Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, September 16, 2017

making a video

One of the things about the internet is how it brings us in touch with so many people, from all around the world, those we'd likely never meet any other way. It seems relatively safe too-- other than insults being easier to throw around. The thing is the anonymity has a price attached-- lack of real connection. 

Oh, we can choose to meet in a real place, those we only knew through typed words and a few shared pictures. I've done that now with maybe 20 or so. Some came off meeting first in chat rooms. Some came later through Facebook connections. But many 'friends' remain typed words and a photograph (which might not even be them). 

For someone like me, who lives in a community where there aren't many like-minded folks nearby, the internet has become a way to connect with others, who are more like-minded. They can feel like friends, but we can't say-- hey, let's visit some antique stores today. Or how about lunch? The internet becomes a place to interact but yet... are we?

One way I tried to get past the feeling of unreality was to set up a blog I called Videos and Discussions. My idea was I'd create short blogs where I talked about my writing-- or whatever topic came to mind. Others would give me their links about their creative work and I'd post them as a place to get a little more real, to hear each other's voices, see how we look when talking, and then share those ideas that we would share over coffee if we lived closer. While I've done quite a few short talks there, it didn't end up having others want to share theirs-- or hasn't yet.


Then, I forgot about making the videos until last week-end when I thought it must have been a while. A while turned out to have been since 2015. On the weekend, I decided to do one regarding my recent work. I'd learned a thing or two about what makes a paranormal and that gave me a theme.

Back when I first began making videos, I knew I wanted them to feel like talking with a friend-- the thing I wasn't getting much of. Still, I wanted them to have some cohesion. With a friend, I could drift off this way or that, as could they. With a video, I have only four minutes (about the longest I expect people to stay with it). 

To get my cohesion, I don't do an outline or write down key points. I turn on the webcam and just start talking. I turn it off, watch it, and try it again-- with no intention of keeping these. Eventually, after a couple dry runs, I have a good idea of where I am going and what will best illustrate my points.

Then is when I look to room lighting. I tape these in a corner of the living room where my desk and webcam set. I turn off some lights and put on others as I like a visual with more light on one side and limited light behind. Since I don't cut and splice, the final video will be one take-- which means phone calls, husband walking through room, all can lead to a-- start over. 

I'll admit it. I want to look as good as possible for a video; so I put on the kind of makeup I only wear when heading to town. I also choose a top that doesn't change the lighting. I notice I have a lot of tan t-shirts, and they show up often in the videos I've done. 

When I sit back down, I start talking with the points in my head, which means if I do it more than once, it will vary. I haven't ever spliced one; but if I did any outside, that would likely have to happen.

If when I watch, it doesn't work, I try again-- although I don't keep doing and doing it as that seems to me it'd get stale. Monday, with two interruptions, the one below was the third try. I'd done the dry runs the day before as I fleshed out my ideas. Outlines might be more effective, but for me, this works best to stay loose.  I have no idea where the 15 came from on the video but it wasn't the takes this time. They all got erased except the final one.

Next step is post it to YouTube on my channel, which also has book trailers and nature videos that we've made. YouTube's computer chooses the thumbprint, with three options-- never good ones when I'm talking. Vimeo, which I have also used, lets the creator choose the thumbprint. Nice Vimeo. But I have to say YouTube is so easy to use that I generally go for it. 

So take a look at the one I made Monday, then come back for why I am posting this topic.


 

What I am hoping is my original idea for the link above could still happen-- not just with other writers, but photographers, painters, sculptors, cooks, quilters, etc. etc. I still think this is a way to make ourselves more real to each other when we don't have an opportunity to meet for real. And if we someday do, then that's still nice to share our creative work with others, those from around the world. 

There is another plus to making these. I think it can help us focus on what we are trying to accomplish when we talk about our work, when we make ourselves become cohesive in what we hope to accomplish. 

If you give it a try, get me the link. I'd love for Videos and Discussions to fulfill the purpose for which I had originally hoped-- a nest of creativity where the work is shared and encouraged. Besides bringing us together, the internet can do that.

1 comment:

Rain Trueax said...

I watched something on television last night that I wanted to share without creating a new blog or updating this one. I wrote about it on my Facebook Author page. Sadness and nostalgia. It's also about a show on Netflix.