Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A new sewing machine


In previous years, I did a lot of sewing. One of our first purchases after getting married was a simple Singer that had been converted from a treadle. With it, I made my maternity clothes as well as a lot of our family's clothing for the next ten years. To do an overcast stitch, I bought an attachment that moved the fabric back and forth. It was eventually replaced by a machine that could actually move the needle and do some embroidery stitches as well as overcast.

Those were the years of father and son wearing the same shirts for Easter or daughter and me in matching dresses. I got good enough to make sports jackets-- pity that Farm Boss didn't end up liking the fabric he had chosen for his.

Years passed and the kids were less enthused with having clothing matching their parents. Fabric became so expensive that I could buy clothes cheaper than sewing them. I put on weight which made figuring out what would look good got more complicated. My sewing machine quit stitching evenly and repair shops seemed unable to get it fixed. I wasn't sure I'd ever take up sewing again.

That lasted until my granddaughter began asking if I could make her some Barbie, pioneer clothing. The first time she asked, I put it off. But then she asked again. I realized if I didn't do it soon, she would no longer care; so I bought a new sewing machine (boy have they changed) and for the last week, I've been both learning how to use it (everything is digital) and making Barbie doll pioneer outfits.

From the years of sewing so much, I had fabric in sacks in the attic, but most of it wasn't appropriate for small figures. I still cannot figure where my stash of ribbons, lace and elastic had been stored.

In learning how to use the machine (my hands constantly want to go to where the levers were originally), I am designing clothing for the Barbie. When I went into the fabric store to look for appropriate fabrics, the prices were expensive. Nothing new there. It is amazing anyone still sews. I guess not as many do as I see less fabric stores. The one closest to me has coverted a lot of their space into craft project materials. I will look online to see what can be bought but fabric is one of those things I just have to feel with my fingers to know if I want it.

The thing is though that where it comes to pioneer Barbie clothes, there isn't anything like it that I found for sale-- cheaper or not. Today's Barbie clothes are short skirts and look like wantabe teen rock stars. To have my granddaughter want the old-fashioned dresses is to me a blessing.

More or less, I am trying to keep the dresses simple and still create things that make me feel proud and she will enjoy. I cannot believe the work that is involved in doing these tiny outfits. I definitely would only do it as a labor of love.

I have to admit-- between it and the leaf blower (I think most of the oak leaves have finally fallen), my back is complaining. This was a lot easier when I was in my twenties.

[Incidentally our trip to Tucson has been postponed yet again and now we are hoping to leave right after Thanksgiving... Best laid plans and all of that!]

12 comments:

Paul said...

I remeber helping my mother to cut patterns as a child. She was an expert seamstress and we would go to the dimestore and memorize patterns then go back home and we made our replicas without having to buy them. We would first cut out the pattern and then the cloth. :-)

Paul said...

TYPO-remember

Rain Trueax said...

sewing is a creative art for sure when it reaches that level. I have done that with these Barbie dresses. The first one I just cut out and did it; but realized I'd do better with paper patterns which I created. The last ones I have done with tape measure and cutting things to look like I expect them to look. When I sewed before, I made a few patterns but mostly adjusted ones I had bought.

When I started writing about this, I realized there were two more elements to it and have two more blogs on the subject of Barbies.

For anyone dying to write about what's going on politically, go back to the last blog or one before that and comment where I will also comment. For now, the Barbies are a nice break for me from a lot more upsetting things going on.

Darlene said...

I found that making doll clothes is a lot harder than full size dresses. Their joints are inflexible and trying to dress them is a hassle. Turning the sleeve of a tiny Barbie garment inside out is a challenge I don't want to do again.

I gave my sewing machine to my daughter and I think the only things she made were matching nightgowns for he girls to wear Christmas Eve. I have no desire to buy another one.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Before seeing Rain's machine, I was dubious about buying a new machine. But then I lifted it and realized that I could manage it. I still need to see if it can do heavy duty mending. Usually we only use sewing machines for mending. Or I go to the Salvation Army and buy a garment too big for me and I do alterations. Being short many pants that I buy need to be shortened.

Rita said...

You know Rain, I rarely comment on your blog and I know this one isn't one of your political post, but would it be so difficult for you to at least recognize that today is Veteran's Day and all of us are allowed our freedom of speech, religion, etc, because of their sacrifice?

This one's a little personal for me since my husband spent a year of his life in a foxhole after he was drafted and the thanks he got when he returned was people calling him a baby killer.

I know it goes against your beliefs, but thank God for our veterans. Guys like him allow you to express the very opinions that I completely disagree with. Let's hope those currently servicing allow all of us the freedom to disagree with each other.

Rain Trueax said...

It's good you said what you did, Rita. I like it that people comment here and express their opinions. This is something you obviously feel strongly about.

You are wrong about me though in how I feel about veterans or the military. I am not against the military and favor (unlike Senator Coburn) full benefits and totally equipping our military (in short not sending them to war without armor). Most liberals I know are in favor of such.

BUT if you will notice, I almost never comment here on dates of any sort. Once in a rare while but generally not and that includes special dates in my own life.

Actually, I thought about it for Veteran's Day this year because of the horrible thing the military suffered with the killings at Fort Hood but I commented on that already and am not one who favors symbolisms.

Personally I have veterans as close friends. I came to age during the Vietnam War and have heard my friends talk about what they suffered back then. My brother, who is a veteran, is going to live to be old because of a VA hospital; so it's not that I have anything against veterans. It's that I don't like days like these where people do something symbolic and then forget the whole issue the rest of the year or like Senator Coburn talk patriotic and block increased benefits for the Veterans who need help.

One of my pet peeves is how we tend to have these days, like say Sunday or Christmas or our birthdays and we make something out of them and forget the meaning of it the rest of the year.

And although I was against the Vietnam war, I know that when we send soldiers to fight, we can't expect them to do it nicey nice. What happened when those veterans returned home was a national disgrace. I do think our country learned something from that which didn't help those who fought and then got blamed for doing it.

So thanks for voicing your thoughts on this.

Rain Trueax said...

And in case I didn't make it clear. I was not one demonstrating over the Vietnam war. I saw the 'riots' on tv and was shocked as were many Americans by the ugliness. I did vote in a way intended to get the war over-- or at least it's what I hoped for. Frankly it seems no matter who we vote for, the same things happen

Rita said...

You're right Rain, we shouldn't wait for a special day to recognize our beliefs, so I judged your lack of a post too harshly.

But I know that over the last few years, more friends and family have made it a point to call my husband on Veteran's Day and believe me, those calls mean more and more to him every year.

One Vet's Story

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I sewed most of my kid's clothing, too and still have my first sewing machine, a Singer, from 1959. I envy you a new machine, but I don't sew enough any more to warrant it--although a lot of art projects these days incorporate sewing.

I love that your granddaughter wants pioneer clothing. Mostly Barbie looks like a slut these days, but maybe she always did.

You'll be really ready by the time you go to Tucson.

mandt said...

Rain, With you at the haute design machine, that Barbie is not gonna look like some drab Republican matron!

Rain Trueax said...

Another blog is coming-- eventually-- on the clothes I made; so you can decide if they are drab :)