Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Sunday, March 20, 2011

Crow moon


Because we had gotten a pretty nice set of full moon photos Friday night, because it was sooooo cold outside, I decided it'd be silly to go outside again just because the moon was 'actually' full. How much difference could there be in the photos, right? We settled down to watch a video although I kept one eye on the moon as it came up through the firs.

On an impulse, since I've been doing that sketch a day thing, and because I had told Parapluie that it didn't make much sense to draw this particular moon because anybody could make a moon bigger anytime, I got out my ink pens (by now it's Sharpie fine and medium) and began to draw it as it came up through the firs.


Watching it rise like that was a mistake. When I saw it in all its awesomeness (favorite Jack Black word from the kid movie, Kung Fun Panda which we weren't watching mainly because we loaned it to our grandsons), I knew we (note the we part) had to go out again.

We had left the camera on the tripod. Farm Boss took a series of photos of which I liked three best. If you enlarge the first and last ones, you can see the craters. We were by then using the largest telephoto.


The sky was very clear last night with a few clouds drifting around but the stars and moon were sharp. Every time I am out in the night like that, when I actually can see so many stars, so clear and sharp, I think I should learn their names. I never have but it's not too late. When Farm Boss and I were first dating, we'd go out to a big farm where he worked and we'd lie in the grass and look up at the stars and he knew some of their names, the constellations. I was impressed. He still knows them and I still don't.

I only know a couple of the planets when I see them and regularly determine that I will change that and learn the names of at least the closest stars to us and which stars make up which constellations. I've bought several books with that intention in mind. Except you know the sky moves around... Actually we do but anyway the end result complicates it as I can't just learn one sky pattern. I have to learn it for different seasons. Right then and there it gets into the too much information category.

If we got a hot tub again maybe I would spend more time learning which one is which as this time we want to get it to be out in the open, not under the oak trees. (that was such a mistake when the raindrops fell off the limbs right onto us, not like a gentle rain at all but like a plop plop plop and there's way too much rain in the Pacific Northwest to not take that into account in positioning a hot tub).


Back to the subject, this is the moon the Farmer's Almanac calls the Worm moon because the worms are beginning to come up and make tracks on the ground. Also known as the Lenten moon to Christians. Or the Sap moon to those who tap maple trees for syrup. But I prefer one of the names the Native Americans used-- the Crow Moon when the cawing of the crows signaled the end of winter.

11 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I like your drawings for giving an impression of the true lighting. Somehow the photographs are taken time laps and the lighting around the moon looks black and it is not. I like the photos for the detail and they communicate emotion.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful images, rain.

Kay Dennison said...

I love this !!!! Living in the city I don't really get to see the moon much!!!

Tabor said...

What a lovely post. I also like the crow moon and have never heard that!

Rain Trueax said...

That is the challenge of the photograph, Parapluie, the thing that always brings me back to trying again for that perfect shot. It's hard to get it to visually be what the eye sees. I could have lightened the background and pasted the moon over it. I thought i would until I saw the one with the 400mm telephoto and liked the feel of it, especially liked how the craters at the top showed up in it when I couldn't see them with my naked eye. Paintings, drawings or photographs, none of them really match what we can see although if an artist gets lucky or has a gift, they can capture the 'feel' of it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rain! I enjoy seeing these new sketches. I'm visiting Parapluie's blog, too. Thanks to both of you for sharing your art with us. - Julie

Mike McLaren said...

We had clear skies Friday, but not last night. I got to see the Crow Moon only through a layer of shimmering rain... though the strands of light through the creases and folds of the clouds painted a breathtaking sky.

Celia said...

We got an astoundingly good look at the moon last night, many folks taking pictures on our block. Your photos are by far the most striking.

Annie said...

Crow Moon, that's a good one. I've been hearing the crows a lot lately too. Must be spring :-))

Nice photos, and sketches. I love Kung Fu Panda too.

la peregrina said...

I see the moon
And the moon see me,
God bless the moon,
And God bless me.


Love your photos, Rain. I missed this moon rising as it was cloudy here but around 2:30 AM I had to take the dog out and could not believe how light it was outside. I looked up and there was the super moon high above my head. Good thing for me the dog needed out or I would have missed it. :)

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

What gorgeous photos, Rain. I walked Mollie that night and kept my eye on that big old moon.