Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, November 08, 2010

eating right... or not


There are a couple of big issues that I have narrowed down as most impacting how I want to be and what's not working. The one I am thinking about right now is physical condition. Part of that is being overweight. I am, and have been for quite awhile, heavier than I should be. I also find myself too often not eating right or exercising enough. This impacts not just weight but cholesterol and could soon impact blood pressure if I don't get a handle on it.

Now I am not desiring to be slim again. I am not sure that's even possible. What I do want is to not have to be careful how I stand for a photograph or wear something that covers up the excess. I do not want to take medicine to lower my blood pressure unless I've tried everything else. I think my knee and hip joints would be happier with less weight pressing on them. I think this would take losing twenty pounds which is not all a chart might say I should lose but I'd be happy with that.

They say the worst thing you can do is to gain and lose weight; so any diet plan I come up with must be a way of eating with which I can live. I know what works short term to lose weight, but what good is that if I go back to eating the way I got into this position.

I read that the Mediterranean diet is one that lessens the risk of breast cancer and such information is always of interest to me. When I looked online for what that meant in diet, it does seem like something with which I could live (allowing for a little cheating now and again) Some of it I already do:
  1. High consumption of virgin olive oil.
  2. High intake of vegetables and fruits and legumes.
  3. Use of non refined carbohydrates (portions sized according to physical activity).
  4. Eating fish, specially oily (or “bluish” one) 3 or 4 times a week. This has to be watched also for it not being all fish at the top of the food chain or mercury will go too high and that's not good.
  5. Including milk, cheese or yogurt in the diet. Since I cannot do cow dairy, thanks to a skin allergy, I do seem able to eat goat and sheep cheese which I like. Rice milk lets me fix white sauces.
  6. Three or four eggs per week would be the toughest part of this as I love eggs for breakfast. Still I recently read that too many eggs makes someone more prone to develop adult diabetes; so maybe I must adjust this also. Eggs aren't actually bad for cholesterol as they have HDL and LDL which my doctor said balances out, but still moderation has to be the key and where it comes to eggs, my favorite food, moderation is not my middle name... well actually it's not with anything...
  7. Moderate consumption of meat and saturated fats. Where I eat mostly grassfed beef, when I have beef, this is healthier than it would be to buy the usual fatty stuff from the grocery store but even then too much meat doesn't set well with me.
  8. One or two small glasses of wine a day, preferably red and at the main meals. White wine and beer are alternatives.
  9. Nuts as snacks
I don't see myself dieting as it simply won't happen but I could see myself changing my diet to something I can live with permanently. I want to lose the weight I gained in the last ten years not go back twenty years. I am working on things to convince myself like writing about it here.

Besides watching what I eat, I should be doing more aerobic exercise and get back to walking as much as I did five years ago. Well maybe not that much which was around two miles a day (at a brisk rate) but even if I walk less, it has to be enough to increase my breathing and heart rate.

And here's the reason more than the weight loss-- [Forget thinner thighs-- new study on regular walking]. It's healthy emotionally and physically and I still haven't done as much of it this last year as I used to do. I could come up with a dozen excuses for why not. One thing I can say is everytime you let something like that go, at my age, the harder it is to get it back.

I know I could find more things to not like about my physical self right now. A lot though of what a beauty magazine would find fault with-- like fine facial lines, I am not unhappy about. They are indicators of the life I have led and it's not been sitting inside. (Recently I saw a movie (Letters to Juliet) where Vanessa Redgrave beautifully makes the case, just by how she looks for why lines aren't bad in an old woman.)

Realistically I don't want to try to change too many things as that won't make any of it happen. My goals are not just about losing some weight but about living a healthier lifestyle than I am currently doing. It won't be easy to change as I am definitely a woman of appetites...


Photos were both in Montana, up Rock Creek, in late September. We have seen the mountain sheep herd there quite often over the years. Recently I read that their numbers were severely thinned by disease going through the herds; so we were lucky to see them and looking so good.

The animals obviously have little fear of humans since hunting them is regulated and very limited. In another improvement since our last time there, the state has set aside a parking area and trail to walk into the habitat region to see them with their babies high on the rocks where they stay until the babies are big enough to run from predators. The trail is closed during the birthing months.

15 comments:

Paul said...

You are a beautiful woman Rain, but if you want to lose weight you should. It definitely can have some positive impact on your quality of life. I think that people 60+ feel, in general, a lot like you do. :-)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Great photos and good on working on self improvement.

Elaine said...

the link/site below probably saved my life... my eating habits and my sanity... all for free and was really fun in the process... it's a diet that is NOT a diet per se, but more like a nice, new way of life.. just wanted to share this with you this morning....love your posts BTW!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks, Elaine. That sounds interesting and I will check it out. Links like that which others have found would also be appreciated. I know some benefit from Curves but I live too far out in the country to do something in-city regularly enough to be of value.

Elaine said...

I use Sparks whenever necessary because I am waaaaaaay out in the toolies... so whatever guides me all has to be online... good luck!... E

Rain Trueax said...

Although I mention it in the profile, links unrelated to the topics will always be deleted even if the sender considers them valuable.

Rain Trueax said...

Blogger, with its new policy though, often gets to spammers before I can. I can't say enough how much I appreciate their spam removing addition. It works most of the time.

Celia said...

Go for it. I've lost about 25 pounds over the last year by slowly changing what I eat. More, lots more veggies and fruit. I slowly crossed some items off my food list, most desserts. Just one item at a time. Try to find a replacement, I make large pans of apple crisp from a recipe in Laurel's Kitchen. Good dessert, good snack, mostly fruit and oatmeal.

mandt said...

One of the things we all need to confront is the amount of repressed grief and/or stress we experience on a daily basis....it makes the body gain weight at a certain age. Walking is a great way to discharge it---also quiet meditation or creating art! peace, MandT

Unknown said...

Earlier this year Dorothy's doctor warned her that she is on the verge of becoming diabetic. Since I do the cooking I started getting diabetic recipes off the internet. We try to eat smaller portions with the meat no bigger than a deck cards and pile up the vegetables. A small between meal snack is important to keep the blood sugar level on an even keel and your hunger suppressed. If you get too hungry you will eat more. We've eliminated sugar from our diets. When I go to Wal-mart I park as far away from the store as possible and as I walk in I continue to do a couple of laps around the inside of the store before I start shopping. Since February we've lost 20 lbs. each and her blood sugar is under control.

Ingineer66 said...

Wally that is great. I see a lot of people at Walmart and similar stores that should be parking far away and not using the handicap spaces and one of those electric carts.
I agree with Mandt, walking is terrific exercise and also is good for the soul.

Taradharma said...

Good for you, Rain! Small tweaks in eating habits do make a big difference. Personally, I have discovered that really sticking to a moderate portion size seems to be miraculous. Seriously. Good food, moderate portions. When I'm really working on getting down a couple of pounds, I cut out the alcohol because it just stimulates my appetite.

I think the desire for health and well-being is a sign of vibrant living -- let us know where your journey takes you!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds like a do-able way to eat. I should probably be doing this so that I will lose weight, etc., etc., etc.....It is all so hard.

LOVE the pictures of those beautiful creatures....! They DO look very healthy! I bet they don't have to worry about dieting...(lol)

Anonymous said...

This is exactly where I am at right now, Rain. I really let things get out of hand this fall and I'm starting a new regimen. I don't diet anymore, but I sure could eat healthier--and I have started a food intake journal for the umpteenth time. At the used book sale I picked up a delightful and arty book called Our Lady of Weight Loss by Janice Taylor. "Miraculous and motivational musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal. After three months on the waiting list, a library book is just in: Geneen Roth's Women, Food and God. It has gotten very good reviews.

Mike McLaren said...

To earn extra money during college, I taught aerobic and weightlifting classes at all the health clubs in Fort Collins, Colorado. For awhile, I was such an addict of being in shape that I was so out of shape in the other direction that it got a bit scary: 6'1'', 145lbs, 1.5% body fat—got as gaunt as a walking skeleton.

Then, for ten years in the corporate world, eating nothing but sugar and donuts all day at work, and then eating out every evening, I went to 230 pounds.

Getting back to the "real" world, I got back to 160lbs.

But now I'm in the Willamette Valley, where the food and cheese are so good that I refuse to disallow myself such wonderful fare. I try not to eat too much, I buy all organic foods (90% of the time), preferably within 500 miles of home.

As long as I'm active (got a membership at the health club here in Philomath), I don't mind being heavier than I think I should be—decided I don't mind my "Buddha Belly"... ha ha ha.

I've known skinny folks who just keeled over dead. I've known fat folks who have just keeled over dead. I've known folks in between who have just keeled over dead. I've known folks of assorted weights who lived (and are living) longer than they wanted.

I don't want to live to be 100. I just want to get the most out of all the time I spend here... and food is a big part of it, just as sometimes sitting around and being lazy with a chocolate bar in my hand is just as much a part of that.

(Give up Tillamook cheese and Kettle chips... oh, never!)