Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, August 19, 2011

The question driven life

My writing here has been thin, very thin because my mind isn't working this way, but my reading is all over the map. I particularly liked this article by Richard Brooks in the New York Times on a man and the family that grew him. Genetics or environment to create this kind of person?


It's how I like the idea of living and do to the very best of my ability. I do not have all the answers and am not driven to prove I do.  The ones I have today might turn out to not be ones for tomorrow. I like that idea which probably says something about the woman that I am.

At this point in my life, I live fully, sometimes joyfully and sometimes sorrowfully, with those answers I do have. To wait for the forever answer would for me mean not fully living.

All my life I have loved questions, both asking and being asked them, and hope my own life never runs out of them. It is not that I don't want the definitive answer to say life; but it's that I have seen in my almost 68 years, that what it seemed to be this year may not be what it seems to be next year. Viva Life!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm the same way. Although there may not be an answer, I still want to ask the question. I'm interested in politics not so much because I'm liberal or conservative but because I want to peek behind the curtain to see who's pulling the levers. I'm interested in religion because I feel there is more to reality than what we perceive with our senses. It's a life long inquiry, but what a sad life it would be without curiosity. When I die I want these words on my head stone: "What was that all about?"

Tabor said...

I do think that environment and culture can change the basic building blocks we are given only so far. We are what we are.

Anonymous said...

One hopes that no one pretends to have all of the answers.
Cop Car
P.S. Although...with some politicians....

Kay Dennison said...

I am a born questioner and I think it's sort of a family trait. I remember when my little sister was about four and was driving our mom nuts with many questions and Mom said, "Why do you ask so many questions?" And Debbie replied, "If I don't ask questions, how will I learn anything?" Mom was speechless.

I've long contended that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask 'cause that's the one that usually gets you in trouble.

And yeah, I love Wally's idea for his headstone and share Cop Car's comment.

Paul said...

Life is long division. You just keep dividing. At some point questions become irrelevant, or redundant, and silence provides the answer we seek.

Rain Trueax said...

Sounds somewhat Buddhist, Paul, although Christianity has a wing like it also where you cannot dare question or it shows a lack of faith.

Personally I like questions. I like knowing I won't ever know it all but that I can keep learning my entire life. I don't find questions uncomfortable and like best to be around people who not only also have them but those who are open to asking and hearing them without it being threatening. To me that's perfect. I am not uncomfortable that there are some that may have no answers.

Darlene said...

I believe that when you stop questioning and learning you may as well be dead.

Change is constant and it behooves us to keep up with the times. I am still amazed at how much I don't know and have yet to learn.

Ingineer66 said...

I am a very curious person. I learn something new almost every day and I am constantly asking questions. They are not always crucial questions, but more general knowledge type stuff.

Ingineer66 said...

ps Speaking of being curious about why things happen, I noticed in the article you linked that he refers to the baby with feminine pronouns. That was second article I read this week that did that. Was there a memo sent out to all journalists to use feminine pronouns instead of masculine? I guess that fact that women already run the world, doesn't matter, we can't even let men think they do any more.

Rain Trueax said...

You must ask your wife about that as to who runs the world? *s*

Frankly joking or not, it seems to me men still control most of the power positions...