Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, April 15, 2007

Somewhere along a trail

"All that we are is a result of what we have thought." Buddha

I would venture to add that while we can't always control those thoughts, we can make the effort to have experiences that make our thoughts positive as much as possible. For me, those times come most readily from being out in nature. The memories and energy from those times become part of who I am.

Not that I don't like groomed gardens, but the more some government entity improves a desert trail to make it wider and more accessible, the less pleased I am. When I am out there, I don't want a sidewalk experience-- there are plenty of places for that.

When the park service and volunteers began broadening the Canyon Loop Trail at Catalina State Park, I went so far as to voice my opinion. It didn't help as when a plan goes into place to broaden a road, sidewalk or trail, it's seen as progress to a certain mindset. When I first walked there, the trail was winding, around and over boulders, narrow in places, the kind of trail that makes you slow down, where Zen moments happen because you are not rushing past them.

Currently, where it comes to Catalina, I have to get off the main trail, take smaller, less traveled paths, and sometimes wade the stream to find the quiet places, the ones that urge a hiker to stop awhile. I do not bushwhack as almost everything in the desert has one kind of thorn or another.

When I see the houses going up everywhere in Tucson, I feel sad because too many are being put behind thick walls and gates to protect their new owners from what to me is the most beautiful part of living there-- the Sonoran Desert. Yes, there are dangers that the fences keep out, but they also keep out life flow.

I think if more people experience wilderness, even tiny parts of it, they'll see more reason to protect it. If it isn't protected, wilderness will disappear. What our ancestors protected, it's up to us to maintain. I would hate to think only our generation saw the dollar sign as more important than preserving beauty and the possibility to experience unfiltered nature.

For this blog, I wanted to find photos that would show the energy of these places as it is reflected through a person. They happen to all be of me, but they could be anyone. I see many faces while hiking who reflect the same love of the places. Sometimes we all stop and say hello; sometimes we respect each other's moment of experiencing the now.

Because my husband had taken so many interesting photos in so many great places, I had a hard time narrowing it down. Even though, there are still too many, I am making them small. Click on those of interest.

These all came from Catalina State Park and Sabino Canyon-- end of March and first day of April-- somewhere along a trail enjoying what nourishes my spirit more than any mall (of which I went in none this trip), movie theater (didn't end up doing that either), or restaurant (okay, I did do that).

Under the desert sun, it's wise to carry water, use sunscreen, hats, and long sleeved shirts if you aren't going in the early morning. At Sabino there were (as there have been since major fires in the Catalina Mountains) warnings about mountain lion sightings. Everywhere there could be rattlesnakes. I have even seen Gila monsters at Sabino-- which are rare and only a danger if you see them as a pet, not a poisonous lizard which can get testy if prodded. Most wild things are more eager to avoid you than you them, but never forget what is out there can be poisonous. At Sabino, a couple of years ago a small child was bitten by a diamondback as she sat on a rock under which the snake had found shelter.

In my opinion, when out in nature, whether it's woodland or desert, enjoy and look for the place that says ah ha. There will be many from which to choose when you slow down enough to hear them.

The boo-boo photo is one of those times (which I have more than I should) where I stepped out without counting the cost. It was at Sabino. I saw a place I wanted to look at more closely. The side of the bridge was not very high, the pool was quite shallow. I had just stepped off the edge as my husband said-- don't do it there. Well there might have been okay except the sand there was very soft having washed in with the recent floods. I felt my foot twisting as it gave and knew I was going to fall. The pool was shallow (as you can see). My only fear was that my camera would end up in it with me. I twisted to the side, managed to lower it onto the bridge before I hit the water.

My husband came over with the expected-- are you okay? My comment was-- who cares, what about my camera? It did survive with no damage, but the polarizer lens was not so fortunate. I ended up with a small elbow scrape but had the fringe benefit of being cooler the rest of the walk.

Did I learn anything about sticking to the beaten path? Probably not.

(For anyone who has only recently discovered this blog and would like to know more about Tucson, in April of 2006, I also wrote about the desert, sacred places, and my home down there.)

8 comments:

Mary Lou said...

You write about the desert so well that I can see it! You have a great way with words there Rain. Did he kiss it and make it better? (the elbow!)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful country! And a beautiful woman to embrace it. It is disheartening when someone in charge decides to "improve" hiking trails, access, etc. On the other hand, the older I get, the more some of those improvements are appreciated. You are so lucky to be able to live your life in the great outdoors, at the ranch up north and the desert down south.

robin andrea said...

That desert canyon looks like a grand place to hike. And, you look like a delightful companion to hike it with. Great pics.

Anonymous said...

I wish people would leave these beautiful trails and paths alone too Rain. The desert canyon is just gorgeous...you are so fortunate to have all this beauty right at your feet. I'm not sure I'd ever go home. You look lovely Rain....and very happy out there. Great pictures....

Suzann said...

Beautiful land and a beautiful woman. I too love the desert from years of living in New Mexico a very long time ago. Thank you for sharing these wonderful hikes in nature.

Sandy said...

I've added hiking desert trails to my list of things that I know I would like to do. You can tell by your pictures that you enjoy it so much. I'm glad that both you and the camera were alright. The pictures of the desert and yourself are great.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Rain, you are a beautiful woman as Winston points out. When I see photos of you I always think of sensuality and "earth mother." And the canyon trail is also lovely. Obviously, hubby wanted a lot of photos of his wife. Do you ever wish you could stay in Arizona full-time someday?

Anonymous said...

What a great post and loved your photos!
I so agree about leaving nature as it is. We live on a dirt road. Never in my life have I lived on a dirt road. Always paved. I LOVE this dirt road. Truly love it. Whenever there's talk that the 6 home owners might want us all to chip in to get it paved....I'm always in disagreement.
Every single time I head out with the dogs on that road, I can hear John Denver in my head, "Take Me Home Country Roads."
Excellent post, Rain. And as you can see, I finally found my way here to catch up!