Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pacific Ocean

One of the things I love about living in the West is how easy it is to go from one type of terrain to another and within a short drive-- relatively. There are forested mountains, rivers, lakes, deserts and the ocean. Last week I was wading a desert stream. (I am rarely near water without wading, swimming or at least getting my hand dipped in it.) This week I was wading in the Pacific Ocean.
The stream did not surprise me by several higher than expected waves-- although desert streams are fully capable of doing that and more. (When in the desert, near streams or rivers, one must keep an eye out for the possibility of flash floods. They can come from storms miles away and out of sight.) The ocean wave that surprised me was really two-- a bit higher than expected and not remotely dangerous although I hadn't planned to wade more than knee deep. When I am at the ocean, I always keep my eyes on the surf-- except when I am having my photo taken.
These photos are all from this week-end. The people you see in the one above are our family-- four adult kids (two by birth and two by marriage) and four grandchildren. This beach was more or less private for those who had houses on it, not readily accessible for others.

It was a wonderful week-end with perfect beach weather. It was a lovely house to rent with a view of the beach from the windows, dunes right outside the deck providing safe places for the children to play. We had lots of laughter, interesting conversations, good food, hugging time with grandkids, and the Pacific Ocean. It was good. Oh, I said that.
The last photo is of Seal Rock on our way home Sunday morning.

12 comments:

Paul said...

Lovely pics and such a lady !!

Ugich Konitari said...

Rain,

It just struck me. Isnt it amazing how good vibes , cheer and a sense of optimism can be generated through a feel good, post with pictures of natural elements, like you have shown.

Just felt very good after reading the post !

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

It has been awhile since, I stayed overnight at the Oregon Coast and these pictures wet my appetite for it. At least I am also enjoying the spring in the forest closer to home.

robin andrea said...

Wonderful to see your Oregon coast photos, rain. Such an amazing coastline.

Ingineer66 said...

Beautiful photos Rain. Wish I was there. But then again I have been enjoying sitting by and jumping in my new swimming pool with this current hot spell.

Mary Lou said...

I really need to get to the Oregon Coast! It has been almost 50 years since I was there! No excuse for that!

Darlene said...

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time and that the weather cooperated.

You left Tucson just in time. I think the temp is around 95* today. Summer has arrived with virtually no Spring in between winter. I may have to turn the air conditioning on today. We are already using it in cars.

Dick said...

I might be able to get Pat to agree to take the RV on a 7 to 10 day trip along the Oregon Coast. It sure is beautiful and if the fuel prices stay down it would be a fairly inexpensive trip. It she doesn't want to go that long we can at least go to the Washington Coast for a few days.

joared said...

Really spectacular photos. I, too, have always enjoyed the water from the smallest streams to the oceans.

Paul said...

I am heading to Hawaii on the 8th of next month...:-)

J said...

Oh, gorgeous. The ocean is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL Beach and Ocean....And that Sunset! WOW!
It looks like such a peaceful serene place....! Lovely pictures, my dear Rain.