Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Friday, June 17, 2011

Flowers


Because I had showed some of the other parts of our June yard, I felt I couldn't ignore the rest.

Then, how could I not photograph again my rosemary which has to be one of my favorite plants, plus whatever else attracted my camera.


The bench I am sitting on below is made from big stone slabs that came from an original rock wall on this property, which had been part of the foundation for the original farmhouse before that, and that we dismantled a few years ago to put the rocks strategic places around the farm. We created the bench and then when I lost my little pal, Persia, we buried her beside it. I couldn't bear to put her way out under the oaks when for so many years she'd been near me wherever I was.


It's a late year for flowers and our roses have yet to go beyond buds, but it looks like summer is going to come when the calendar claims... maybe. Given the heat, gigantic storms, and horrendous fires elsewhere, I won't be complaining about our weather whatever the case.


Usually these rhododendrons would already be done blooming and not just in full flower. Some were here when we bought the farm which means shrubs over 30 years old, kind of amazing to me. The sheep have done a bonsai number on them this year. They would be poisonous to cattle but sheep can browse a lot of things. We will have to fence some of them off to prevent further desecration; but when I saw the shrubs in the Japanese and Chinese gardens, I thought possibly the sheep might want to charge us.


10 comments:

joared said...

Lovely blooms and photos!

Paul said...

God bless Persia...

Robert the Skeptic said...

There is something magical about flowers, even for us guys.

MandT said...

What a joy are gardens! Nice job...

Taradharma said...

beautiful flowers!

The bums and I took a morning hike today and there are all kinds of little forest flowers that are miniature versions of daisies and lillies. I may just post them when I get around to it.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

This has been a most interesting year for some flowers. They are the best.

Joy Des Jardins said...

My God these flowers are beautiful...I so appreciate gorgeous blossoms like these. I wish I had a lot more in my yard. Love your photos Rain.

Darlene said...

I love, love, love rhododendrons. Your photos are just beautiful, as always.

You know it's too hot for most flowers in Arizona and that's my only complaint about living here. My crepe myrtle can take the heat and the cold so it survived both this year, but my succulents didn't even have a chance to bloom.

Sadly, I am having to resort to artificial flowers for color.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I just love your yard and it's good to see you on your bench in the garden.

Anonymous said...

Old foundation stones are wonderful materials from which to construct garden walls or benches. Well done!

The flower photos are outstanding!
Cop Car