Comments, relating to the topic, are welcome, add a great deal to a blog, but must be in English, with no profanity, hate-filled insults, or links (unless pre-approved).




Monday, December 22, 2008

What comes after a pretty snow

Do we draw to us what we worry about, or do we worry about something based on experience?


The answer to that question is one about which philosophers write books. From my observations, life provides no definitive answers (so far). If I had not remembered all the silver thaws I have seen, if I had believed the weathermen and kept a positive outlook, would the electricity still have gone out on our road last night? I don't have any for sure answer to that question but a theory-- which is be prepared for the possibility of repeating negative trends which often are beyond our physical control.

Sunday, about noon, we started to drive into town with the knowledge that while we still had plenty of snow, it (a mere 25 miles SE of us) had none. I had my first second thought when I felt a thin ice glazing on our gate; but farm boss said it meant nothing-- purely remanants. Snow and ice brings out the pioneer spirit in Farm Boss, which is a mixed blessing but he definitely is a positive thinker.

By the time we had driven about 10 miles, we saw a silver thaw developing. All the bushes were coated and turning that beautiful-- coated in ice look that means uh oh to anybody who has been around one. Based on past experiences, but hoping still for the best (weatherman predicted warming), Farm Boss decided it was best to turn around. Past experience trumped hope as it didn't warm up.

When I told farm boss that afternoon that he had to find the kerosene lamps, which neither of us remembered where they had been stashed, he was irked with me. Why do we need those right now? Pioneer spirit was getting in the way of a nap he had in mind. He finally found two of them (one is still misplaced) and was less irked a few hours later when we had them ready to use after the power went out for the second (and for Sunday) final time.

Between them, candles, woodstove, and fireplace, we had an okay evening even if less enjoyable than usual. What did people do in the evenings before electricity? Actually not an inappropriate way to end the darkest day of the year, the longest night, as it provided plenty of opportunity to stare into a fire meditating on when it would finally be time to go to bed.

No clue how long this will last as the weathermen had predicted 41 for Sunday... Yeah right as our power is still out this morning which is when Farm Boss set up the generator which enables basic cooking, keeping lights on, the computer, and/or television if we so desire (until we run out of gasoline). Heat is from the woodstove and hot water? What's that?

Although it's snowing again this morning, the frigid weather won't last forever. Will it? I can remember a few times where we had a week without electricity (one of them without a woodstove); and I have heard parts of New England are enduring one of those. So, yes I know it could be worse-- much worse.

Sometimes thinking positive is easier said than done, but experience tells me this too will pass. In the meantime-- ugh; and that song I always love so much at this time of the year, White Christmas, well, for now at least, it has lost its appeal.

Happy Hanukkah-- חנוכה
to all who celebrate the Jewish holiday
for the miracle of the oil that lasted 8 days

10 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah and Happy New Year and all the other celebrations this time of year. It looks like you are making the best of the weather and electricity situation. Last winter our power went out for the evening and the only thing that I really missed was the lack of internet. We get so used to things that just a few years ago we did not even have. I guess that is one reason why families were so big before electricity. What else is there to do on a cold winter night with no TV or computer, but to make babies.

Kay Dennison said...

I hope mine doesn't go out -- I'm ill-prepared for it. Oh well, I'll survive -- I always do.

The photos are wonderful!!!!!

Sylvia K said...

Love the photos, it's still a friggin' mess and I've had enough snow for a couple of years!

Anonymous said...

Rain, when we lived in Paraguay and didn't have electricity at all, lighting kerosene lamps in the evening was a normal ritual. Now of course if there's a power cut (especially if I'm on my computer) I'm furious!
In our affluent society it's easy to forget that things we consider our right are still a luxury to large numbers of people on the planet.
I hope you have a warm and bright and happy Christmas with your family and a great New Year.
xxx

robin andrea said...

Your photos are beautiful, rain. I love seeing that Varied Thrush, such a pretty bird. I hope the electricity has been restored by now, and all things have returned to their natural pace. Wishing you a wonderful, warm and safe holiday.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Rain mixed with snow and cooling temperatures is a true reality test for positive thinking? Perhaps positive thinking does not cover environment but only behavorial interactive hapenings. Areas where the mind can remotely change behavior or perception.

Dick said...

We in north west Washington State now have something like a foot and a half of snow and we rarely have any. I am ready to surrender and have it go away. Maybe we need to fire all the weathermen and hire new ones who don't know the word, "snow."

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Ohhhh My Dear! This is horrendous! Well, at least that is how it seems to me, my dear Rain....I admire your incredible spirit....I would be horribly upset about all this.....!

I hope you are able to have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a HAPPY HANNUKAH, too.....Given the prediciment you are in...! I'm so glad to know you have a generator.....Let's hope the gas does not give out, my dear!

Darlene said...

Having been snowbound several times (once for a week without any power) I can identify with you. An early bedtime is definitely called for.

Happy Holidays and may the power stay on tonight and tomorrow.

Suzann said...

Many Blessings to you dear Rain. You are so important in my life. Love and hugs.