Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, April 20, 2009

Using Logic in politics

(Warning: Politics ahead)

Political Logic: If A is true and B is true, then so is C.
Logic: If A is true and B is true, C is also only if they both relate to C.

Trying to look at logic where it comes to extremists, the right wing in particular, is not possible. Listening to the righties who were out April 15th protesting taxes, suggesting they might like to secede, saying it's taxation without representation, was enough to cause anyone who did use logic to go nuts. The phrases were flung around and nothing had to relate to anything.

(Incidentally, if you are a right winger, who reads here or happens to come across this blog by chance, give me one example of logic, not hate, not fear, not platitudes, not I don't want to pay taxes (who does?), but actual logic for something that will help our country's economics right now. Ideally, then discuss it as in real programs, real ideas and what their success has been in the past not a series of catch phrases that Rush Limbaugh taught his followers. I might not agree with your ideas but real ideas are welcome.)

Coming home from Tucson to Oregon, once again while clicking through the radio stations, most of the time all I could find were right wing talk shows. By this time I partly understood why. Many of those small stations receive programs like Rush's for free. It's how he got his start in radio by having someone behind him big enough to give away the program which means the local station could get all the advertising revenue. Obviously he doesn't do that with the big stations today, but he still does for small venues. It gives him the reputation of having so many stations and leads to higher fees for the bigger venues.

Irritating as listening to that kind of host and caller was, I felt some reassurance when I got home and read an article that said the average age of listeners to talk radio was 67. Apparently younger people are using other media to get their ideas. Does this mean the era of right wing radio having a major influence will soon be past?

I have one strong opinion regarding talk radio, after listening to the hosts and their callers mutually stoking each other's ego, anger, fear and not bothering with facts on anything: Listening to this kind of thing cannot be good for the part of the brain that uses logic.

Did you know that 50% of Americans don't pay taxes? True according to right wing talk radio and Bill O'Reilly... or is it? Here is another look at the same question: the half of Americans don't pay taxes fraud.

The problem with sound bites is they don't have to involve facts. They could have a few facts, but then draw a conclusion not based on logic-- as in A + B might not equal C even if they both happen to be true.

It seems to me, an admitted leftie, that the intention of talk radio is to irritate-- everyone. Maybe they think it's like the grain of sand that irritates the oyster to create a pearl. I am not sure of their reasoning, but I think they irritate right and left-- but just with different results.

Talk radio as well as those emails that are sent around, usually from the right, require that responsible listeners or readers do some research to check facts. First are A and B true and then do they add together? How many people do any research? They see the numbers, the conclusion appeals to them, then they pass it on.

$3000 extra per family for carbon credit tax is how they reach the conclusion that Obama is raising taxes on the middle class despite his tax cuts for the same group: Gingrich rips Obama's 'energy tax. Keep in mind that this is a suggested program and has some offsets. Actual cost is an unknown factor. A + B and who knows what it equals for now. What if reducing our dependence on foreign oil has a net gain? I don't know it does, but the naysayers don't know that it doesn't.

When someone is exploring ideas rather than the scare talk, how about asking questions that might get us somewhere. Like: What are better solutions to cut our energy usage? Do we have an unhealthy dependence on foreign oil? Is there enough local oil to supply our needs/wants? Is part of our nation's roller coaster ride on costs (i.e. inflation and deflation) due to no control over energy costs?

But, if you are a right wing talk radio listener, it appears to me that you aren't wanting discussions like that-- especially not if it involves a lot of facts, dry details, or worst guests to discuss alternative ideas. You want to hear ranting, excitement, fear and anger while stirring in some paranoia. Glenn Beck fits the bill nicely.

The problem with a knee-jerk reaction from the right is they leave the question of what to do wide open with no options to consider other than from the left. Real discussions of viable ideas is what we need from the conservative and the liberal side. We aren't getting that from any right wing talk radio at least not that I heard on this trip.

Extreme right wingers probably number a few million and only a few of those are avid enough to come out to rallies such as we just had (which had around 300,000 across the nation); but those who do are clearly listening to leaders who stoke them up by shifting the facts to suit the situation and their cause.

An example: When it was Democrats who had lost the election in 2001, Sean Hannity was espousing how good citizens would not revolt, not demonstrate in the streets, but would instead work to make things better. Patriotism, baby! Sounds responsible, doesn't it? Now Hannity says revolution is just dandy. He grins at the talk of Texas seceding from the United States. Hey, what better way to express irritation than to revolt or secede? (75% of Texans didn't see it the way of their current governor. Might it be, because of his loose mouth, his being stoked to some of that right wing hysteria, that Texas will next elect Kay Bailey Hutchinson?)

One thing that really got me was the huge difference when I finally found (in the Sacramento area) an NPR station (not something I listen to much at home but then at home I don't listen to talk radio period). It was Fresh Air and Terry Gross was interviewing a financial expert who had headed the International Monetary Fund and now teaches economics at MIT. The questions, the articulate responses, the exploration of ideas was fresh air. There was no anger, no spiel but rather a look at what could help, what isn't helping, and where might we be heading.

Coming into Oregon, for the very first time, we found an actual liberal radio station, which was based in Portland but evidently had repeaters down state. By this time I could not stand to even listen to the first sentence by that hate-monger, Michael Savage. Anyway we heard Tom Hartman who had on guests to discuss various problems, one included Roger Hedgecock (right wing radio host, sometime substitute for Rush), and the two of them actually managed intelligent discussion of right wing extremists being targeted by Homeland Security and what that means.

Can you imagine if Homeland Security (like Hartman, I dislike the word homeland as it is a reminder of Nazi Germany and how fascism works) ignored groups which sometimes spawn militias which can turn violent-- think Timothy McVeigh! The United States has and will continue to also be looking at left wing extremists who are also capable of turning violent. For someone to think that extremists groups cannot turn violent, especially when being fed as they are today, they have to be suffering a failure of logic-- not to mention ignoring history.

Here are some links regarding the tea bagging groups (did these sweet old ladies parading against taxes understand what that term means in slang? Somebody has a sense of humor).


For satire in the grand old tradition, check out Daily Show regularly. This clip was of the laugh and shake my head kind: John Oliver Talks Tyranny with Tea Partiers. It reminded me of when we listened to the Sarah Palin supporters, who I would bet these people all were. There is a humorous irony in all of this-- except our nation is at stake.

If you don't know much about Rush Limbaugh, this expose from Vanity Fair is an excellent one-- as are many of their journalism pieces: Rush Limbaugh: The Man who Ate the G.O.P by Michael Wolff.

13 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Excellent post. I am tired of The Gospel according to Rush and the Neocons as I've often said. He is NOT a conservative. He's just a loudmouthed greedy you-know-what. The Republican Party has lost it's way and has replaced men of honor like Barry Goldwater with the likes of Rush and his Toadies like Anne Coulter and Sean Hannnity.

Logic? You want logic from people who from people hell-bent on destroying this country with their venom? It won't happen in this lifetime.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

There is no logic for emotional mob strategy.

Paul said...

Rain right wing radio and logic are estranged for the most part, but then I detest Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow ! She is as smug as Laura Ingraham in my book.

Darlene said...

I never knew how that windbag, Rush, got his start. Thanks for informing me.

Anyone who has read my ramblings know how I detest deception and how I am a stickler for facts.

With the conservative right wingers it's, facts be damned, full speed ahead.

I love Rachel Maddow because she does deal in facts. I do not find her smug at all. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that Keith Olbermann is the left's answer to Rush, but he is singing my song so I like him.

Mary Lou said...

LORDY!!! I listen to them and just laugh at the way they are trying to spew hatred! One of my favorites to laugh at is Mark Levin. He gets so mad his voice cracks. THen there is Brian and the Judge, who I must say sometimes actually DO make sense...I said SOMETIMES! But RUSH??? DOnt even wast my battery on listening to him. OH Yeah and Laura Ingram too.And I really like the way Rachel Maddow thumbs her nose at the right wing! She is so COOL!!

Ingineer66 said...

Of all the names that you mentioned Roger Hedgecock is the only one that I care for. He is my favorite substitute for Rush. Partially because he is from California so he sees the crazy things that go on out here and because he is down in San Diego so border security is an important issue for him.

Ingineer66 said...

And Rush did not give his programs away. He asked for the first commercial of the break and then the stations got the rest of the commercials. There was no set fee for his show like all the other shows were doing. He kept it simple and his marketing ideas really were genius, whether you agree with him or not (I am not really a fan) he has by far the biggest radio show in the country.

Rain Trueax said...

You are making the assumption that it is Limbaugh's brilliance. Who is Premiere radio? It's like the swift boaters who sunk Kerry. Who is behind a lot of this? Anyway this is the article that was my source for how these programs are funded: Limbaugh's dirty little secret.

It's interesting how the right is so eager to blame Soros for all success on the left but never looks for who might be behind the right both for funding and for the ideas...

And Hedgecock was quite reasonable as a guest on Air America.

Limbaugh evidently went after a caller who was criticizing him for being behind the wilder talk from the tea bagging. I have a feeling Limbaugh gets his ideas from someone else as I have heard him start out with one idea and switch it as soon as the right put out the official talking points. Of course, it might be a mighty wind that blows through the country :)

Ingineer66 said...

Who knows about what he thinks and says now. I am talking about his early days where he got famous at KFBK in Sacramento and then was carried by KNBR in SFO which is a sports station. Now it is all big business that is why KSFO pays to have him and the sports station does not.
I listen to KFBK almost daily and other people have said that he was the smarts behind getting his show out there, so who knows.

And when I first started listening to Rush they had liberal on in the afternoon. Her name was Christine Craft. She made people so mad they did not keep her around long.

And big names have been involved in politics and entertainment for years. Soros with the liberal causes, Oprah buying Rap music stations and changing their format to something else. It is nothing new.
And I looked up Premier Radio. They have all kinds of programs for all kinds of music and radio formats. They seem to be about making money, not politics. If liberal radio programs made money I am sure they would have more of them.

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

I have only listened twice to Rush Limbaugh and couldn't believe that anyone would find him palatable. I don't listen to "talk radio" per se; I have NPR (KPCC Pasadena) on when I'm in my own area. When out of the area I also hunt for NPR, or I play classical music, golden oldies, or I listen to a recorded book.

Unlike you, I shy away from politics, or at least discussing it publicly or on the blog. But, my own blog has lost its focus.

Glad you got home safe and sound to Oregon.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

My dear Rain...I LOVE your Passion and how smart you are and how fair and logical.
Something has happened to me and I cannot bear all of the dissenion that is going on...I NEVER listened to any TALK Radio....(The only place I might have would have been in my car....The possibility of Accidents always kept me from listening to all that....Music Tapes got my attention.)
Now, I don't want to watch any of the MSNBC people anymore...(I never watched FOX or CNN...)
I just need a rest from all of this this....Too much happening in my life, I guess, that seems to need my energy and emotion.
But I thank you with all my heart for ALL that you write....

Ingineer66 said...

OK on your link to the article about half of Americans not paying taxes. First off the statement is that half of Americans do not pay Income Taxes. Nobody on the right has ever brought up the FICA tax as being part of that statistic like your article does. Everyone pays FICA tax on their income just like everyone that buys gas pays gas tax. They are different taxes.
And the Earned Income Credit offsets even the FICA tax for low income people.

The author tries to twist the facts to suit his left wing stance. If you are going to start lumping all taxes together then we will have to start balancing Obama's $15 a week middle class tax cut with all of the other taxes that he is raising.

Rain Trueax said...

The point was that the 50% was meaningless as it implied half the people in this country were getting a free ride. Why even discuss it since some are self employed and we already know that about 25% are out of work period which means not paying taxes.

And we should look at ALL the ways we pay taxes to decide whether it's working. When Bush cut taxes, the richest got the biggest cuts and the working guys got increased fees. It all should be considered to see if it's a good deal!