Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, February 05, 2009

Child of the Moon

This computer painting is not a self portrait but more what I feel about the moon. I have painted the moon many times but usually not the crescent which I really liked the other night. I enlarged the size of the moon to emphasize its power for the woman. It is a waxing moon, which means a growing time. The moon is anima.

If there is a purist Jungian reading this, I understand anima is considered man's inner female self and animus is the female's inner male; but this computer painting just has to be anima, which can also mean the inner self or soul . The moon is female.

Marge Piercy wrote a poem to this point, [The Moon is Always Female]. Here are a few lines from near its end:

"I have wandered these chambers in the rock
where the moon freezes the air and all hair
is black or silver. Now I will tell you
what I have learned lying under the moon
naked as women do: now I will tell you
the changes of the high and lower moon."

If you have never tried painting with the computer, you might enjoy it as a relaxing and no pressure way to create without the need for an end product that often stops people before they start.

For mine, I use the paint tools and palette from Corel Photo-Paint 7 and have written about the process before (more about that in Labels under art); and then more recently where I gathered my computer self-portraits and put them on their own blog at [Rainy Day Extras].

7 comments:

robin andrea said...

I always appreciate when you post one of your self portraits. It is mind boggling to me that you do this computer generated. It's quite beautiful. Wonderful poem.

Maithri said...

Absolutely stunning my friend,

Love your reflections as well,

Blessings of peace, M

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

One of these days, Rain. I love this art work and it is a self-portrait.

Ugich Konitari said...

Absolutely wonderful. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

The Moon poem----are you familiar with Mary Oliver's "Strawberry Moon?"
Also, the portraits are beautiful and inspiring....do you use a stylus program with Corell? peace MandT

Rain Trueax said...

No, I just use my mouse. I have familial tremors and I tried a stylus type drawing program which would give more options and let a person work further from the laptop or computer but i didn't have the control I needed which the mouse gives me. One thing nice about the computer for digital painting is if I goof and shake at the wrong time, I can undo... try that with oil paints.

Rain Trueax said...

and glad you all liked the digital painting. I am high on it as a way to be creative with low pressure. My grandkids enjoy it also.