Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Fellow Americans

Many of us have been immersed in politics for at least the last two years, as this long campaign seemed to, at times, stretch almost back to 2004. As a recommendation for a mental health break, one that pokes fun at politics, might I suggest renting My Fellow Americans. If you have seen it before, you know why. If you have not, as we had not, you will have a great surprise ahead with a lot of laughs but also some digs that remain as true today as in 1996.

We hadn't seen it when it came out. To be honest, I hadn't heard of it, but one day we had found it in the reduced DVD section at Walmart or Target. From there it sat in our bookshelf for maybe a year or more until the night before the Inauguration when we needed something light and thought this was worth a try.

How can you go wrong with James Garner and Jack Lemmon playing warring ex-presidents, from very different political agendas, who suddenly find themselves forced to be allies in a run for their lives. These two old men are just so great as they cleverly remind us nothing has changed; and that is what made it so funny and at the same time sweet. There are few things as good as watching old pros at work in anything they do well. Let's hear it for age and experience!

If you are not yet convinced, this is a trailer from the film:

And a short clip from the film itself to give you an idea of the movie. Actually someone has evidently put the whole thing up on YouTube but my suggestion is rent it from Netflix or the old section in your video store, fix a bowl of popcorn, light a fire in the fireplace (if you have one if not some candles), and settle back for some laughs-- which are even funnier if you follow politics.

4 comments:

robin andrea said...

We just saw this movie recently. I think it's available as an Instant Watching on Netflix. It's an enjoyable, light movie with good humor and a wild story line. It is great to see Jack Lemmon and James Garner acting together. They make it look so easy.

Kay Dennison said...

I own a copy of this film and I really think it's fun -- a nice break after this longggg campaign. Always nice to see Lauren Bacall use her rapier wit playting a former First Lady as do Garner and Lemmon. I'm digging out all my favorite comedies this weekend. I need some laughs.

Sylvia K said...

I saw it some time ago and then again recently -- just to lighten up the current politics. I love it, think I just may order it again from Netflix! Great humor and I love Lemmon and Garner.

in time out said...

this is great. thanks for the post. i just came across your blog. and i really enjoy it. i hope i make it back soon.