Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Marketing-- 'From Here to There'

Whatever you do in life, you are involved with marketing if you expect to get money for it. Sometimes you are marketing yourself, sometimes a product, sometimes something someone else made. The exchange of labor for money or some object of value is about marketing. Most of the time people forget that as a regular job can seem as though it's not involved with that-- right up until the company downsizes, and you realize if you can't convince them you are contributing something of value, you are done for.

Now I knew when I got into eBooks that it would involve marketing them myself. There is no publishing house behind me to do it. I did not come in through an organization like Smashwords which has a marketing arm that can help with many aspects of getting the books out because they have been paid to do it. Many such companies have motivation as they receive a percentage of whatever the book gets.

So this has been a learning experience to say the least (although we run into marketing problems with our beef and lamb too). I'm still in the process of learning more ways to reach possible readers with these books-- some seem to work for me and some not so much.

One thing my publisher (Farm Boss) and I opted to do is put one of my books into what Amazon calls Prime which means someone can rent them for free with it being possible to rent one book a month for a yearly fee which also enables the user to access streaming of DVDs.

I did this not because I thought my books would particularly attract renters that way. I pretty well figured those renters would opt for more expensive books than mine, but it enabled some other promotional features-- the main one being free days which don't involve being in Prime or paying any money. In short, $0.00 purchase for the reader. So we finally figured out how to use that feature (we being him), and I wanted readers here to know ahead of time in case they'd like to try out one of my books (which I consider to be a hybrid between romance, suspense, pop fiction, with sometimes a western or metaphysical topic) without any cost to themselves.

If you don't have an eReader, you can still read any of the Kindles by adding a free app to your computer and reading it there. Anyway on January 26-27, 2012, From Here to There will be available free by going to the link below. Always be sure when you do that with any special offer that the price is correct before you push click for purchase.


More about this contemporary story, set in the west, is on blogs- Rain Trueax and From Here to There.

If you have been curious about what it's like to read a book this way, have wondered what I mean about my indie (what they call books not coming through a publisher) romances that are but aren't just romances, you can give it a try for free on Thursday or Friday.

11 comments:

Tabor said...

I have just put three new books on my Kindle...but I must try reading yours soon. Teenagers learn marketing because they are always trying to get their parents to say yes to so many things

Rain Trueax said...

I can't count the book I have on mine that I saw on sale or learned about through my trying to figure out the Amazon system. When I am through editing my own, then I'll get to them. What has amazed me is I edited all of these last summer and into the fall. I thought it was done. Then saw some mistakes on one which has led to re-editing all of them. I'm down to two left to go if I don't count the historicals which I won't as they aren't going onto eBooks until I see how this works out with the contemporaries. it has been quite a learning experience which I write more about in the blog about them-- romance with an edge. It's rather like starting to swim and you just do it but you learn more about how as you go.

Kay Dennison said...

I've got to get a bit more organized and I hope to be reading your book soon!!! I know it will be great!!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think it is great, that you can bring your books to the attention of the public this way. I am sooo behind, Techie-Wise (lol)....I don't own a Kindle or any other device like it, but, who knows....I may some day....!
I wish you much Good Luck, Rain.

Snowbrush said...

Well, good luck with that. I don't quite get how you make money that way, but I'm no doubt missing something.

Rain Trueax said...

You are right, Snowbrush. You don't make money on those. The theory is you give away a few books to let people find you because you are competing in a world where there are millions, many published authors, and you have to find a way to get people to try your books. Now whether this works, the giveaway time, I do not know.

I've been reading a lot right now about marketing particularly in the Amazon forums. I will write more about that for the benefit of others who might like to try indie publishing.

Rain Trueax said...

There is another plus for the writer that goes beyond money. It lets a reader try a type of book they might have never given a look without being upset they put out money. What I write is really a hybridized romance which means romance readers might not even like it. I'd rather only people read them who liked what they read. So to give a free sample in one book is a plus for me. If they do like it, they might try others. And I have nine more of those hybrids :)

Dick said...

Well, I'd go get it for free but I already bought it on Christmas Day! Haven't read it yet but should get there soon. I did enjoy the first of yours that I read, "Desert Inferno." I probably wouldn't much care for the normal romance genre but your version, I did like.

Rain Trueax said...

If all goes well, there will be two new ones out soon, Dick. One on inner city schools and yes a hybrid romance. The other on cults. Both based in Oregon. Unless I put a book into the Select program, I can't easily do the give-aways. We'll see if that one helps with sales, but s lot of books (as in over a thousand to date) were given away and that pleased Farm Boss and me :) But I got to admit, it'd have been nice if they had been sales-- but this is a baby step thing with trying this or that to see what works for getting people to see the books-- Hopefully to then like them :)

I though have very much appreciated the encouragement you have given me not only by your purchases but your review :)

Snowbrush said...

A lot of Westerns are what you're referring to as "hybridized romances." Currently, I'm on Zane Gray's "Thunder Mountain," and it's very much that way.

Rain Trueax said...

I love Zane Grey for that. I grew up basically on his writing as did many romance authors. I have everything he wrote but added collections of his work to my Kindle almost as soon as I got it. Unfortunately they didn't have some of my favorites of his stories on there but I have them in paperback that are so old and tattered that I almost hate to read them for damaging them. My daughter got a collection of the originals with their covers as an inheritance from one of her husband's uncles. It's fantastic for those illustrations. I bought several of mine at his cabin in Arizona before it burned in the big fire. I was there again, at the site where it had been, in May of last year :) They have built a replica of the cabin in Payson but I didn't go into it as it's not the same but it was a duplicate. I am just glad I got to be in it before it was lost.