Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, April 29, 2017

Beltane

by Rain Trueax

Here we are at another Celtic festival-- actually this one is April 30-May 1 and it's a May Day celebration for many cultures. I still remember May poles, where the pole had streamers and children danced around it. I don't know if that is outdated or now seen as occult. It has another meaning for me-- my father's birthday in 1910. 



 represents the peak of Spring and the beginning of Summer. Earth energies are at their strongest and most active. Where I live, it does seem more like the beginning of summer than Summer Solstice when we are already in the heart of our summer. There are rituals to welcome the summer. Beltane is known as the time of love as well as hand-fasting. Anytime is good to be a season of love.  

I've used Gaelic or Celtic festivals now in three of my books. Beltane became important in the climax to the most recent one, A Price to be Paid. Lammas (Lughnasadh) was in the contemporary paranormal, Sky Daughter. Samhain was in the Oregon historical Going Home). I have Solstices and equinoxes when they fit. I always note these days in my own life, sometimes do a little ritual with them. They are about nature and the earth more than any religion.

In terms of historic meaning in Celtic lands, Beltane was when the cattle were put out onto the wild pastures. Ours are already be out on theirs (as well as beyond where they were supposed to be) as the ground hardened up enough for them a little early-- despite all the rain we've had. The grass though is growing, and it's a good time as summer is my favorite season.

Reflections in our creek 

7 comments:

Celia said...

Your photo/illustrations on this post are lovely. Most of my sisters and I mark those festivals in one way or another, they are so tied to changing seasons and the flow of life. My mother used to talk about how being out in the woods was the most spiritual place for her. My kids just got their new chicks, six for the existing flock. Later this spring they are adding two goats. No farm anymore but a truly gigantic yard. You have a lot of work ahead of you.

Rain Trueax said...

I would love to have chickens but it'd take a really secure coop and yard or we'd just lose them. Then you have to be there every morning and be willing to eat the non-producers. I love chickens, their beauty, the sounds they make, their eggs... :)

Brig said...



No better place to celebrate Beltane then outside. I love being out in the country, it is always where I'm happiest. Hoping we have a slow beginning to summer, but two days of North wind have already fried the oats, and the other grasses are turning as well.

Great illustrations, I have got to get my act together and try that.

Rain Trueax said...

We're concerned up here for hay and pastures. Some years aren't good for grass production. Hope the summer won't be a green tomato summer.

Rain Trueax said...

And Brig, Dreamscope is fun but i never know what I'll get. It has its own rules ;)

parapluie said...

Love your images. I'll try to get outside today to garden and to paint.

Rain Trueax said...

It has clouded up here. Hopefully Wednesday will be the sunny day they promised.

One thing about the dreamscope apps-- it's no substitute for a gifted painter as it is palette limited.