Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winter photographs

In terms of scenery, I love the bare bones of the desert. Areas that others go through sighing there is nothing there, I am in awe over watching how a shadow falls, where I see multiple ridges of mountains. I like it when I see the lines, the openness; so it's not surprising I find aesthetic beauty in the Coast Range during the winter when the leaves are gone and the land is more revealed.

Yes, it's the season of mud or snow, rain and fog, but it's also the misty season when the bare bones of the hills and trees are revealed, the skies are much more interesting with their storm patterns, and I love trying to photograph what I feel. The misty quality seems to add a spirituality to the land which more lush times would hide.

It's not the season of harvesting but rather of waiting.


I live in a valley in the Oregon Coast Range but when I leave the farm on my way to town, it doesn't take long before I see the Cascades, a land of dormant volcanoes, tall trees, lakes and rivers. On the other side of them lies Central and Eastern Oregon with sage brush, pine, and juniper. This photo is of Mt. Jefferson.

6 comments:

robin andrea said...

There is a quiet beauty to winter. All those shades between black and white, a swatch of muted grays. Perfect ambiance for introspection.

Kay Dennison said...

I love these photos!!!! The reality of a day like today -- icy cold and gray -- is more attractive in a photo than reality. Gray days not only make me introspective, they make me sad.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sure is BEAUTIFUL there...Great Pictures that give one such a feeling of "place"....!

Sylvia K said...

Really beautiful photos. We're still gray and cold although "they" keep telling us we're going to have sunshine and warmer temps for the next ten days! And they get paid for building up our hopes and then they just shrug if off when it never happens. I should have been a weather person!

Darlene said...

The Mt. Jefferson photo is really spectacular with the sun shining on the snow while the rest of the sky is cloudy. I love it.

You would really love the desert this week. Our temperatures have been 72* during the day. Don't throw a snow ball at me, all of you who are digging out. We pay for it next summer. ;)

Fran aka Redondowriter said...

Beautiful photos, as always. I had to learn to love the desert; it happened all the years we dirt bike camped in the desert when the kids were growing up.