Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Possible Addiction?

Are you the type of person who gets into things and just can't let them go? In short-- are you an addictive personality? Every so often I come to terms with the fact that I apparently am. It happens with many things like when I start removing fallen leaves from the yard and driveway. I can't just let them be as soon as I see more come down.

Fortunately, with the farm, I have learned to not look at Farm Boss's territory because if I did, I'd constantly be trying to get things organized (not a happy idea for him or me) as he is not an addictive personality. He can just let things be. I would like to be more that way, but since I am this way still at 66, I doubt it's going to change anytime soon.

My latest example for addictive responses has been the Barbie doll dresses. It seemed so simple when I began. Scraps of material. Make some simple clothing. My granddaughter will be happy-- and she would have been.

After I had used my own fabric remnants, I began to think they weren't really the best ones for historic clothing. Oh I made them into dresses, skirts, blouse, accessories like a full length cape, apron (of course, pioneer woman), some shawls, and even a pair of pants which weren't likely pioneer woman attire unless they were men's. Well heck, an independent minded pioneer woman probably wore such when need be.

The thing was that I knew there had to still be better fabrics out there; and on one week-end, I found them. Quilting squares are the perfect size for a Barbie dress with wonderful colors, small patterns. Even more perfect they happened to be on sale at a dollar a square (about 18" x 22"). So I picked out 8. It's a wonder I stopped then.

Walking out of the store, I felt the emotions of a Midas who had found his her stash but wondered what she had been thinking to want it. That would have been bad enough, but I soon realized these dresses were going to require lace to really look right. How can you create fancy Barbie pioneer dresses (notice how this project is growing more complex) without lace.

I was still sure I had bits of lace here... except wherever I had packed them away, I have no clue. In stores, small laces turned out to be harder to find than I had anticipated. The ones I did find though were so pretty. I knew they would add so much to the next set of dresses. It's not like I'd have to sew up all eight dresses right away...

The first day, I made three...

It has definitely become a bit of an addiction, learning how to make hats (women of that era had to have hats), creating different styles, making them what I would have loved to have when I was a girl-- and it's a back killer for a woman 66. I think maybe if I got the sewing table down from the attic that it would be better.

Can you see this project growing by leaps and bounds? Somebody has to put a stop to it. After I used up the first quilting fabric, I bought more. Farm Boss is no help as he thinks the results are cute. He even made Barbie a western style vest and has helped me with some hand stitching (he's good at it). This project has forced me to do a bit of needle and thread work also (I'm not good at it).

Practically speaking, my home here is not well set up for craft projects. It's not even well set up for painting. I have my easel and paints in one end of the living room which means it's always in the way. Now I am going to add sewing?

Definitely I have to beat this habit before my granddaughter becomes swamped in Barbie outfits and my back demands I take it to the chiropractor.... Except it has been fun and better than listening to the news. I guess that's how all addictions start and grow-- justifying and ignoring the physical cost.

Because I wanted to have a record of the ones I made, I photographed them when I was finished and loaded them into a Picasa album. These are not all 20 0utfits as one I held back because it was a learning version. Although I could have waited for Christmas to give her these, she's growing up so fast, can I afford to wait?

I am not sure whether to file this under the category of proud or what was I thinking!

14 comments:

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Well, if you have an addiction then all fine art painters, fishermen, and non professional musicians are addicted.
Barbie now has a different character with your clothes. She is beautiful as a pioneer type. Now your granddaughter can learn to make her own clothes for her doll and herself.

robin andrea said...

Those are fantastic creations, rain! What a great idea to make those dresses for your grand-daughter's Barbie. Definitely file this under Proud. Just take care of that back and keep sewing!

Darlene said...

I love the maroon and the black and white print dresses. All of them are very pretty, but those two are a designer's dream.

I don't think you have an addiction; you have just found a hobby that pleases you. It isn't as if you couldn't stop if you wanted to. I know you have other interests and this is just frosting on the cake.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Are you kidding...you should definitely file these under 'proud.' They are wonderful Rain...and your granddaughter is one very lucky little girl that her grandma has a 'hobby'...not an addiction...that she is so good at and that she reaps the benefits of. I always wished I could sew beautiful things, but never really got into it and instead got into knitting and crocheting. My mother-in-law was the real seamstress in the family.

You do beautiful work Rain. I honestly can't pick a favorite out of the 20 outfits...they all are so terrific.

Rain Trueax said...

Thanks everyone. I realized when I was doing them that part of the appeal was that there was no pattern. Each one was an original creation cut to fit the doll; so it was creatively very satisfying. The little suit even has a reversible skirt that can be red and go with the jacket. It all turned into a challenge that I did enjoy. Unfortunately she's getting old enough she won't care about this much longer, but she had expressed a desire to learn to make them and if she is here sometime and still wants that, I can help her do it.

Dick said...

They are beautiful. I wouldn't worry about an "addiction" to this. I'm sure it will moderate itself before long. I have another blogger friend who has a costume company and I think I'll send a link to your blog to her. She would probably enjoy seeing them.

Kay Dennison said...

Lovely, Rain!!!!

'Addiction' is my middle name so I understand. Little projects grow huge because I like everything 'just so'.

Anonymous said...

If it weren't for addiction, nothing would ever get done around here! Our three, almost four, year old granddaughter got a similar Grama and Auntie gift last birthday. Only it was an 18" doll which would be much easier than the teensy little Barbie dresses. I say well done. She's going to love it. But do wait for Christmas. Can't Farm Boss make her a little armoire to hold all her new attire?

mandt said...

OMG Rain...You got to join a Barbie 12 Step Program, but on the other hand, seldom has an addiction been so artful or beautiful....maybe its a spiritual path :)

Dixon Webb said...

Rain . . . I don't get too excited about Barbie anything yet it's easy to admire your handiwork. Keep it going. It's a nice addiction.

Now if it involved motorcycles . . .

Dixon

joared said...

That's great, Rain! My mother-in-law delighted in crocheting all sorts of outfits without a pattern for my daughter's Barbie many years ago.

I think it's a fabulous idea. Can you turn this into a specialty business somehow?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am impressed! I think you did GREAT! AAnd so what if it is an addiction...It's not going up your nose...? (lol)
CONGRATULATIONS on this Collection of Barbie Clothes. The Red Carpet, anyone?

ainelivia said...

These outfits look wonderful and I really like the pioneer outfit idea. Suppose if you have made too many you could sell them on E-bay, or have a new career as a Barbie Designer... if I could make these I'd be really chuffed (english slang for well pleased with myself).

Laughing out loud at Old Lady of the Hills, comment about it not going up your nose, that's a good way to look at it.

PS You did this with no pattern, now I am really impressed Rain.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Welcome to addiction city which I've long belonged to on many levels. Your clothes, however, are smashing. You could open at Etsy shop and sell them. My favorite is the red one on the main page. I wish you were my grandma as I'll admit I do have a few dolls still myself that I dress now and then--and then there's Sophia the mannikin. My current addiction are art supplies. But, better than drinking and drugs, I tell myself.