Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Country Woman


For someone raised differently than me, their idea of a wonderful way to live will likely be different also. Some people have a childhood such that they can hardly wait to escape it, but I consider mine a rare gift of experiences and nurturing by the land that has colored my entire life. Are there more perfect ways to grow up, possibly, but not for me.


I grew up on the edge of wilderness, in a home at the end of a dead-end road. Beyond us was nothing much for many many miles unless Bigfoot really lived there.


When I had to leave there, I was not a happy young woman, but the land belonged to my parents. They needed to move and so goes life. When I got to a point of establishing my own home, my goal was to find that place again. Of course, you never really can; but I do live in the hills, where there aren't many people until you get to the ocean. I live daily all the pluses and minuses that are part of such a life.


One of the pluses are the wildflowers in the spring. Now a lot of the ones in these photos should have come earlier but this year, they are blooming their heart out on the edge of summer. They yield a beauty really beyond measure and it's hard not to be caught by them with any trip to town.




These photos from June 26th are from our own gravel road, the edge of our farm, wild roses, foxglove, columbine, daisies, and one I don't know. Why they need a name I am not sure as it's their beauty that is part of what makes me glad I live in the country. Oh I could come out here on a drive and see them, but these are mine in a way that I'd never know if I did that.


Incidentally, this is Farm Boss's 68th birthday.
Happy Birthday!

9 comments:

Annie said...

Happy Birthday to Farm Boss

What a lovely piece of land you live on, thanks for wildflower photos

Celia said...

Love seeing people work their dreams into reality. Also Happy birthday to Farm Boss.

Paul said...

Happy birthday FB...:-)

mandt said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Boss! I understand your love of country Rain. I spent my earliest childhood years growing up in ranch and farm country of Wyoming and Nebraska, Then the mountains of Colorado, before my family moved to San Francisco. I've lived in cities all over the world and thrilled at the explorations of those places, but at heart the memories of childhood days in the country always remain the base. I now live in tiny country town in Northern California and couldn't be happier. peace, m

Kay Dennison said...

Happy Birthday, Farm Boss!

You are so blessed to have your very own Eden!

Taradharma said...

you are indeed a country woman, heart and soul, Rain. The photos are beautiful -- just love all those flowers.

Happy Birthday, FB!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I'm picturing little rain loving where you lived and reconstructing that with farm boss and your kids. I love to visit tucked away places but I'm a burbs kind of gal, I guess. Happy birthday to farm boss.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Farm Boss, and congratulations on your beautiful photos, Rain.

Flowers/trees/etc wouldn't need names if we didn't need to tell other people what we saw/did!

I'm happy that you are living your dream.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

A belated happy birthday to Farm Boss. Yes, to the wildflowers of spring. I've been photographing them here, but have not gotten around to looking at them or posting them. A pleasure it is to see yours!