Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, April 08, 2008

McCain is the wrong man

The last two blogs were really about poverty-- its roots and some of its results. What one thinks should be done-- or not-- often carries over to their political philosophy. Most of us are aware our country is facing many serious problems-- immigration, war, infrastructure crumbling, trade issues, possible recession or worse, global climate change, environmental protection, social issues, energy costs and potential shortages, etc. Who best can handle these problems? I have written about the Democratic candidates and now here's my take on the Republican choice.

Where do I start with Senator John McCain's candidacy for the presidency of the United States? Simple statement says it all-- He's the wrong man at the wrong time! Then comes why I believe that to be so. How about starting with Frank Rich's column in the New York Times for April 6th-- [Tet happened and No One Cared].

Obviously I would disagree with almost all of John McCain's stands on issues-- assuming he stays with what he's said recently which given what he did on tax cuts is no given-- straight talk express, my foot. McCain, indicating what kind of judges he would choose, supported the nomination in 1987 of the conservative extremist Robert Bork. Some Republicans say McCain is too moderate, too middle of the road for them. Is that some kind of trick?

McCain brags about his stubbornness as if it's a virtue. After doing some research on McCain, who I really knew very little about before this, I realize that when he hugs up to Bush, it's probably because he recognizes a kindred soul. That thought should send shivers down our spines because it looks like they are indeed kindred souls. [Who is John McCain?]

He's a war hero, right? Except there is a lot more to that story, parts the mainstream media doesn't reveal or talk about. What the heck ever happened to genuine journalism? Where did it go? Oops, it's easy to go off on a tangent regarding our press, but here's what I found on the record about [McCain's military service.]

Are there things in McCain's past that might make him subject to control by neocons who can use things only they know to pressure him to do what they want? [More about who John McCain is... the kind of story the mainstream media leaves for independent newspapers to explore]

So what about today? Just how good is his judgment now? Frank Rich dealt with a very immediate McCain judgment call. Exactly how much does he understand about Iraq? Is it really all about patriotism or is it his own ego he's trying to protect and the media is helping him. Here is another look at that-- [McCain gets facts wrong again].

For anyone remotely considering voting for him as a viable choice in November, I hope you will take time to read these links; then do some of your own research. I don't generally use so many links, but this is one of those times where it'd take a book to explore why this man is a disastrous choice right now. To me, what is scarier is how the press is totally giving him a wash. I think they are because of those five years as a POW where he suffered terribly and acted nobly. The press admires him, seeing him as a genuine hero, and therefore don't explore any other parts of his past or present. What in his character would make him a good president? Is his being principled as a prisoner of war enough reason to vote for him to run the United States?

Over and over people like Chris Matthews, others on the mainstream media cable stations refer to McCain as a straight-shooter when his history shows he has been anything but. The press likes him and only briefly refer to that temper which he himself said even as a child was so vicious that he would literally pass out from his rages. The press ignores his mistakes and act as though he's so wise, that of course, he couldn't have misunderstood who the Shiites or Sunnis are. Real journalists would be heading their article-- He doesn't care who they are!

Finally here is an excellent analysis by Frank Schaeffer. The first book I read by him was written during his (and my) fundamentalist Christian years. He wrote one of the few of that kind of book that I kept as my life and philosophy changed, 'Addicted to Mediocrity' on creativity and spirituality. Oops, I am getting distracted again. Here is the link to Schaeffer's recent article in Huffington on McCain-- [Sometimes honor is wrong] on why McCain is the wrong choice for president at this critical time in the history of the United States.

And they tell us that it's taking a risk to elect Senator Barack Obama president???

8 comments:

Dick said...

Obviously there are some negative points to all of the candidates as well as some positive ones (well, I am not sure if there are any with Hilliary but maybe.) I think some of the main things that I see as needed now are that we need to make a major change in what our government is focusing on. We can not be the sole policeman of the world. We can not expect or try to force any other country to accept and like our form of government. We can not make them all be nice to all the people who live in their countries.

I think in trying to do this we have lost track of what is happening and what is needed in our own country. We spend billions to make things better in other parts of the world. We bring people here for amazing miracle medical procedures while many of our own citizens can not get basic medical care because they can't afford it.

We need to change our focus and I think that means we need to elect a President who has different hot buttons. I am a bit reluctant to turn over the 3 branches of government to just one party but the past 7 years have shown that the President can run rough shod over the Congress so I guess it might be necessary to have one from the opposite party in office. For at least four years.

Another thing I think that will be very important about McCain's candidacy is who he selects to be his running mate. At McCain's age I doubt that he would run for a second term and that person in the VP chair has an inside track toward the office in the next election. He might pick someone that would be very bad for the country.

Dick said...

My 3rd paragraph is a little confusing. I meant to have a President from the opposite party of our current one, not the opposite party of both halves of Congress. Then maybe if there are enough Republicans left in Congress they can keep the Democrats from giving away the farm during that four years but still let them improve conditions here at home.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that anyone believes it is the Democrats who are willing to give away the farm. The Republican Party no longer evinces any evidence of being fiscally conservative.

Anonymous said...

I am voting for ??? Well, I just don't know.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is beyond my understanding how anyone could even consider voting for McCain....A McCain Presidency will be a continuation of the Bush Presidency, which would be a total disaster for our country.

I love that you have those two little Lizards who died a place of honor in your home...Poor little guys getting caught in the house...!

Kay Dennison said...

Call me weird but I don't think any of the candidates are worth the gunpowdwer it would take to blow 'em to hell. I want a candidate who makes sense an believes in the Constitution. I think we've allowed our gov't to run roughshod over that fine document for far too long.

Rain Trueax said...

Your thoughts on this were good, Dick as they always are. It will be difficult whoever gets in office in January '09. So many problems, not the least of which is how many countries where we have lost respect from the people. It's a violent time with a lot of hot spots around the world. I just hope whoever gets in next will be good for our country.

I do believe in Obama, Kay, but understand how some feel otherwise about him.

Whoever people vote for, I hope they do research the candidates and find out as much as they can, not leaving it up to the media to spoon feed them info. Today we can do that with the internet although you have to sort through the sources for what is true.

Anonymous said...

I think some people are already trying to portray Obama as the second coming of JFK. He is no JFK and I am glad, because JFK had issues too !!