Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, February 14, 2011

Romance and my recommendation for worst such film of all time

Valentine's Day and I wasn't planning to write anything on it because I am a bit bah humbug about such holidays. Symbolisms always leave me cold. This is a day supposedly to turn on the romance and make money for merchants? Leave some people sad because no valentines? Remind others they didn't get what the 'dream' was all about? I have never liked this holiday. I dislike it more as I get old.

And where it comes to romantic films, well they are worse than Valentine's Day. They are aimed at presenting a view of relationships that might exist for a fleeting second, for a few, but basically isn't how life is for the majority of couples. However, for reasons I cannot figure out (can I blame it on astrology? I should see where Venus is), I dug out a romantic film that I had bought years ago in one of those $5 bins and had put off seeing because of-- see above.

Spoiler ahead so you are forewarned if you go forward that I will reveal the plot and ending to the 1980 film, Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer. I am doing this review partly out of disgust, partly as a rant, and partly to do my part to keep someone else from wasting their time on it. Better an umpteenth viewing of To Have and Have Not or Key Largo. Now those folks knew what romance was-- even if it wasn't.

And, if this happens to be one of your favorite love stories, you can make your case in comments.

As the film opened, I thought I can handle this. A little reincarnation maybe. Some time travel. Endless love. It's not like I never have watched or liked romantic films. I have some that I enjoy-- whenever I need a good cry. Its stars were very appealing and its theme music even more so (I had to buy an MP3 of the film's arrangement)-- Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. That has to be one of the most romantic melodies ever written. The location it was filmed on was lovely-- big old hotel of the sort they don't build today with a grand history and beautiful location on Mackinac Island, Michigan.

So I stuck with the film despite a few misgivings. With a less good cast, less beautiful setting, less good music maybe I'd have wised up sooner; but it took right to the end before I realized how much I'd been had. I was so furious at that point that I took the movie out of the DVD player and threw it in the garbage can. I have only done that once before. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it is the most disgusting take on romantic love that could be out there. If you don't know what romantic love is, this won't help you figure it out!

Here's the plot's gist. It opens with Reeve a college student who had just seen his play produced and was at the beginning of a fabulous career. Was there a handsomer man ever? A very old woman has been sitting watching and then walks up to him, puts her hand on his shoulder, gives him a watch and creepily says -- come back to me. She walks off. He is perplexed. She goes back to where she lives in The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, starts some music and sits back to listen to it. Fade out.

Eight years go by. He is now a successful playwright, has made a good living, others want his next play but he can't concentrate. He is playing some music-- that music. dum de dum dum. Romance is on even if he has yet to meet her.

So he goes for a little vacation which coincidentally ends up being the hotel where she had been eight years earlier. He feels something but isn't sure what until he comes across photos of a famous actress who was playing there in 1912. She is gorgeous. He wants more information on her which he quickly gathers. He finds his name in a guest register for that very time where he now is.

In the rooms where she lived, he finds a book she has read often. The woman who had helped care for her tells him that the watch he has was precious to the old woman, Elise, that she died the very night she must have given it to him... and that she had her whole life changed in 1912 on a certain date. From that time forward she didn't do much and became reclusive.

The book he looks at is by this time not surprisingly, on time travel and conveniently the professor who wrote it lives nearby where he can learn how you do it-- basically it's meditation that involves body travel but it is very hard on the body.

You know how on movies, you pretty well can figure where something is heading at certain points. The assumption he has and us too is that she wants him to come back to 1912 to that date and maybe this can all be changed from whatever went wrong. That was my expectation anyway. I assumed he would not come across the young man version of himself there but that would have worked also if he was just a spirit back there wandering around and watching.

Possibly if he did that he'd see the previous mistake and find her again in today's time. Okay that's not likely given she had only died 8 years before. Anyway the feeling is he would learn something beneficial to his life when he went back-- or he'd be able to stay there and that would change what happened. All valid romantic possibilities. Unrealistic but possible in a fantasy. I do not remotely demand happy endings to my favorite romances like Casablanca or Bridges of Madison County.

He gets back there after making sure he has cleared his pockets of anything that might remind him of from where he has come. He meets her. They have obstacles (Christopher Plummer), overcome them, make love, and then... he finds a penny in his pocket from 1979 and is instantly thrown back to from where he came.

All right, I could have taken all of that. A viewer of romances must be forgiving. It's not like I really expect it to be realistic. I might have not valued it enough to watch it again, but it would not have found its way to the garbage can. What happened next though was not okay even in a romance.

Back in his hotel room, he sat there, glassy eyed, looking out the window, unable to move. When the hotel went to check on him, he was dying.

I thought-- oh no, they wouldn't. They did... He died as she waited for him to walk to her in the sky.

Now when Titanic had Rose meet up with her lover who went down with the ship, it was fantasy but it came after she had lived her whole life in a healthy and full way. She died an old woman.

So this story basically had the old lady draw him to his doom when she said come back to me. She wanted him to not get a whole life? She gave up on life when he disappeared in the poof of a 1979 penny and he let himself die (the doctor thought of starvation) when he couldn't go back to her again. Weak? That was pathetic. I think the audience gets sucked in to watch the whole thing (unless they are wiser than me) because the actors that play these characters were/are strong people; and so you have them looking like the kind who'd never do such a thing while the script makes them do exactly that.

So I give my warning here for anybody who has not already wasted an hour and a half or so on this movie. Don't take any romantic movie too seriously. Don't spend your life waiting for that fairy tale romance and for heaven's sake don't watch that movie unless you enjoy movies about beautiful, total losers.

The only reason I can think that it doesn't appear on lists of the worst of all romance films has to be sympathy for Christopher Reeve and his tragic end as well as a liking for the cast. It's not enough.

(Interestingly William Macy had a small part in it before he became a star. Also it was based on a book where the hero had a brain tumor and the whole set of illusions might have been a result of that.)

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Symbols have great significance in almost every culture that has ever existed and still do. That is a fact. They do not leave me cold...:-)

Rain Trueax said...

They leave me cold because they fool people into thinking they are doing something when they are not like a Valentine's Day card. There are many who act all pious by following the religious rituals for instance but inside their hearts are dark. Jesus didn't have kind things to say about them either (not Saint Valentine's day, of course). He said it's the attitude of the heart that matter.

How did you like the film if you saw it?

Celia said...

I did see the film and I didn't like it. Symbols are another thing for me, I pay attention to them in my dream work, and they are important to me in my art.

The most romantic film I can think of right now was "The Unbearable Lightness of Being."

Anne said...

You have convinced me. I certainly will not watch that. What a story!

Rain Trueax said...

I also look for symbols in dreams and understand what you mean by that, Celia. They are usually though unique to us with a message for us. Symbols like sending a Valentine are different to me but you make a good point on possible times symbols aren't bad.

I can actually think of another film, Kevin Costner's Dragonfly, where the symbol of a dragonfly was very important to the story. It's another I thought this better not be going where it looks like it is BUT it didn't and I consider it a good film.

I also liked Unbearable Lightness and hadn't seen it until last year when I then ordered the DVD. It's about romantic love but also life, very nontraditional and beautiful film in my mind.

Taradharma said...

Don't watch The Time Traveler's Wife. Just sayin'. And remember, tomorrow is Singles Appreciation Day! Let's here it for the singles in the world!! Bless them!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Oh, I probably would not watch this film anyway. But thanks for the review.

Rain Trueax said...

You never know what might draw your interest sometime in a list at netflix. They make them sound awfully appealing on the outside ;)

Kay Dennison said...

I doesn't sound like my cuppa. I don't mind a sappy love story now and then and I have no problem with symbolism but I demand that it's believable and this sounds pretty ridiculous.

I gave up on taking romance seriously long ago for good reason.

Rain Trueax said...

My review was, of course, my take on it-- not flattering. Here's how Netflix advertised it--

"In this unabashedly romantic film, an elderly woman approaches playwright Richard Collier (Christopher Reeve) and presses a pocket watch into his hand whispering, "Come back to me." Years later, Collier becomes obsessed with a picture of an early 1900s actress (Jane Seymour) and discovers that she's the woman who gave him the watch. Collier wills himself back in time to find the woman, and the two begin a love affair."

Darlene said...

I saw the movie years ago and had forgotten how it ended. I agree; it was a very disappointing ending and rather stupid.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

For some reason..I could never get into this film, so your review saved me the trouble of EVER trying!! I thank you for that, my dear.
Have you ever seen "STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN"? It is a great Englsh film--1946, that actually had a name change somewhere along the way...."A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH"...The two Directors were Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger--responsible for "THE RED SHOES and "BLACK NARCISSUS" just to name two of their fantastic films among a number of other great films of theirs....

"A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH" has some similarities in that it is about a man struggling with death and there is a woman he is in love with---well I don't want to spoil it for you---So RENT IT! It probably wouldn't be considered a 'romantic' film, but it is, in it's own way....David Niven and Kim Hunter were the stars...It is BEAUTIFULLY made, in every way....
Just a thought for you, my dear Rain....And in reality has very little similarity to "Somewhere In Time"....But I thought of it while reading some of the plot as you outlined it.....

Thank you so much for your very kind and caring words regarding dear Betty...They meant a lot to me. These are very hard days.

Paul said...

Jesus was himself a symbol and in fact still is Rain ...:-)

Rain Trueax said...

To me Jesus either was a man who was god or an ordinary man but a symbol? Most Christians would not like to think of him as such. I think the cross is a symbol but don't know how Jesus could be one. Explain what you mean...

Paul said...

Of course the Cross is a symbol Rain, but jesus and his message and suffering are symbols for Christians too. By the Way, does the Cross leave you cold ?

Rain Trueax said...

Unless Jesus wasn't real, I do not think he was a symbol. His name though and things attached to him in people's minds probably have become symbols and in that you are right.

Now with the cross, I have no emotional or legalistic view toward it. I don't consider one lucky, don't assume when I see someone wearing one that it means anything. I have several in my jewelry and a crucifix from my days as a Catholic. I don't have it up on a wall but could someday and have when I have put together small altars of symbols from many religions including my rosaries and Buddhist prayer beads. I have other symbols around here-- two Buddhas (one outside and one in), a Quan Yin in the garden, candles from San Xavier, one with Our Lady of Guadalupe on it. Maybe I could count some animal skulls found out in the desert or forest (none of our own). I don't regard any as something that emotionally has a hook to it but more reminders of something which is good if it doesn't end up being legalistic. I would not put my crucifix in a jar of urine but I understood the artist who did was making a symbolic statement which might have been against Christ or might've been against the way the church has used Christ to impoverish and abuse peoples around the world using the crucifix and the stories to gain power.

When I say symbols leave me cold, a better way to express that, since this has become the only real topic here *s* is to say it doesn't inspire me. It is flat. I don't see a symbol and go wow, now I want to do this or that. They don't arouse anger in me nor do they make me feel ecstatic.

When I see one someone else has placed prominently, like say the Ten Commandments in a park, it doesn't enrage me; but if I thought my tax dollars were doing it, especially where we are about to deny people who are poor help, I'd be mad. not at the symbol which I think is ignorant that anybody believes it's the base of our laws when the only ones on it that we actually have for laws are pretty commonly dealt with by other and even prior legal codes.

But you are right... symbols matter a lot to some people. They often miss the real point of them while they are getting so aroused.

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks, I will check out that movie, Naomi when I think I can handle another romance but I wrote the name down for such time :)

And I was very sorry to hear about Betty as I knew what a loss that was to you and really to everybody who knew her as she sounded like a wonderful woman in all the important ways.

Rain Trueax said...

And I do like some religious symbols obviously of various sorts like that Lady of Guadalupe. I don't though believe they have religious power and that's probably what I should have phrased better regarding 'leave me cold'. Not that they anger me but that say a valentine would not to me mean someone loved me. I have never believed symbols of love should be kept for one day of the year or appreciating parents or any of the other things commercial interests talk us into setting aside for profit in stores. I should have come up with a better word than cold as they don't make me mad either. They just don't matter... Leave me tepid doesn't sound right though either *s*

Robert the Skeptic said...

I think for me a romantic film is "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir". Sweet, sappy, it gets me right 'there'.