Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Tuesday, September 29, 2009

National Parks

Last night I saw the second episode of six-- Ken Burns' documentary The National Parks: America's Best Idea. (It will be repeated for those who cannot see them all consecutively). I have been blown away. I expected something nice but this went way beyond nice. I wish every American could see it. Scratch that-- everybody period because it calls to the better nature in humans

Burns isn't just showing us the beauty of our National Parks, although there is plenty of that, but giving us their history-- the full deal. If we thought that Americans today were greedier than in the past, this shows us the battle that was fought to protect these beautiful treasures from exploitation. It shows us the heroes and the ones who would have despoiled anything to make personal profit. He gives the United States full credit for preserving these parks at a time when no country had done such a thing with their own natural wonders. So many times such places are set aside for the rich-- not so our national parks.

Burns tells us a story of the beauty of nature as well as of the nature of mankind. It goes from the noblest to the basest and inspires us to reach to our own higher self.

What makes money so precious? It's not like we can take it with us but someone like John Muir, who fought for Yosemite, his legacy does last and lets every American, from the richest to the poorest, join together to feel awe at something bigger than any of us.

The point of the documentary is that it's through nature and wildness that we are made more truly who we were born to be. It's something I believe. I also have always thought how wonderful that someone back then set these places aside. Even today they are at risk. One generation saved these places, but each generation must do their part to keep them safe.

Burns' documentary reminds us of something we as Americans can justly feel proud and at the same time that we must safeguard from those who still see making money as their only worthwhile goal. This is not an issue of partisanship but of seeing the value of nature, and that attitude can be found in those from every party or political persuasion.

10 comments:

Peggy said...

Rain;

I have been watching the National Park series also and loving it. I orriginally taped them for my son but I just love what I have seen so far! Glad you wrote about the series here!

robin andrea said...

One generation saved these places, but each generation must do their part to keep them safe.
That is so profoundly true, rain. I watched a bit of the first night's show, but have been busy with the move to keep up with it. It sounds like a remarkable documentary: A celebration of the beauty and wildness that is our earth.

Ingineer66 said...

I watched a little of it. Good stuff. I would like to see the entire series. I love learning about our National Parks especially the obscure, out of the way ones.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I regret that I can not see the series because I do not have OPB. But an article in the October National Geographics is very much the same idea. Read the "Tallest Trees" about Mike Fay who in 2007 wanted to see how the world's tallest forest was faring by making an eleven month treck of the entire mythic range. He photographed, and recorded the condition of the forest and streams. He talked to people of the redwoods - loggers, foresters, biologists, environmentalists, cafe owners, and timber company executives all dependent on the forest. He wanted to find out if there was a way to maximize all the many ecological and social benefits of the forest. During the Bush administration there were very big losses of timber to clear cutting but now there is hope of truely sustainable forest management.
Like the other great wonders of our environment there are parks set aside. Other than Yosemity with the Sequoia Gigantia, I am not aware of a National Park dedicated to the Coastal Sequoia. But like the National Parks, there were heroes who saved a small parts of the original forest and like what is happening to National Parks, there are greedy people who have no thought for the future threatening their existance.
I have a special place in my heart for the redwood forests where I went camping with my family as a child.

Rain Trueax said...

National Monuments, such as where I was recently in the John Day (and will be writing more about) can be established by a president's decree or Congress and don't require the difficulties that getting a national park runs into. This is a list of the ones in the US-- National Monuments of the US. Teddy Roosevelt benefited from the law that permitted this or rather we benefited from him being president when the law was enacted. Our nation still benefits from it.

Ingineer66 said...

I read that article this past weekend Parapluie, I loved the photography, but still do not understand why he would hike in the forest like that with open sandals on instead of boots.

Ingineer66 said...

That is a neat list of monuments Rain. Although I will probably not complete it, I sure would like to visit each one some day.

lauren lane said...

I think the National Forests and all of Nature should be preserved, especially in areas where the building has gone out of control. We need some trees and "green" stuff around...or we will go totally mad.

joared said...

Yes, I've watched some of these Nat'l Parks pgms and will eventually see them all, I expect, since it's likely they'll be shown several times in various time slots.

Burns has done an excellent job with his insightful commentary.

I was less enamored with some of his jazz series as were some musicians I knew but it was a perspective.

Allan Erickson said...

Ken Burns' Nat'l park series is better than good, it's terrific. The photography is stunning, the stories well told, the history comprehensive and overall just a wonderful work.

And I agree with everyone here... such a treasure these parks and the efforts of so many to establish them - often against great opposition - deserves recognition.

And yes, Parapluie, there is a Redwood National Park for the coastal redwoods. In fact it's called the Redwood National Park. A long time friend of mine is a ranger there at the RNP Interpretive Center at Orick. True though, they didn't save enough of the coastal redwwods. As a former seller of redwood lumber the tale of these great trees' demise is a sad stain on our national conscience.