Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, December 11, 2011

Under the Greenwood Tree

Possibly because of all the turmoil we are experiencing in the world, maybe because I can, thanks to Netflix, I have been watching a lot of period dramas especially those put out originally by BBC, A&E, or one of the major film studios. Sometimes I watch the same drama by every possible producer just to see the difference in techniques and ideas for bringing the stories to life.

Some stories are such classics like Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, or The Scarlett Pimpernel, that you can find them done in different eras with the adjustments that the producers and directors see would be preferred by the modern culture.  As best I know it, I have seen every version of all of Jane Austen's stories.

Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre was recently turned out again by a big studio and I have now seen every version of Jane Eyre that has been made. There are a lot of them. The best, by the way, are those done as miniseries because it's such a complex story to turn out in two hours. A miniseries can take its time and flesh out the nuances, tone and shadows.

There is one of these old classics I have deliberately skipped but might give it a try, or at least the newest version, and that's Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I have only seen it with Sir Lawrence Olivier. The problem I have with it seems to be a difficult story to want to view or to spend time but maybe my view of it will have changed with my age.  I have mentioned before that I don't like tragedies. I see too many of those in real life.

This last week we worked our way through one of those period dramas, a miniseries, George Eliot's Middlemarch which although not exactly upbeat in the characters and events, is certainly an excellent story about how we can create illusions that ruin our lives, how money is both used to control and the lack of good sense regarding it can ruin a life. The characters really are fleshed out and it brings the viewer to that time and how people often do react in good or bad ways.

There is one though that as far as I know has only been done once and it might be my very favorite-- Thomas Hardy's Under the Greenwood Tree. It is also the only one of these films based on a book written by a male. When I began watching it (rented it through Netflix taking a chance as I didn't know the story), I thought uh oh. This is Thomas Hardy. Will I regret renting it? I not only did not, I happily ordered it to have my own copy for whenever I want to return to Mellstock and more time with Dick Dewy, Reverend Maybold, Farmer Shiner, Fancy Day, and all the delightful secondary characters.


Under the Greenwood Tree is a romance but also a story about motivations, Victorian England where the mores were strict for what was right to do, and about social interactions where people must find their self-worth. It is very well-acted. The side characters are as much fun as the four main protagonists as Fancy must choose between three very different men. Will she make the right choice? Well that's why someone watches such a story, to find out.

I do think there is value in watching these stories of earlier times where often people did wrestle with the same problems we do today. Life has changed a lot but human interactions sometimes not so much.

10 comments:

Tabor said...

I also love that genre and watch much of it when I can. Do you ever re-read those books. I have not, and I really think I would like to.

Rain Trueax said...

I've been wrapped up in research when I read anything right now; but I bought some Thomas Hardy for the Nook. I already had key Jane Austen books. One thing about the Kindles and Nooks-- the old classics are often quite inexpensive although I have learned you want easy to navigate or they aren't worth a cheaper price.

I usually like to watch the extra features to see if there are any small documentaries on the making of the films, how they chose who they did, etc etc. In Under the Greenwood Tree, the features were real good that way as they discussed how they found their locale for filming. They also discussed changing the point of view from Dick Dewy's (the books perspective) to revolve instead around Fancy Day. They did such an excellent job in casting their film something of which I haven't always agreed in the books.

I liked the more recent mini-series best of the many Jane Eyres, but the even more recent film was good. I disliked intensely one of the earlier choices for Rochester (Might as well say it was Timothy Dalton because he is many people's top choice but I felt he overacted it and didn't develop my sympathy even though he was quite pretty to watch). You know that whole story really revolves around making Rochester an exciting man but also sympathetic because if he is not, the whole motivation falls apart for the viewer.

Watching all of these though has not only been relaxing but definitely led to getting the books for the Nook or Kindle.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE all these "period" mini series---the BBC ones, particularly---I am unfamiliar with this one and I am putting on my Netflix Queue, as soon as I leave here.....THANKS so much, Rain---Always good to discover a new unseen series.

Paul said...

I love period pieces too Rain. Last night I watched "Back to Bataan" starring John Wayne. It reminds me of the price we all paid in WWII...

Rubye Jack said...

Wuthering Heights has always been my favorite. I re-read it not too long ago and was in aw of Emily Bronte's prose. I don't care much for the movie however.

Taradharma said...

oh, thank you for the movie recommendation. High praise indeed. It is amazing how, in matters of the human heart, very little has changed. We are not so modern as we think.

Ingineer66 said...

I am going to have to take a dissenting opinion. Wuthering Heights is not a good book and I could only take a few minutes of the movie. There are easily 1000 books that would be a better use of time.

Paul I saw that Back to Bataan was on when I was flipping channels but wasn't in the mood. Sounds like I missed something worth watching.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I haven't forgotten you, dear Rain. I've just been so wrapped up in Rebecca's A Virgin a Day posts. Thanks for visiting a few times. I appreciate it. I'll keep your recommendations in mind, although I've got a problem with my iTV device where I stream Netflix. We lost power a week ago and being a non-Geek, it needs some kind of tweaking. I've left word on my Mac Users list and hopefully someone will come to the rescue.

Tabor said...

Thanks for you lengthy comment. You are a dear. I replied on my blog...but the gist is you are correct but I may or may not do a blog on this. Writing in MSWord on the laptop now. Need to remember to back up somewhere though...that may be the perfect place for a blog that no one can access, yet!

Rain Trueax said...

Get a jump drive. I back up everything on at least one of them and sometimes two. I trust computers, even newer ones like my current one, very little for something that is so hard to often duplicate as it came out originally if it all falls apart. And good luck with it :)