagery.

Go confidently in the direction of your dream. Live the lif
e you have imagined. If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. --Henry David Thoreau


And the day came when the risk it took to rema
in tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. --Anais Nin


What would it be like if you lived each day, each b
reath, as a work of art in progress? Imagine that you are a masterpiece unfolding each second of every day, a work of art taking form with every breath. --Thomas Crum


Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken! Take heed-- do not squander your life. --Zen night chant


Don't let someone else create your happiness
. Your joy lies within you.

Feel your feelings. Stand out in the rain-- naked and let the rain wash your soul.

Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake. --Sir Francis Bacon

I hope I have found myself, my work, my happiness -- under the light of the western skies. --Zane Grey


Dreams are necessary to life. --Anais Nin

I do not unmarry ____. But I marry myself. I take my fate as within. --Sena Jeter Naslund


Where we choose to be-- we have that power to d
etermine our lives. We cannot reel time backward or forward, but we can take ourselves to the place that defines our being. --Sena Jeter Naslund


The final piece of paper that was in my desk is a bit different. I think now its meaning has changed for me and what it means is surrendering to the power of life, letting it take me wherever it might go. It is surrendering to the experience of life and our own place in the creating of it. Grace is the fact that we were gifted with life at all.
Om Namaha Shivia
Surrendering to God. The power of God is within me. The grace of God surrounds me.
There is one more that stays in my memory, after many years on a paper in my wallet that finally disintegrated but not before I had memorized it. It was particularly important to me during the child rearing years.
Let my love like sunlight surround you and yet give you illumined freedom. -- Tagore

15 comments:

Annie said...

Oh this is a wonderful post, love the photos and the quotes.

For years I carried around (in my wallet) an Arthur Miller quote: "I think one must finally take one's life in one's arms."

It meant to me about having compassion for oneself, I always took heart from it at the lowest points in my life, like hugging a teddy bear. Not exactly an inspiring quote like yours are, but still, at a certain time it was healing.

Tabor said...

A lot inspiration here. Nice to wallow in this.

Rain Trueax said...

I like that one by Arthur Miller. It really says it all and very succinctly. I'll add it to the post-it pile :)

Taradharma said...

Rain, me thinks this post was made just for me! Each quote was more affirming than the last - I can hardly name a favorite.

Of course my two favs are on m blog: Wake up! Life is transient. Swiftly passing. Be aware the great matter. Don't waste time.

and

You are perfect as you are and you could use a little help.

Thanks to you Rain, for a inspirational post.

Paul said...

Great post and wonderful pics Rain !!

mandt said...

What a wonderful way to start the day! Thanks....peace, m

Anonymous said...

"An artist discovers his genius the day he dares not to please." -- Andre Malraux.

from Julie

la peregrina said...

Rain, you have been on fire the last few weeks. Lovely stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

May I add one more.

"You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream." (C.S. Lewis)

from Julie

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful post, rain. The photographs are spectacular and the quotes inspiring.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Rain, not for the first time I marvel at how there seems to be a kind of telepathy working in the blogosphere, people writing about similar themes at the same time, without necessarily being aware of the connection.

Dale (over at Mole) has just written a post about clearing out 'debris' and in my comment there I mention the same thing. Now I wander over here and find a similar conversation!

One quote I will contribute to your collection - there are so many I could mention - is by Michel Seuphor (there are references to him on many parts of my blog and website). This is something he wrote in a letter to me many years ago and it went into the book I made with other quotes from him.
(The original was in French. My translation).

"Make something, produce something, anything, but something each day. Put aside, don't judge: make. Even if you repeat the same thing day after day. To build one's nest, twig by twig."

Rain Trueax said...

I love that quote, Natalie. That is SO true. All of the ones added here will go into my collection and someday I'll do another of these combinations of photos and words with what is meaningful to me at that time. I really enjoy them and even better when I get new ones given to me from doing it.

Anne said...

Great quotes. Superb photos.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

The Zen night chant is one of my favorites. Thanks for this pick-me-upper post. Everyone is cleaning out!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your
efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thank you once again.


my homepage - Kris Letang Black Jersey