Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, March 22, 2017

something else


by Rain Trueax


 image and words from Stencil

Everybody needs money and enjoys it when their work is compensated. Well, there are issues like charities where that is not so but then the compensation is emotional satisfaction. Blogging though takes a lot of time and work. It does not in itself return anything to most, who offer their work free. There are ways it could be compensated like by subscriptions or donations but most are not

When I began creating my blogs, I decided I'd not do ads. The opportunity was always there (still is), but I didn't like the idea of cluttering the blog and never felt the money would make it worth the distraction ads would bring (other than my own books but I keep their ads below the current blog entry).

A few months ago, from other writers, I learned about Amazon associates. To add its code to your site costs you nothing nor does it cost the one who might click on an associate link. It does give the associate a small credit, which for some can add up. What Amazon is doing is rewarding an advertising source, which might be a blog but could be other websites the associate owns. There are rules, which you can find if you decide to look into it.

A few months ago, I saw no downside, signed up, and changed my sidebar to use those links for my books. Only rarely do I post here about a product, but if I do, I have the option of adding my code with the chance it might give me some income. 

The only downside, for the one who clicks on the link, is an Amazon cookie that lasts a day (the EU requires a warning that it is there). It is less invasive than other places we might visit, which in my experience last much longer. It is basically one way Amazon advertises-- sort of silently. When I research buying a pair of boots one place, I'll see ads for other boot sites for days. It's the price we pay for keeping the internet free. Nothing is really free. The least obnoxious options are the ones I favor as a way to pay. 


Understanding how these codes work with Amazon, if I am visiting someone's blog where I'd like to reward them for what is there, I click on a product link, don't likely buy it but do buy what I already intended to get that day-- they get the credit

Some of writers claim they do quite well with the codes. In my case, I haven't ever made anything off mine, but it also doesn't cost me anything and makes it easier to have the book links updated when I do a cover change (which happens off and on).

I mention this for any of you who have blogs and may not have heard of the possibility. Sites, that make the most of theirs, will have their code with something they recently bought and recommend to others (the full time RVer sites particularly benefit from this as do their readers). There is no clutter, it's personalized, and gives the site a potential financial reward... sometimes. For some of the full-time RVers, that income is why they can live their lifestyle

I read the other day that major businesses are dropping social media ads as they aren't returning enough for their costs. If that happens, places like Facebook will either have to start charging, offer less, or maybe end altogether. Nothing lasts forever-- especially not in our culture where change is the name of the game.
    

4 comments:

Tabor said...

There is no free lunch. Even freedom of the press costs a lot of money. FB is going to change? Start charging? I wonder if those millennials will accept that or just move on to twitter and snapchat for a while.

Rain Trueax said...

I don't know what sites will do about it. Sometimes they quit if they feel it's not worth it for them. Years back, early on with the internet, I liked a chat site for over 50s. I made some friends there, met some for real, but probably in a package deal, Disney acquired it and decided it didn't profit them-- they closed it. The internet is that way. People complain at the ads on FB but the ads are why they aren't being asked to pay for it. Would they? I don't even know if I would and I like going there. I guess it would depend on the cost-- same with blogger.

Celia said...

Ah advertising. If you want to sell something you have to get the word out. This is often the downfall of artists, be they painters or writers or...I miss an arthritis chat site I visited years ago that really was full of people helping each other with ideas for daily living. Slowly people selling things, some quackery too, took over and the whole thing went away. But that's the internet, constant change and awareness required. I use FB to keep up with family and friends and especially my grandkids. Once in awhile I've gone out and looked (shopped) for attractive things just to replace the ad photos that keep popping up for something I looked at but wasn't interested in. Now there's an exercise in futility.

Rain Trueax said...

It is the problem with all businesses. I never mind them on FB but some don't like them. I do say to hide the ones I would find offensive or dislike but otherwise, I don't even look at them other than to think how fast they find out I was trying to get reservations at the beach and now a ton of other options appear. Sometimes it's handy. The funny one was when Ranch Boss was checking out hearing aids, and I got ads for them... Now that makes you wonder