Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pineapple Express

When temperatures turn abruptly warm up here (for a winter) and then a storm with a lot of rain arrives from the south, we call it a Pineapple Express. So in hours, my part of the country has gone from this--
to this
and this (latest photo of the barn when it's too dark for photos would show the creek right below it-- as in two feet below it).
Our creek is obviously way over its banks which is no big surprise as are many other rivers in the Willamette Valley with more heavy rains due.
The question is where is this storm heading and how high will our creek be before it's over?
 The garden is likewise drowned as water runs off the fields.

Definitely makes for interesting weather. The only thing good I can say about it is-- I have had a miserable cold where I don't feel like doing a lot anyway. Well, the creek had been pretty low; fortunately leaving it a lot of space to absorb more water-- for awhile.

8 comments:

Taradharma said...

wow -- big change in your weather! Is the house safe from flooding?

Sorry to hear you have a cold...I'm feeling something come on in my sinuses this morning. Ack! Out! Damned cold!

Annie said...

Oh my goodness, we are in the same boat, thousands of miles apart! Can't talk about Pineapple Expresses here but it's the same thing, we get snow, rain, freezing, snow, rain, freezing... Today it's freezing here so instead of great puddles in my yard I have great ice patches. Yesterday it was sunny warm take-off-your-jacket weather, and tomorrow it is forecast to pop back to warm with a dusting of snow.

And the never-ending cold of the upper respiratory type! Gaaah!! People tell me it is the up-and-down temperatures that cause it and I am a believer now. Cough cough snuffle snuffle... mulled cider on the woodstove is the only saving grace

Rain Trueax said...

You sound like me, Annie *snuffle, snark, cough, sniffle, repeat*.

On the flooding, our house is not in danger and isn't likely to be this year because there wasn't the heavy snowfall for days ahead of this. The roads though will make travel a challenge through today probably before it settles back down... hopefully.

Rain Trueax said...

I should add when we made the drive over Tombstone and then Santiam Pass to go to Central Oregon, the temperatures at the pass were in the low 50s. Likewise same over in Bend that day. This is really peculiar as we had left freezing temps at home in the valley; so the air up high was much warmer even then than down low. That happens but rarely in the winter. It's making it tough for the ski industry this year.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hope you will be feeling better very soon, my dear---these lingering colds can be so damn debillitating...!
Your weather sounds bizarre....Those pictures are quite amazing, Rain....I am glad to read your house is not in danger...And I hope that continues to be the case. I guess all you can do is hunker down in the warmth of your house and read and watch some films....!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of rain, rain. I remember when the pineapple express would charge through the central coast of California. Wave after wave of warm, wet weather from the pacific. It does quench the earth, but often in doses that are a bit overwhelming. Hope it all goes well. And I hope you start feeling better soon.

MaryContrary said...

I know exactly where your Pineapple Express will wind up. Our weather people have predicted several bouts of snow as that system cools down and dumps over us. I won't complain (much) because to date our winter has been very mild. Hope that creek goes down soon.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Is your rock garden under water?