Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, March 06, 2011

A Matter of Life and Death

Sometimes when I am talking to a friend or reading a comment from someone here, I get a tip for a movie to order from Netflix. That happened when I did a recent review of a movie I absolutely hated about the mysteries of life.

Naomi, who writes the blog Sittin' in the Hills, put in a comment and said to give a try to a 1946 film starring David Niven and Kim Hunter on the same general subject. She was oh so right about 'A Matter of Life and Death' which in this country has also been called 'Stairway to Heaven.'

The story is a bit of a mystery about what is really happening. When you begin, assume nothing. It is all put together in such a way that the viewer goes along for a very enjoyable exploration of what is real and what might not be.

The blurb from Netflix says:
Royal Air Force pilot Peter Carter (David Niven) is forced to jump out of his plane without a parachute only to wake up alive and unharmed due to a heavenly mishap. He must then stand before God (Abraham Sofaer) to plead his case for a second chance at life. Kim Hunter co-stars as June, an American operator with whom Peter has fallen in love, in this British romantic fantasy by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger.
The plot is not simple for what might be fact as it explores not only love, the mysteries of heaven but also a historical look at British and American relationships to each other and to the worl. I really do think anybody who sees it will not only enjoy the film but take away with them some things to think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting film. I'll head over to Netflix to put it in my queue.

Paul said...

Rain I am a David Niven fan so I shall have to check out this movie. I am a classic movie buff as you know. TCM and all that. I recently saw him in "Around the World in Eighty Days" - fine film ! :-)

Celia said...

Into my queue it goes. David Niven was always a favorite of mine.

mandt said...

You might like the movie 'Departures' from Netflick.

Psychic fair said...

This blog is highly informatics, crisp and clear. Here everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. This is one of the best blogs I have read. For more info visit us http://www.noorcoffeereader.com

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, Rain...so glad you liked STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN...(It will always be that to me because that was the name when I saw it in 1946-47....)
One always takes a chance recommending a film, but in truth, I felt this picture was such an interesting film and the two Directors such talented men that there would be something in the film that one could come away with....I actually saw it again, not that long ago--On TCM I think, a number of months ago....As always, I was impressed with the Beauty of the film---so imaginative and so beauthifully filmed....!