Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, April 04, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor the woman



Beings I was born in 1943, I grew up in the era where there were still movie star magazines. They were called things like Photoplay and confidential something or other. They ran the gamut from scandal sheets to publicity stills the studios wanted out. My aunt subscribed to some of them which were handed off to me when she'd finish them. I absolutely loved the stories, the photos, the glamor even if it was posed. Some of the magazines sought the star missteps (if the studios couldn't buy off the reporters) but this was before hoards of paparazzi became so much a factor in revealing every misstep or suggestion of cellulite.

Those were the days when most of the movies on television were late night fare and began after the late evening news-- before Jack Parr and then Johnny Carson changed nighttime network television forever. I saw so many movies that way-- many with Elizabeth Taylor. One of my favorites from when she was young was Elephant Walk which isn't really all that talked about when considering her big films. I liked her character in that film and the complexity it revealed about life and our choices. She was so beautiful but then she always was for her whole life and frankly I don't think she had surgeries to do it. It didn't look like she had.

My experience with glamor was not in my personal life, growing up on a farm, but from stories from my parents' lives (they did have more 'glamorous lives before children and farms), old movies, and those magazines. Elizabeth Taylor was a part of the last two. I grew up knowing about her life on a movie star magazine level. She seemed much older than me and only later did I realize she was only 12 years older which seems like nothing now.

Except it was a lot given the differences between our life experiences-- mine being very sheltered and hers out in the world where she was a movie star from childhood. Everything about her was bigger than life. She was, however, a prime example of those to whom much is given much will be asked.

There were marriages that didn't work out. One that seemed it had; then her husband was killed and the public grieved with the young widow who would birth his child only after his death. Then came the first scandal. How could she take that innocent young woman's husband? Oh wait, Elizabeth nearly died, all is forgiven. Oh wait, another husband into her snare or was it her into his? Not forgive. Forgiven. Interest through it all never died.

Personally I found her more interesting as her life appeared more complex. It didn't make me angry that she took another woman's husband. First I wasn't that sure a woman could do that without the man being in on the deal. Second, I was high on the idea of the kind of love that broke all the rules.

Most of what fascinated me weren't the stories about a movie star. They weren't about her extreme wealth and all that jewelry. They were about a life and how it was being lived to the hilt on every level. And that is the appeal of it today. The fancy photos around a swimming pool, pfffft, but a woman who lives life fully, with no apologies, now that's a story worth following and many of us did right to the end.


A line from that article, one said by Taylor, probably puts best what I felt about her and that love affair with Burton, a love affair that never ended even though they really couldn't work out the happily ever after part. Capote was tying it together from an earlier time before she had met Burton where she had told him she wondered what she would find, what was waiting out there that would change her whole life.

This meeting with Capote came after she had been married to Burton about five or six years. She knew how it was with him, the good and the bad. She also knew he had fulfilled that question she had asked. She said--
“Well, what do you think?” But it was a question with an answer already prepared. “What do you suppose will become of us? I guess, when you find what you’ve always wanted, that’s not where the beginning begins, that’s where the end starts.”
Great love affairs are often not really happy ones, at least not of the happily ever after sort. I can think of many such examples, but Burton and Taylor, well it's the one that fascinates still.

The end of their physical relationship wasn't the end of their love nor of her passionate approach to life. Not for Elizabeth would be sitting in shrouds and waiting for the end. She went on with a continued desire to practice her art, nurture her children, her pets, work on causes that mattered to the world, like recognition of AIDS, take risks in life and love, and continue to love him to the end as he apparently would her. Perhaps that love affair, those fiery years with him, perhaps those were the fuel for the rest.

To me, above all the rest, was that woman who gave it all up for love but didn't let it ruin her life and was willing to walk away when it wasn't healthy. That is such a life example. She was capable of risking it all to reach out but also to know when to let it go. That's the woman I find most fascinating.

12 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am about 8 months older than Elizabeth Taylor and always felt a kind of kinship with here--I canot explain that but, that was how I felt---I remember when Mike Todd died in that plabe crash--it was horrendous! And indeed, we all did mourn with her....I think what you said is so true Rain....She was such an interesting woman on so many levels---but the core of that was, that she was always herself. She had integrity and ideals and she cared deeply about many important things. Her speaking up about AIDS at the time she did, truly changed the face of that disease. She was brave and loyal and the few people that I know who actually knew her, have nothing but GOOD things to say about her.

I remember the Movie Magazines before there were any scandal-type 'Confidential' type rags---Modern Screen and Photoplay were the Biggies...And everything one read in these magazines came out of the Studio System Publicity Machine...The photographs and all the text, too...It made all the stars seem wonderful in every way....it was only later---after the end of the Studio System that the Studios lost control of 'the story'...That Elizabeth Taylor survived both eras---especially the scandal sheet paparazzi era, was a miracle. She always remained herself, through it all. She personified "This above all, to thine own self be true..."
BLESS HER!

Annie said...

Very interesting, I've never really known what to make of her.

Kay Dennison said...

I loved Liz Taylor -- she was the epitome of glamour for me when I was growing up.

Joy Des Jardins said...

So beautiful all her life....she really was a fascinating woman in my eyes. Even through some of the quirky and strange things that happened in her life...I always admired her grit and honesty. She was always Elizabeth.

Anonymous said...

Rain--Though there is only 5 years' difference in age between us, we grew up in distinctly different atmospheres. To see a movie magazine (or TV, for that matter), I had to go to the home of someone who was not related to me. The people who had such magazines and TV were usually the ones who were "sinful" enough to smoke and drink beer - even the women. My, my!
Butterfield 8 and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf were the movies with the best roles for Ms Taylor, in my view.
Thanks for the memories.
Cop Car

Robert the Skeptic said...

Maybe I am the exception, but I have never really been interested in the lifestyles and happenings of celebrities.

Rain Trueax said...

I am interested in how people live their lives and that information is mostly available for celebrities, writers, musicians, artists, and entertainers. They have more opportunity to live it 'bigger' based on economics or maybe the creative aspect to what they do.

Anonymous said...

I think you have a great page here… today was my first time coming here.. I just happened to find it doing a google search. anyway, good post.. I’ll be bookmarking this page for sure.

Ardi said...

While in Puerta Vallarta last year we walked up, with the help of a young boy as a guide, to where Elizabeth and Richard had their homes. They were built across the street from each other - they were both married to othr people at the time - but they had a "love bridge" built over the street between them. The bridge is still there, still a touch of pinkish paint on it. Elizabeth's house has been torn down and condos are being built on the site, but Richard's home is still there. Her house was called Casa Kim.

Paul said...

I actually caught a glimpse of Elizabeth Taylor once. What a beautiful woman. I loved her chutpah. She had cajones.

sonia a. mascaro said...

I like so much Elizabeth Taylor. Love her film Butterfield 8, a 1960 drama directed by Daniel Mann, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Laurence Harvey. Elizabeth Taylor, with 28 years old, won an Academy Award for her performance.
I would love to see again this film...
Thanks for this post!

Brig said...

I never was much of celebrity follower, but have thought that how people live their lives is interesting.
Liz's favorite movie for me will always be Giant, probably because I was ranch raised, and the characters live on...