Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fox Story Continued


 Kwan Yin might be good for peace of mind. She looks like she should be.

Maybe when the fox story, so far as we are concerned, has been over, as in months from now, I can be more sanguine about the experience. I recognize we have just been a wayside along a wild animal family path. We had no say in what happened nor did we have any real control. I never wanted to get personally attached to any wildlife for those obvious reasons.

Sometimes the mother fox and I watch each other but with no real ability to communicate. I don't know what she thinks. I do know foxes should not trust humans. Perhaps she knows the same thing. It is my desire to make her understand I mean her well knowing it's not really a healthy thing for her to believe because some humans shoot or poison foxes.

Our experience has given me a lot of great photos of wild fox behavior with babies. Someday I'll put together a slide show. I also took some videos of them playing which I will also share but as part of the whole picture, I hope. I know I have been blessed with this kind of close connection to wild animals. I've researched them when before I never had any interest in such knowing. It also has had pain attached because I am not someone who can just take and enjoy what is in front of me. I project. Where it comes to foxes, where statistically most of their young are not raised to adulthood, caring isn't smart for a human

It's a tough life for animals that are both predator and prey. It's dangerous for those that live near highways. Last night when I heard the coyote yelping, I worried. Will Foxie, her partner and those three babies be safe? They are an ancient species and have been here since the mammal age began. The species will survive-- just not all of them. When you come to care for one little mama fox and her offspring, you aren't concerned with the species.


The following is a video discussing some of how I have seen this. Who knows how she sees it-- perhaps hopeful that we are those who can help without hurting her. I wish her the best in raising up her young, but I cannot do anything to make that happen-- even though I did get up and yell at the coyote to try to scare it away. However, as occurs a lot in life, I have to release the results of this experience. I have no control over what that might be.


13 comments:

Tabor said...

We interfere, assist, ignore, pretend, etc. We are a part of them and they us, whether they move in close or far. We have to compromise the best we can. I think the fox is thinking the exact sames things you are!

Rain Trueax said...

She might be, Tabor. I will say this, they are very intelligent. I think she does more scavenging while her mate is better at the hunting although I have seen the pair go out and when the three little foxes follow, it's like a tiny pack. So cute but too fast to catch with a camera. When I have time, I'll try to put the photos into a logical sequence and share with others. I am in awe of foxes is all I can say ;)

Celia said...

I am so enjoying your fox observations and am learning a bunch. I get your thoughts on being a biologist though. Each time I've some PBS wildlife film and the lion or wolf or whatever picks off the fleeing baby of some other species, I say "oh no!" out loud and wonder how they can film and not interfere. They shouldn't interfere of course but there you are. And then I think maybe getting to see all this is wonderful enough to compensate for the reality of wildlife doing what they are supposed to do. Thanks again for your observations and study. Looking forward to seeing mores.

Celia said...

Seeing more I meant, not mores.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I too, am very much enjoying your Fox experiences and I would be like you---maybe even more so---I would get emotionally involved....
What I find so interesting about this story is how you are getting to see Fox behavior that most people never do, and therefor you can see their intelligence and caring, etc....I so look forward to more pictures, Rain....and any Video you should get,too.

Anonymous said...

You are very lucky to be having this experience and insights. I think I would respond in very much the same way. I grow very attached to wildlife and have had to learn to distance myself from their lives. It has been a true vicarious treat seeing these foxes through your eyes.

Rain Trueax said...

My concern here is that this has to end with a tragedy as that's the way of nature as we humans see it. Nature just sees it as what is required for balance. Happy endings aren't that common and so many things can go wrong with foxes including disease. We had a lot of our raccoons here die from parvo. It's not like you can inoculate a fox-- not that I wouldn't if I could ;)

Ingineer66 said...

I like reading your tales of the Fox family. Survival of the fittest is sometimes difficult to watch.
A friend of mine that is a rancher normally shoots coyotes if they get too close to his house. But this spring he went out to shoot one and it was a mom and her pups. He couldn't shoot them, but when they grow up the story may not have the same ending.

Hattie said...

Very insightful. I can't watch the video, because my service is blocking it, as it sometimes does. But when I can, I will look at it.

Rain Trueax said...

The coyote babies are a tough one, ingineer. I hear them also as they begin to learn to fend for themselves which means kill. Foxes have the same issues. It's good to lower the rodent population and fortunately the foxes are too small to take down a sheep

Tara said...

remember the prime directive....

these baby fox are adorable, and i can see why you are attached and fascinated.

Mark said...

Robin Andrea directed me here, because we have been having our own fox drama for several months. We agree with your feeling that foxes and humans should stand a respectful distance apart, but one of our foxes has suffered an injury, and we fell victim to human sympathy. We, too, have cats, most of which stay outside. We have even seen our meanest cat chase one of the foxes. But the foxes eat the cat food, and one has suffered what appears to be a permanent injury, so we rationalize putting out dog food for them. Probably not the wisest choice, but since when are humans wise? Anyway, I enjoyed reading about your foxes.

Rain Trueax said...

It's a tough one, Mark. They are so cute but they are wild animals. From what I have read, since we had them move in, is that what we are experiencing is not unusual. They know how to live near humans and with coyotes out to kill them, not surprising that they do. I will have more on this topic in the future as it's certainly not over here and when these babies are grown, I wonder what comes next. There just isn't enough food for five foxes right here. (