Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Saturday, April 11, 2009

The many shades of orange


Orange flowers appear on several types of cactii. In the photo, you can see and almost feel the waxy quality of the blossoms. From what I can tell (not the most sensitive nose here despite its size!), these don't have an obvious fragrance-- unless you are an insect. The ones that bloom fragrant enough to fill a desert draw will not appear until we have left the desert. They bloom at night and attract bats to spread their pollen.

When I am out on the desert, looking for each perfect blossom, it's one of the more relaxing experiences I have. Being able to photograph them and share them here adds to that enjoyment.

I suppose the desert is one of those things you either love or hate and I have been in the love category since 1965 when I first set foot on it. Back then it was late summer, and the cactus weren't in bloom. It was a strange and somewhat alien world to a girl who had grown up in the forests of the Pacific Northwest, but it spoke to my heart and still does.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Beautiful photos, as usual, Rain. I am especially awed by your photo of the Cholla blossom. People may not know that this is a very small flower and difficult to photograph.

Happy Easter to you an Paul.

robin andrea said...

A lovely look at those desert blooms, rain. Quite beautiful.