Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, August 13, 2012

mountain lions and wolves

Because nature fascinates me and predators especially of interest, I thought this article might interest other readers. I had never heard of this happening, but it makes sense as wolves kill coyotes. So it's not as though predators won't attack each other-- when either their food supply is threatened or/and they believe they can win.



People often make the mistake of painting predators as superior in motivations to say humans. They might be less complex in their motives, because they have more problems in getting food which keeps them down to basics (and their breeding is more seasonal and biological with less emotion-- we think), but superior? Not so much. We are all just animals in the end. We do what we do because we feel it will benefit us. Humans can operate a little further out there for what we think that will be but often we are shortsighted and base in our motives. Because we have a more complex language, we just paint ourselves loftier.

Going along with this, before I had a chance to publish, came the following story which led eventually to the killing of the cougar as it simply approached too close to too many humans with no fear. Cougars can be quite curious and innocent in that curiosity and then again they are predators who must kill to live.

4 comments:

Darlene said...

Nature is geared to the survival of the fittest and must have both predators and prey.

I am squeamish and don't like to see it happening though. I avoid nature shows for that reason.

Rain Trueax said...

I avoid nature shows also for the same reason. I bought something some time back about nature with a series around the world and was horrified that the main films seemed to be about one animal killing another. I wonder if it's actually intended to desensitize us. We as humans shouldn't relish watching what one creature can do to another-- should we?

Hattie said...

Like you, the older I get the more important nature becomes to me.
To me it's the way the beauty of natural things sustains me, not the "tooth and claw" stuff.

joared said...

They've been venturing down into the foothills in communities along the way into L.A. including where I live. Bears, too. They tranquilize them, haul them back into the mountains after collaring them. Currently they've just discovered a mtn lion in a small area compared to the size range they need and are wondering how he got past the fwys, etc. obstacle course. He's in Griffith Park where the famed observatory is (featured in East of Eden.)