Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lists! We got lists!

Are you like me, that when you see a list of something, you like to see what's on it? So maybe it's 2009 Top 100 Places to Live and even though it will likely change every year (how is that possible?), I still want to see what places were on it and did I agree with the authors. Sometimes when I get to #1, I am shaking my head. They can't be serious, but I still am attracted to those lists.

When I came across the 50 Most Glamorous Women of 2009, it landed me on a site that made my virus/spam checker very unhappy. It kept popping up warnings every time I clicked on a photo. Bad site! Block Access! which I would faithfully do.

Normally that would be all it would take to get me off a site, but not this time. I had already seen that Queen Latifah had beat out Demi Moore. How was that possible? Beautiful yes, but more glamorous?!? They had to be kidding. So I kept telling my unhappy virus checker to go ahead and block access (isn't that what I pay it for... well actually this one is a free checker) and we trudged forward. Who could possibly be #1.

About the time I reached #37, and my virus checker was threatening divorce, I realized this was nuts. There likely were other places online that had the list. There were. 50 Most Glamorous Women of 2009 is safe (according to my much more relaxed virus and spam checker). It pleased me more also as it went much faster. I won't tell you who made #1 but it wasn't a bad choice. Just was it that glamorous???

Is glamour another word that used to have meaning but today has lost it? Although all the women on the list were beautiful, did the people putting out the list understand what glamour even meant? To me, it isn't about appearing in baggy sweats every time you aren't on a red carpet. Glamour is not beauty as such but something else and maybe it's undefinable but don't we know it when we see it? On that list, it was a mixed bag as to how often I saw it.

Even though this list came from Glamour magazine, I don't think they get what glamour is. To be honest, I don't think of Glamour magazine when I think about glamour but more Vogue or even Harper's Bazaar. Glamour magazine has seemed to me more about youthful, healthy beauty-- well as healthy as modeling gets.

Earlier, for obvious reasons, I had gotten sucked in by this interesting list: 6 of the World's Most Beautiful Older Women. I didn't disagree with the six they listed although they left out a lot, but they never claimed they were the only or the most beautiful. Maybe beauty is easier to judge than glamour... or maybe not.

(Yes, I know Americans spell it glamor but that doesn't look right to me even though my spell checker kept reminding me I was wrong. I used the same spelling the UK and magazine do.)

7 comments:

robin andrea said...

I liked the list of the six older beautiful women. They were right. They are quite beautiful.

Paul said...

Helen Mirren does it for me. How about a vacation to scenic Bangaladesh ?

Ingineer66 said...

On the 6 women, I will agree that Iman is very beautiful and Sofia Loren and Helen Mirren also deserve to be on the list. But Blythe Danner is much more pretty than any of the others on the list. And Angelica Huston looks like a vampire.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I could keep on looking at these older beautiful women. Thanks for finding these lists.

donna said...

Eh. Other than Gloria, they all have on too much makeup and look like ass.

Older women look far better with less makeup, imho. Otherwise you just look like you're trying too damn hard.

Heck, most younger women look better with less makeup, too. I hate the thick black eyeliner look and the far too heavy mascara, as well as the tight-faced shiny look some of these women are wearing.

Paul said...

Anjelica Huston and Sophis (Mama Mia) Loren rock my world too !!

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I especially liked the six older women. I have long adored Anjelica Huston, Sophia Loren and Helen Mirren--and, I think you should be on the list.