Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, April 22, 2015

going to the sweaty place in creativity

When I bring out a new book, it's an edgy time. In the midst of writing one also can be, as it's when the inner critic is most active. When I see a review that slams my work, when a book is returned with no explanation, I feel the mix of pain and joy at stepping into the arena as Brown discusses in the video below. 

She had a quote that she said changed her life. It's a powerful one for all of those taking the risk of being out there in whatever way.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”   Theodore Roosevelt  
In changing the purposes for my blogs, here is going be the place to deal with the whole experience of creativity-- as it is for me. There are plenty of places readers can find words only of encouragement and blogs that speak of things that readers want to hear-- pretty pictures and words. While I am not much on whining as a positive thing, I am going to make this a place for the dark and light side of creativity. For me, there are wonderful times of light but equally there are times where nothing is going right.

Currently I am deeply into the fifth Arizona historical (over half way to where I want it to go). Oh no, it isn't working. It doesn't have value. It won't fit the other stories. I lost my place. Equally there are times, where the words are flowing and hitting the sweet spot. I think euphoria and doubt both belong to creating anything that goes beyond following a formula.

Serendipity is a word I like (happenstance leading to convenient occurrences). I would call another writer recently sharing the video below to be serendipitous. The things Brené Brown discusses, I have felt over and over and not just with writing. If you are a creative person, and stepping into the arena where you are vulnerable, or on the other hand, if you haven't let your creative side free, because you don't believe you can handle criticism and rejection, either way, give yourself that twenty minutes. You won't regret it.

 

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I am 80% into the first draft of my short story. What a lot of work! I like it, but many days I feel I am losing my way.

Rain Trueax said...

I think that's to be expected, Tabor. You know, with the ePub world people publish short stories. They usually sell them for 99¢. But the other option is you put several into an anthology and sell that accordingly. Of course, short stories can be submitted to magazines too. The thing is doing it. The doubts just go with the territory ;)