Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Solstice


Wow, we made it. Finally we are at the darkest, shortest day of the year where from now on the days will gradually be longer and brighter even if they might not seem like it. I mark this day more than the ones to follow like Christmas (which wasn't really the birth of Christ even if you believe in Christ) and New Year's (which is arbitrarily chosen as a new beginning because it was handy for calendars of its time and still today).

Holidays can be tough times for many people because of expectations, memories, but Solstices are real, not man-made. They are when they are. It's one of the things I like about paganism. It makes sense in a natural way. Most of the days it celebrates are a logical part of a yearly cycle. They celebrate life and its rhythms. Whether you believe in a god or not, this is earth's truth-- today is the shortest day and longest night of the year.


The Solstices are reminders of the cycle of life, of death and rebirth. Today most places in the Northern Hemisphere, the plants are dormant. They look to be dead but their energy is waiting within them. Soon they will spring to life again. Are they as excited as I am? Likely not. The shortest day of the year is about beginnings. Another year is about to begin again.


Photos were taken at Sabino Canyon December 20th, and although it looks anything but dormant with its autumn colors still lingering on, it seemed very apropos for Winter Solstice pictures.

Sabino Canyon is one of the places you can find flowing water year round. The first time I was here (1965), we could drive to the end of the road (about four miles). The first time we brought our children here, we could still drive to the top. Then due to traffic and the narrowness of the road, they closed it to all motorized vehicles except those connected with its maintenance and trams which take people to the end of the road where they can walk whatever part that they choose or stay on it up and down.

Sometimes the stream overflows the bridges and more than once I have waded through it to go those two miles up. Sometimes it becomes a torrent, tearing out pieces of the roadway and blocking access to the stream for weeks or longer while the damage is repaired. One flood was so bad that the trams were blocked from going all the way to the top for months.

This time Farm Boss and I walked two miles up to enjoy all these autumn colors and the flowing stream. Of course, I had to wade, wouldn't you? This isn't like a lot of the desert hiking we do because there are a lot of other people here, but that is part of the enjoyment. I like hearing the bits of conversation as others pass and I wonder what did that mean? Who are those people to each other? Are those two on a date? Or were those father and daughter? It's a friendly place. It is easy to get off the road and away from other people when I want.

12 comments:

Paul said...

Very nice pics Rain and you are still a beautiful lady !

robin andrea said...

Happy Winter Solstice, rain. Yes, I agree that paganism makes the most sense. I love the celebration and ritual marking the return of the sun.

Darlene said...

Your post today fits right in with an op-ed piece in this morning's NYT on Pantheism. It makes a lot more sense than the man made rituals of religions. Nature has her own birth and death cycles and no man can change that.

I'm glad I took time to check your post today, Rain, because it has been years since I have been in Sabino Canyon. We used to drive up there for picnics in the summer. Along with Mr. Lemmon, it was a favorite spot. When they stopped allowing cars to go up I was terribly disappointed. I have taken the tram, but it just isn't the same. Beutiful photos and I will borrow a couple for my own pleasure, if I may.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Just beautiful pictures, Rain!

I wish to you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Rain Trueax said...

Definitely feel free to use them, Darlene :)

Mary Lou said...

I Knew I could count on you to post about Winter Solstice! Are you going to paint your body blue and wear a mud hat and dance in the moonlight? ;)

Dixon Webb said...

Rain . .

I second Paul

Dixon

Peggy said...

Happy solstice Rain, i love the natural celebration and the rituals. So in line with the way of nature!

Kay Dennison said...

Great photos and a wonderful perspective!!!!

My solstice candle has been burning since midnight yesterday and will last a while. I hope my prayers bring all the good things to me and my friends!

Is it weird for a Catholic to light a solstice candle? I always cover my bases. I also light my advent candles. I suspect they are a carryover from the pagans.

Happy Solstice!!!!

Mike McLaren said...

And just around the corner from the longest night of the cycle come Beltane and the Spring Equinox! I'm already thinking about the birth of a carrot seed.

joared said...

Lovely photos!

TorAa said...

What a beautiful nature.
NE Oregon?

Here in Oslo it's about 13 hours in day and night time difference between winter and summer solstice.

To day the Day is 1 minute longer than Dec 21. Hurray.