Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, July 27, 2009

Cowboy Ethics


Cowboy Ethics by James P. Owen, photographs by David R. Stoecklein, has as part of its title, 'What Wall Street Can Learn from the Code of the West.' Shortly after I received my copy from Amazon, I saw an article in the New York Times that seemed to along with the thinking: [The Nanny Nation].

What the book and the article refer to is the mythology of the West, some of which is still true today and some of which was never true but has been part of the American story.

When I think of the cowboys I know, and I know more than a few, they are men who do try to hold to a code whether they always succeed or not. They are men of hard work who often only 'retire' when their bodies give out and that's more likely to be 90 (if they live that long) than 65. They stick to a job because no one else will come along to finish it. They don't expect somebody else can clean up their messes because nobody is there to do it.

The book Cowboy Ethics is as much about the mythical West that John Wayne so often exemplified as it is the real deal. You can go around dressed like a cowboy but have no idea what the job is all about. Real cowboys got a bad rap when Bush rode into the White House on its ethos but really only knew about the expensive home on land that used to be ranch land, the pick-up truck, cowboy hat, and boots.

There weren't a lot of the real cowboys back in the West. There aren't a lot today but the ethic, of which the book speaks, that many of us grew up believing was the right way, that still represents, to me, a good way to live and treat others.

One of the things I hear a lot today is how it doesn't matter what you do or what choices you make-- it all works out. You don't hear a rancher say that. Ranchers know that if you don't feed the cattle, get them wormed, vaccinate when required, pull newborn calves when they are in trouble, build fences the right way, maintain them, shepherd the grass, store enough hay for the winter, build good relationships with neighbors, sell stock at the right time, you won't be in the business long.

When businesses fail at their management, they should lose, but that stopped in our country in 1971 when President Nixon decided Lockheed Martin was too big to fail. From that time until today we see corporation after corporation, bank after bank, that if they are big enough, find the government supporting their mismanagement. It's always done to benefit the country-- or so they say; but it ignores the reason for the problem. It rewards failure for those big enough and slowly erodes a sense of consequences.

Sometimes I think what has gone wrong with us is that we are not connected enough to consequences. Ranchers know about consequences and yes so do some other professions, that are more physically on-the-line with rules of physics that cannot be ignored. You can't tell those kind of people that it doesn't matter what they do, because they know different.

There are absolutes for the rest of us too, and I don't think they come out of any holy book but rather from being taught by our parents, by looking at how life works, making mistakes and learning from them, finding our place in the world. We need a personal code of ethics by which we live and that others know they can count on us to abide by. Here is the Code of the West from the book Cowboy Ethics:

1. Live each day with courage.
2. Take pride in your work.
3. Always finish what you start.
4. Do what has to be done.
5. Be tough, but fair.
6. When you make a promise, keep it.
7. Ride for the brand.
8. Talk less and say more.
9. Remember that some things aren't for sale.
10. Know when to draw the line.

You don't have to be a cowboy to live by that code.

7 comments:

Dixon Webb said...

Good Morning Rain . . . As usual, a great blog today. I read a few Max Brand and Zane Grey books as a kid, then somehow got hooked on Louis L'Mour during the Korean War. Read every one - which is no small accomplishment.

Black Hat Louis famously said once that "he could write sitting on street car tracks in an earthquake". Sure wish I could.

The myths of the west are endless, and the actual cowboys were indeed few - but the campfire myths and stories describe an important part of the American stereotype.

I'll bet they NEVER thought about politics.

Dixon

mandt said...

Well done..excellent article!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I guess Sarah Palin does not live by the cow boy ethic.
People who live by the cow boy ethic are positive builders who go out and help their neighbors raise barns.
Today's urban world is detatched from the laws of nature and we have lost knowing all our neighbors personally. So we begrudge giving them a hand up like barn building was for ranchers. We feel it isn't fair because we would have to pay more taxes to help the people who have less. They must be lazy.

Mary Lou said...

would you send me an email so I can get your email address again...I need to ask a question and I lost your email. I know your first name, but cant remember your email. I am soooo Bad!

I have questions on health care.

Ingineer66 said...

Why does the left hate republicans so much? I disagree with almost all of Obama's political views, but I would enjoy having a beer with him. And I probably would even enjoy discussing politics with him. I have discussed this with some of my conservative friends and we feel about the same way. But many of my liberal friends just say the meanest things about Newt or W. or Palin. I just do not understand why the people that preach love and tolerance have all that rage and hate inside them.

Rain Trueax said...

How do you know someone hates another, ingineer? I get accused of that whenever I mention what Bush, Cheney or others like them did/do. When I speak about Palin it's about what she says and claims to do, her lies, the deceptions that are so tolerated by the right. It's not hate. It's disrespect for what they stand for and what gets me with the right is why do they defend their people no matter what they do? Look at what Bush did to this country and then you tell me I should want to have dinner with him? That's a long way from hating someone though.

And you might have a beer with Obama but a lot on the right wouldn't even remotely say that. They are accusing him of not even being a citizen and ignoring any proof that goes contrary to that. They are doing all they can to encourage an uprising. I would say that's worse than not being willing to sit down and have a beer with someone.

As for me, I don't promote love and tolerance when it's of what I consider bad things. Being tolerant isn't always a virtue. And I don't remotely pretend I love everybody and everything. I don't though hate anybody either.

When we were at Klamath Lake, the kids quickly discovered that if you waded in the reeds, you got leeches stuck to your feet and ankles. Now I wouldn't say I hated those leeches. They were just doing their thing, but that didn't make me want to hang around them *s*

Ingineer66 said...

Excellent response Rain. And come on Bush would be a great guy to have a beer with. Run the country maybe not, but he would probably be a blast on a night on the town.